Three days, three nights, one ambo!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baloo said:
Still sitting up front watching the world go by, and loving every minute of it...

Yes indeed. It's all good.

the first thing I do when I get a new rig, is to stick a hide-a-key on it...because, like you said, you just never know!!

Love your rig man!!!

Thanks, the only thing I wish it had is a shower. However plans are in the works for that, and soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are small details that were overlooked that have become apparent today.

First off I am an idiot, and here is why. When I selected an inverted I wanted efficiency which lead me to a modified sine wave xantrex inverter. While a very solid piece of equipment, it doesn't play well with some electronics. This brings us to my idiocracy. My selected (by my choice) microwave is a dometic 1000 watt touch panel microwave.

So there are the facts, so here is the realization. I went to the ambo to get some army related paperwork for my unit. While there it dawned on me that I am in need of another cup of coffee. While normally I would fire up the alcohol stove, boil water and coffee press out a good cup of java. Well I was short on time and figured I would just microwave some water and and one of those nifty Starbucks instant coffee packets.

Turn on inverter. Insert plastic cup of water in microwave, punch in 1:30 and hit start. Beep!, remove cup, water is warm, not hot. Hmmm? Try again, but watch the amp draw on the inverter control panel. 30 amps? Should be way more. Set microwave to 80% power, hit 1:30, 90 amps draw, hot cup of water comes out. 90% power, 101 amps, hot water! 100% 34 amps, warm water?

Answer: modified sine wave + microprocessor controlled microwave= confused microwave. So either the microwave or the inverter needs to be changed. While I reflect on this minor oversight I made two years ago, it was a stupid mistake... Oh well at least I got my coffee...

52cc2a63a189905c482e53a950b97039.jpg

4e7a474aa4774302f0e47e9b3ef1532a.jpg

How about just leaving the wave on the lower power settings ?

Work day is done, time to relax and enjoy the ambo

Rainy morning here, all dressed and ready to take on the day. Kinda sad that last night was my last night on this adventure. Tomorrow I will work on my plans for the first two weeks of June, the next adventure. May will be ambo service month (lots of fluids and filters).

Baloo said:
Rainy morning here, all dressed and ready to take on the day. Kinda sad that last night was my last night on this adventure. Tomorrow I will work on my plans for the first two weeks of June, the next adventure. May will be ambo service month (lots of fluids and filters).

Sad for all of us following your adventure too. Like u, we await the next one! Awesome.

Thanks, I should be getting change and on the road in the next few hours. It has been fun so far, but the drive home is still part of the adventure

I made it home safely, three hours and a 146 miles later. Great country drive, the scenery was epic! Can't wait for the next adventure!

33252d0f7a5112d9e17c1f091ce6a2f1.jpg

6586055c9eab61372c0e9b5e73a53420.jpg

highdesertranger said:
how did the tranny work out on the road trip? highdesertranger

It took a little getting used to the clutch and how to shift (nothing like my jeep), I feel like a pro now. Still I may end up changing out the rear gears or go with slightly bigger tires in the rear. It will sit at 60-65 mph all day long.

Is the alcohol stove a marine stove? I have looked into them because I think they are safer than keeping propane in the van, any input on that or is that why you got it instead of an electric or propane stove? And love the hide-a-key idea, never would have thought of that even though it's so obvious. hahaha I'm adding that to my notes I'm keeping for things I must have when I start my build.

Cheli said:
Is the alcohol stove a marine stove? I have looked into them because I think they are safer than keeping propane in the van, any input on that or is that why you got it instead of an electric or propane stove? And love the hide-a-key idea, never would have thought of that even though it's so obvious. hahaha I'm adding that to my notes I'm keeping for things I must have when I start my build.

I chose the alcohol stove mostly for safety and because I grew up with them in the various boats my family had.

Nice looking ride Baloo... Look forward to more!

4GNomad said:
Nice looking ride Baloo... Look forward to more!

Thanks man, I really look forward to seeing your vans transformation. I have been watching you on the YouTube for a while now, great channel! I even bought a GoPro, just done have the nerve to make and post videos yet. Maybe some day.

Saw this beast yesterday and I love it!

3cc98d050ccbd1f526d70da8bac20b45.jpg