Three-way fridge wasted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
The fridge in my 'new' RV is completely wasted. To get it back up and running would require a new thermostat and be coming unit. That's about $550. A new one is $650-$850, depending on where I look.

Eventually I'll probably buy a replacement Three-way, but in the mean time since I'll be staying on property with 110 available, I'm thinking of using an old dorm fridge I have laying around.

What are your experiences with three-way fridges?

Just for the heck of it, turn your refer upside down for about 15 mins. then right side up. Sometimes if a 3 way refer is not level for long periods of time they need this readjustment. Its worth a try.

RV fridges do a very good job of keeping food cold and are quiet and reliable but they are expensive. Ours first one failed after about 7 years of fulltiming. I don't know if this is typical but it's something to look into. You may be able to save some money by going with a 2 way - 120 volt or propane. A lot of RV fridges are being built as 2 way without the 12 volt option. When we had a 3 way we never used the 12 volt because it would drain the batteries too fast. We run exclusively on propane. Since the fridge uses very little propane it's a fairly economical way to keep everything cold and safe to eat.

Turf the 3-way and buy a 12v compressor fridge. For the price of a new 3-way, you can buy a 12v compressor fridge and the solar panels to run it.. and it will work wayyyyyyy better than an absorption fridge. ..Willy.

Willy:  What happens when you have several dark rainy days (or more) in a row with no sun to charge the batteries?

INVITE NEIGHBORS AND CHOW DOWN, (SORRY COULD NOT RESIST) I HAVE A COMPRESSOR 2 WAY AND EXTREME COOLING CHEST BETWEEN THE TWO I HAVE NOT HAD ISSUE ONE.

&nbsp;Usually, I have ice-packs in the freezer section, doesn't cost me anything to freeze them, and the solar panels will still charge when it's overcast, but at a reduced rate. I also have a battery isolator hooked up to my engine, so firing up the pig and driving will charge the 'fridge' battery. I plan to get an extra 120W of solar for the winter months. At present, I have 2 Waeco's, a CF-50 and a CR-50. One is a traditional fridge, while the other is a 'chest' style unit.. I prefer the latter.<br>&nbsp;If a person doesn't have enuf solar, and doesn't drive enuf to make a battery isolator worth it, than charging the battery with a genset every few days would also work. ..Willy. &nbsp; &nbsp;