LFI: Charging For Dummies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XFILE36 said:
That is the link I had trouble with.
DC you know.

11W you said

19V I'm guessing, read your power brick.

Then push the button.

XFILE36 said:
I do no gaming, just youtube vids and this site mostly.
Talking about the OP.

Sorry if I repeated myself, and for any other offense given.

I'm learning new stuff every day myself.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I can only offer one suggestion here.  I read a blog once where somebody had a backpack with a power strip in it to which she had the power supplies for her phone, laptop, etc. plugged in.  She would go into the public library and set the bag down next to an outlet and plug the single cord from the powerstrip into it.  Done right, she only needed a couple of inches sticking out.  She would then sit there and read books or magazines while her stuff recharged.  Nobody ever said anything to her.  Probably didn't even notice, or if they did, they just didn't care.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Wow that is a great idea. I didn't think of using libraries to recharge.

John61CT said:
Came across this, seems a good fit to me, likely "enough" for your daily use, lighter and less costly than other options. Anker is well-respected as a brand, and this seems to be a genuine sale ATM, buying direct so no warranty problems.

https://www.anker.com/deals/powerhouse2

I'm confused about this thing. Does it have to be hooked up to a solar panel to recharge or can you charge it via an electrical outlet? On the site it shows how many charges you can get on various devices...is that on one full powerhouse charge? Is this something that you can plug a laptop in and use the laptop plugged in or is it strictly for recharging the laptop batteries and then you use unplug from the unit and run the laptop on the battery? This is looking like something I might be interested in. I want something that will allow me to run my laptop for about 5 hours a day. I'm not crazy about getting a deep cycle battery and running wires, dealing with an inverter, offgassing etc. Any thoughts?

XFILE36 said:
OP,
I just tried it and it stumped me.  It has choices like DC, AC single phase and AC three phase... :huh:   Can you post a link please?  I think one of you geniuses need to do a Youtube video for beginners like us that goes in detail about the basics and then just refer us to that?  What do you think?  Someone very patient and like Mr. Rogers for us dummies.  LOL!   :D :angel: :heart:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  Been a little busy.  On the Google page, input "Convert mAH to AH"

A results page comes up with links to a bunch of other sites, but right at the top, on the Google results page itself, there is a Google calculator app that you just input your number in.  Hope this link works:

https://www.google.com/#q=Convert+MAH+to+AH

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
I'm confused about this thing. Does it have to be hooked up to a solar panel to recharge or can you charge it via an electrical outlet?
Any DC power source that can charge a 12V battery, solar, car running, solar panel.

Also shore power, says 7 hours. Faster requires a more powerful (amps) AC charger than the one built in.

> is that on one full powerhouse charge?

yes

>Is this something that you can plug a laptop in and use the laptop plugged in or is it strictly for recharging the laptop batteries and then you use unplug from the unit and run the laptop on the battery?

either or both at the same time. most efficiently from 12V like when you plug laptop into ciggie port

How long the laptop runs depends what you're doing, gaming & videos push the GPU, uses more watts.

Worst case you get two and swap.

Yes convenient but DIY definitely cheaper and more AH capacity.

It does not include a solar panel.

Package Content
1x Suaoki Portable Power Supply
1x AC Wall Charger
1x Car Charging Cable
1x Solar Charging Cable
1x Pair of Jump Starter Clamps
1x User Manual

Wow big mistake. I bet if that's the case one could get a pretty big concession out of the seller after the fact, eBay is better than credit cards about enforcing refunds, clear case of deception there, they would have to pay return shipping.

John61CT said:
400WH = 30AH, 2 of the PPS-X will give more capacity, and yes has 19V output for laptop.

Are you saying the vicar won't let you recharge **anything** inside?

Then where will you be getting your power from?

The ArkPak is not DIY, no more wiring than this last one or the smaller power packs.

Why does it need 19V for a laptop? I just checked my computer charger and it says Output 19V 4.74 A
and Input 100-240V 1.5A

This may sound silly but if my laptop says 19V why would this work with a regular 12 V socket? Also why do the battery power packs have a DC plug? What would you plug in there? Also why does it give info about a pure sine wave? Is this important?

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
Why does it need 19V for a laptop? I just checked my computer charger and it says Output 19V 4.74 A
and Input 100-240V 1.5A
You are best off giving the computer exactly what it needs, which as you say is 19V DC.

Your AC charger converts from mains (grid) power, which is inefficient when you already have DC available.

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
This may sound silly but if my laptop says 19V why would this work with a regular 12 V socket? Also why do the battery power packs have a DC plug? What would you plug in there?
12V is a pretty universal standard for DC, and unfortunately "ciggie ports" are the most common interface. There would be a plug designed to feed your laptop that plugs in there.

Or you buy a little DC boost converter 12-->19V, with a large selection of tips, ensure the right size and polarity (center negative vs positive) for your laptop, and you're all set.

Most power packs have USB ports (5V) and 12V only, that particular one also has the DCDC converter for 19V built in, very convenient.

But not enough AH storage to run the laptop more than a few hours, depending what you're doing.

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
Also why does it give info about a pure sine wave? Is this important?
If you want to run a device that requires AC power, some require an inverter puts out a perfect sine wave, others are OK with modified/quasi sine.

You also need to check its startup wattage is lower than the inverter's max rating.

But best to stick to native DC devices if possible.

Yes just started seeing these come through eBay as well for a bit less.

Usual deception about amp hours at lowest voltage rather than using watt-hours.

Very low capacity, but as a front-end DC converter attached to a full-fledged 100+ AH battery with a proper charging system, could be very useful.

Pick it up and take it outside, keep your tablet alive most of the day.

But not enough for heavy laptop usage, maybe keep it going a few extra hours web browsing, editing docs.

and the AC inverter is picayune.

Please post a link to the replacement battery if you find out the specs.

I was going to join this thread....but, now I see chairs being thrown, I figure I had better just duck....

* slowly backs out the door*

wow, come on people I had to delete a bunch of posts. please play nice. highdesertranger