Thousand Trails/Encore

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanontheroad

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Thousand Trails? We have met several rv'ers who are members. We just joined so we could spend this winter at an Encore Resort that would otherwise have strained the budget. DH does like his full hookups. The Resort has a workshop for the guests and I have a growing honey-do list for him. Perfect match, there.

The initial membership fee is high, but if you actually use the campgrounds over the year, it turns out be quite reasonable in comparison.

Hi jeanontheroad,

We got the TT zone membership (the 2 west coast zones) about a year ago. Like you, my DH likes the full hookups and other amenities. We never used an Encore park, only TTs. I found that the TT parks varied a lot. Some were like typical RV parks with row after row of motorhomes, parking lot style. While others were more like NFS/NP campgrounds with more space between sites and wooded. And one that I went to was a combination of both. The parking lot style dominated, however.

I figured we just about broke even on our costs (TT vs. paying to be in an RV park). But, we still haven't used all of our "free" stays.

So, I'd say if you enjoy being in an RV park, then the TT membership is worth it. However, I won't be renewing our membership because even with the TT hook ups and amenities, I can't get hubby to go on the road with me for more than a couple of weeks each year. So, we're going to go back to paying on a night-by-night basis when traveling together.

Suanne

Yes, for a couple weeks, it would not be worth it. But we live on the road. The TT park we tried in Seaside OR was nice enough. Ripe blackberries all along the creek, a pool, a spa, a billiard room, clean laundromat and toilets and showers, good wifi if you were willing to go to the laundromat or the lounges to use it. The lots were dead grass, but there's been a severe drought here. I saw the pics for the one we will be at this winter (an Encore park) and was not impressed. It looked like an RV sales lot plopped in the middle of the desert. However, we have to be somewhere, and the resort had a lot of amenities.

I've not done it myself--since I NEVER stay in RV parks. But I have friends who do and are happy with it.

With a little luck, you can find used memberships and then that works out quite well.

There is one near Sedona and you can only stay 2 weeks then be gone 2 weeks. People there literally drive across the street to NF land, disperse camp for 2 weeks and then go back. They like it!
Bob

I have a friend who LOVES his TT membership!!

this past year, they even bumped it up a notch, and once they retire and go full-timing...they can basically live there for free...as long as they move every 2 weeks (or whatever the rules are)

I've stayed at a few TT's with him. They were nice I guess, but I'm not so sure they would be what I'd want for long term...especially for what the costs were. (but that's just me) :D

Would this be worth it if I was basically just tent camping, or does Thousand Trails mainly cater to RVs and RV parks specifically?

From what I can tell, the membership fee would pretty much pay for itself after the first few 14-day stays at most facilities. Not a heckuva lot of campsites to choose from, though, depending on what zone you'd use (probably southeast in my case), so it'd be a matter of identifying a few regular favorites.

The 3 TT campgrounds in Florida are in the middle of nowhere. Near all of these campgrounds are free 7-8 day stay Florida water management properties. The TT properties are geared toward the big buck RV crowd vs. those who travel in a minimalist RV. Most likely they would not even let me in the gate when they got an eyeful of my 1992 Chevy pickup Vardo with the rusted body panels and the pealing paint.

This discount of 10-20% off RETAIL at the Encore properties is no deal at all. The Encore south of Punta Gorda, Florida borders US 41 with mucho traffic noise and the sites are so close to each other there is no privacy at all. Plus there are no shade trees to be found, the sun even in the winter is strong in South Florida and the ideal location is to be under large oak trees.

My wife and I plan on signing up. They occasionally have deals where you can get 2 zones for the price of one and we're hoping to get that deal when we sign up. It'll save us well over a thousand dollars in addition to getting amenities that we likely wouldn't have had the money to pay for. For us it's a no brainer, even if some of the parks are a bit more run down than others.

They are not very good at responding to emails however as I emailed them a duple weeks ago with some questions.

Using them on a long term basis does require some strategic scheduling though because you need to put 7 days between stay if you stay at a park for more than 4 days.

ganchan said:
Would this be worth it if I was basically just tent camping, or does Thousand Trails mainly cater to RVs and RV parks specifically?

From what I can tell, the membership fee would pretty much pay for itself after the first few 14-day stays at most facilities. Not a heckuva lot of campsites to choose from, though, depending on what zone you'd use (probably southeast in my case), so it'd be a matter of identifying a few regular favorites.

They see to have a separate program for tent camping which was a couple hundred bucks cheaper, but I can't find it on their site anymore, so they may have discontinued it.

Something to keep in mind if you get the Southwest Zone, Medina Lake is completely dried out, so there is no actual lake at the park.

