My experience with my 7.3 Diesel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto360

Reaction score
Greetings,

I thought I would share my experience with the 7.3 diesel in my 2003 E350.  I know there is a thread asking if asking about diesels but I decided to just share my experience...then maybe it could help someone decide. Keep in mind, I'm not here to sway anyone one way or the other. Both have their plus and minus's.

I knew I wanted a Ford van...not because of brand bias but specific reasons. That left me with two options...actually three but I knew I didn't want the 4.6 V8 because I knew I would be pulling stuff. So that left me with either the 7.3 or the 5.4, and I was ok with either. I read the 5.4 has issues but I will bring up two things. My Dads 1998 Ford F150 has 220,000 miles on his 5.4 with no major problems at all and runs great. But Dad is also very particular with maintenance. Second, there is a website that advertises a 5.4 that went over one million miles. Just google it, you'll find it. So, with all that said, I was perfectly fine with a 5.4.  
But, by a "stroke" of luck I found my van for sale with 140,000 miles for $6500 and it was in exceptional condition for a cargo van with not a spec of rust. Lucky me!...and it had the 7.3...the last year for them.

I'm happy with my 7.3, I like knowing that I have an engine that can see extremely high mileages. I have no desire for performance upgrades unless I know without a doubt there will be no ill effects of reliability or longevity.

I like knowing that I can pull some pretty hefty loads although I don't pull "hefty" loads. 

My van now has 205,327 miles on it. Its been very reliable but not completely trouble free. Let me share some things.
My fuel bowl got a leak, which is common on the 7.3's, during a six week road trip to the northwest. I took it to a place that worked on powerstrokes and it was over $500 to repair. Yikes! 
Alternator went out. I fixed that myself.
On my way home from a ten day trip I had some idle sensor (forget exact name) go out. Van ran but didn't idle great. Little over $300 at a shop.
Last summer on a one month trip I sprang an oil leak somewhere. Thought it was my main seal but it was actually the seal on the High Pressure oil pump (HPOP). I fixed this myself. Three days of very intensive labor for a $40 seal. I had to take everything off from the top of the engine which includes the turbo. If I had to pay someone to do this I'm sure it would have been well over a $1000. 
Two months ago I replaced the glow plug relay. $40 and I did the work. 
Also did serpentine belt and hoses but just because. 
The idle sensor would have been a piece of cake (relative to working on a van) but I didn't have time to diagnosis the problem. I could have saved over $200 dollars.

Routine maintenance:
Remember diesels have two starting batteries. I've done those twice now. But I did kill them real good a couple times and that is not good for longevity.  
Oil changes- I do them myself at 5-6000 miles but they are still expensive. Lots of oil. Plus expensive oil filter and then an expensive fuel filter every other oil change.  I use WIX brand filters.

The more I learn and work on my 7.3 the better I feel. Working on a van is not easy because so much has to come off to get to stuff. But, after a while it becomes much easier. Knowledge and a can-do attitude is crucial. When I'm done school(graduate) and actually have a pay check, I will pay a "gifted" powerstroke guru to point to me what does what. I want to know my sensors and what they do. 

I really really don't want to have to replace my injectors because they are expensive!!! About $4000! You could probably replace a 5.4 for that price. 

So, Diesels are not cheap but there are reports of these engines going to 500,000 miles and beyond and that will make this all worth it. I'm very gentle on mine.

Powerstrokehelp.com is a great source for the Ford diesels...I got that piece of advice from a different thread here. Invaluable info! The 6.0's can be made to be reliable also. 

Fuel mileage- I don't check it anymore. It is what it is. I'm sure its better than the gas but all things being equal I don't know if the diesel is that much better cost wise...unless I get 500,000 out of mine. LOL

I hope this has helped anyone trying to decide which to choose. If you want detail, PM and I'll give you my number.

I'd love to have that van, especially if it's not extended. O e day I may find one at a reasonable price like you did. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts