LFI: Charging For Dummies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Came across this, seems a good fit to me, likely "enough" for your daily use, lighter and less costly than other options. Anker is well-respected as a brand, and this seems to be a genuine sale ATM, buying direct so no warranty problems.

https://www.anker.com/deals/powerhouse2

The prices are coming down!  Pull off the inverter and this is pretty close to my price.  As is, ~$10/usable ah, assuming 90%.

Didn't make the connection, thanks. I did make the same concerns clear here above, terrible value IMO compared to higher capacity DIY setups, and just not enough for extended time away from a charge source.

But OP is simply unable to use the larger batteries, and at least this size will carry a laptop a bit longer than the even smaller powerpacks. Depending on usage pattern and access to mains, might still need two of them.

Yes all these all-in-one's built in shore power chargers are pitifully underpowered for this sort of use case, given the very high acceptance rate of the battery.

Unfortunately I haven't seen 20+A chargers in a portable form factor.

If I were involved there I'd raise donations for a single high-amp charger that stays in the church, give a list of recommended power storage units for the clients to use with it.

This world isn said:
It's hard to sit in the same area for hours on end but you'd be surprised how much recharging you can get from library or coffeeshop ac plugs in just an hour or two...

Is it healthy for a lithium battery to only get partial charges?

Headache said:
My laptop isn't anything remotely high end and struggles with the latest Warcraft expansion. 

You mentioned you have a Toshiba satellite?  I have one and can see the real-time watts being used.  Maybe yours is similar?  Here is how to check it if yours is like mine: 
1.  Go to the lower right corner where it shows your battery/power.  Right click.
2. Click on Toshiba eco Utility,
3. From left column, click eco Mode,
4.  You will see "current power consumption: in the bottom right in real-time. (usually between 11-14 watts depending which power plan you are using)
5.  To save power set to "eco mode" at the top.
6. Next, (OPTIONAL) click on Battery Life Cycle at left column, (Read directions, like discharge at least 50% or something the first time...) 
7. Turn on eco charge mode.  The battery doesn't fully charge but it's supposed to be better if you are like me and have it plugged in all the time.

Play around with this and you will get it in no time. 

I don't know if you already know this, but you can separately from this, select power plans, and I use eco (to saw a little power) or Balanced.  That is different than what I just showed you.  Let me know if you need help. 

I know how it is.  I have posted things and people may be trying to help, but they don't read what you FIRST stated.  I had the same problem.  I told people I have NO money NOW (until after I sell/trade my car and sell my home), but they still tried to get me to buy things.  I also told them I knew nothing about the subject f batteries and they gave me extremely complicated (to me) answers.  There are some smart asses here, but there are also some really nice peeps who help (you know who you are)!  Just ignore the others!  I hope this helps.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Input/Entree 100-240 V 2.5 A 50-60 Hz
Output/Sortie 20 V 8.5 A

So at full power - which it doesn't always run at, another complication - my laptop will use 2.5 amp hours every hour it's plugged in.  (again, mathematically)
OP, my lap top uses about 11 watts in real-time, so how many amps is that?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I probably shouldn't tell you this, since it makes me look much less genius-like :D  but I just use Google for stuff like that.

Type in something like "convert mm to in" or "convert mA to amps" and a little widget pops up that lets you type in the known number directly and automagically gives you the answer.
OP,
I just tried it and it stumped me.  It has choices like DC, AC single phase and AC three phase... :huh:   Can you post a link please?  I think one of you geniuses need to do a Youtube video for beginners like us that goes in detail about the basics and then just refer us to that?  What do you think?  Someone very patient and like Mr. Rogers for us dummies.  LOL!   :D :angel: :heart:

John61CT said:
Came across this, seems a good fit to me, likely "enough" for your daily use, lighter and less costly than other options. Anker is well-respected as a brand, and this seems to be a genuine sale ATM, buying direct so no warranty problems.

https://www.anker.com/deals/powerhouse2

Is that a lithium battery?  I couldn't find that info on the site. ty

XFILE36 said:
Is it healthy for a lithium battery to only get partial charges?
Yes, does no harm, in fact trying to fill it too full will hurt lifetime.

For storage, lower SoC is better.

Bottom line is very fast fill-ups with a big enough charge source, no need to fill up all the way.

Only lead chemistry that allows this is Firefly Oasis, much cheaper at $500 / 100+AH, but G31 is too heavy for OP.

XFILE36 said:
Is that a lithium battery?  I couldn't find that info on the site. ty
Google says so.

In looking at reviews, https://www.google.com/search?q=anker+powerhouse+lithium+review

came across a WireCutter page for this category, very respected review site

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-portable-ac-power-supply-so-far/

Unfortunately kindness aside, the harsh realities of physics and economics still abide, best some of us can do is try to help educate so people can come up with a solution that fits their situation.

Factoids that seem irrelevant can help to spark an out of the box idea.

And sometimes when all seems hopeless strangers offer random acts of kindness, if one is willing to be open to new ideas and accept unexpected solutions.

John61C said:
For storage, lower SoC is better.

I already have a lithium, just wanted to know about the partial charges..What does your sentence above mean?

Note there are dozens of Li-ion chemistries, I am only talking about LiFePO4 aka Lithium Iron, LFP or Li-Fe.

SoC means State of Charge, how full the battery is, 0-100%.

If you are going to store a LFP battery, filling it up 100% and leaving it that way will be harmful to its longevity, opposite to what lead wants.

Much healthier to draw it down to say 15-20% before putting it on the shelf. Or even better in the fridge.

Only charge all the way full (3.45V until charge rate falls to .025C) when cycling regularly, ideally if you're going to start discharging within the hour.

If not then a top point of say 98% would be better for longevity.

John61CT said:
Unfortunately kindness aside, the harsh realities of physics and economics still abide, best some of us can do is try to help educate so people can come up with a solution that fits their situation.

Factoids that seem irrelevant can help to spark an out of the box idea.

And sometimes when all seems hopeless strangers offer random acts of kindness, if one is willing to be open to new ideas and accept unexpected solutions.

Kindness and speaking in an entry level way goes a long way when people say they no nothing about a subject.  You can teach someone the basics without going into too much technicals.  One day, I hope to be able to do that on this subject, so until then, I need kind, patient teachers. ;)

I am not anyone's teacher except accidentally, and do the best I can within time available.

Beginners also need to take some responsibility for self-learning, and asking Q's that are easily found googling isn't considerate either.