The Orlando resort is pretty close to Disney World if you're interested in the touristy stuff.

the thousand trails park off i10 in the Coachella valley is full of million dollar rvs every time I go past and I heard they won't allow in rv that doesn't meet with their blue nose requirements. highdesertranger

Suanne said:
Hi jeanontheroad,

We got the TT zone membership (the 2 west coast zones) about a year ago.  Like you, my DH likes the full hookups and other amenities.  We never used an Encore park, only TTs.  I found that the TT parks varied a lot.  Some were like typical RV parks with row after row of motorhomes, parking lot style.  While others were more like NFS/NP campgrounds with more space between sites and wooded.  And one that I went to was a combination of both.  The parking lot style dominated, however.

I figured we just about broke even on our costs (TT vs. paying to be in an RV park).  But, we still haven't used all of our "free" stays.  

So, I'd say if you enjoy being in an RV park, then the TT membership is worth it.  However, I won't be renewing our membership  because even with the TT hook ups and amenities, I can't get hubby to go on the road with me for more than a couple of weeks each year.  So, we're going to go back to paying on a night-by-night basis when traveling together.

Suanne

I did  the same thing  bought a 2 zone pass due to sons health and my MH being in for repairs I haven't used my fee stays yet either. I just joined for a year and I have went 2 times here in Wa. state one was very nice the other wasn't so nice. I will use it but would not sign up for another year as that is not my kind of camping but nice to have full hookups once in awhile.

Getting some type of discount RV parks pass has crossed my mind.  I am thinking when the black tank gets full (~week or a little more), I would spend a night in one.  I could get a good  loong hot shower, do laundry, fill propane, grocery shop, fill fresh tank, etc.  I have not done the math though.  I figure at the most 35 nights in a year.  We will be spending Thanksgiving through Christmas with the kids.

David & I looked into it back when we were young and stupid. Actually we were members of one of those things. Fontana Village (time share) was SUPPOSED to be part of RPI which at that time was connected to TT somehow. Anyway we were supposed to be able to camp at TT. Yet our membership never allowed us to stay anywhere we wanted to visit. Then there was a big mess with the thing and we finally got out of it. It was one lie after another. So we said no more timeshare or anything resembling it. Besides, the membership parks were rarely where we wanted to be.

I have been looking at Passport America (50% off regular single night rate). I like that I am not wedded for life to the program. The yearly cost ($44) means that I will recoup the amount in just a couple of stays. I like that I can see the lists of the various campgrounds that will take the discount before I ever give them a penny. I like that I can stay in a full hookup site for less than I can in a w/e or no-hookup public park site. The discount is good for various lengths of time - depending on the campground. I have seen it for one night and I have seen it for a week. True the available campgrounds do drop and add. But I have so many more to choose from.

There is also Happy Camper Club. They too are a half price discount. Their yearly cost is $39.99. Some of their member parks will give the discount for long term according to their website. Also you can look to see what campgrounds offer the Happy Camper discount and the restrictions that apply.

Some of these discount campgrounds do overlap. Some are both Passport American AND Happy Camper Club. I figure when I am ready to hit the road again (please let it be spring) I will get a PA membership. If I find I need the HCC, I can buy it online and then start using it immediately. I'm not sure if PP is like that. The nice thing about the PP and HCC is that if I find I will be staying someplace long term for whatever reason, I can simply not renew. I can wait until I am ready to hit the road again and resign back up. You certainly can't do that with a time share. I know, I fought them for years. BTW, I did learn that the sales person can tell any old lie they want in order to get you to sign up. The timeshare company does not have to stand behind the lies the sales people tell in order to close a sale. Because the lie is not in the fine print. I'm not saying all timeshares are bad. They do work for some people. They just were not right for David & I. And we found we really disliked the "you have to sign NOW" attitude. Especially after the guy in Stuart FL threatened to punch David because he said we wanted to make a phone call to talk to our banker in NC first. That would have been nice to have a timeshare right near family for visits. Shame the timeshares were never built and the people collecting the money took off with all the money.

Yeah, the 7 days between stays is a deal killer for the full timer trying to get $600 annual rental costs. They also charge $3 per night for incidentals, not a big deal, and the parks are few and far between. We do most of our camping in Arizona, and I can stay at Dead Horse Ranch near the only one in AZ for $25 per night with hookups, or BLM land for free 4 miles away.

I think these are more geared to the 40 foot DP crowd, and It wouldn't surprise me if some folks had two memberships (a couple who isn't married, for example) so they can avoid the 7 day break and just stay for two consecutive 14-day stays in a particular park.

It is also these parks that tend to have the snobby attitude towards older coaches (10+ years old). I go camping to get away from snobs (my neighbors at home, for example)...