thoughts on this

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbullet

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is allowed or not, but I would like to pose a question to gauge interest. Mods can remove if this is against the rules, but I am thinking this would not be opportunistic.

I have 20 acres of land on a major river in British Columbia and am thinking of ways to supplement my own retirement while still putting something back into the community here. It is about 40 minutes away from a city of about 80,000 people. Plenty of sun and very private. The hoops that would be required to open a campground are cost prohibitive, but I am wondering if anyone would be interested in paying about 250.00 a month for "dry camping" space. There is cell service, but no internet available other than cellular. Services would consist of maybe a communal water supply and single shower facility. There are no trees at present, but as I am about 7 years minimum away from retirement, I could get some started now. Is this nuts? Here is a shot from my deck...
cheaprvliving.jpg
Obviously this is "pie in the sky" at the moment, but I am sick of the grind and looking to get out of the race early.

Attachments

• cheaprvliving.jpg
    cheaprvliving.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 50
This is an interesting idea that I have been considering also. What are the legal ramifications of establishing some sort of ownership group that would own properties North and south that would provided year round access?

Interesting thought....fractional ownership. I am not thinking about that for this property as it will be a "legacy" for my kids, but you have now got me thinking in another direction.

I stepped out for a chuff on a cigar and now bseek raises an interesting point....I just finished up doing tax returns for my CL wife's parents, and communal living popped up as input tax credits. Hmmmmm.....this needs some serious looking into.

I don't know anything about this subject. but that is one beautiful pic. highdesertranger

Where, generally speaking, are you located in BC.? Also, access to a septic tank would really help campers, even if they have to drive to it and dump. ..Willy.

Near Kamloops...

The tough part of the septic is making a case to the Ministry of the Environment. The conditions for a septic system for a two person home were ridiculous. I guess the easy way would be to just do it and let the chips fall where they may.

Are outhouses legal there?The first house I built in NC,I got around a lot of regulations by planning an outhouse.Looks like a nice property.

This is an old post, but I think it's a good idea. I would stay there part of the year if I could do month-to-month and if cell access had a strong signal.

What a view...
Sorry, not helpful, but wow.

I can’t remember the name of it right now but there is a camping app kinda like Airbnb.

I remember looking at it and lots of them were dry camping.

"I remember now. It’s hipcamp"

Wow! Cool site!  I think I might be using this....   :thumbsup:

I think if it were my property, I would set it up on a 14 day limit timeline to get started, and then take applications for seasonal. I would hate to get un-desirable/un-respectful people in a subsistant living situation that would be hard to evict.