Thoughts on securing propane tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
9E88F2F6-0597-4842-813B-ACE54F5A06F7.jpeg I want to store my propane tank outside in my cargo basket. I am thinking about putting a piece of plywood in the bottom of the basket to make it more secure. But I’m still unsure about how to secure the propane tank to the basket. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 9E88F2F6-0597-4842-813B-ACE54F5A06F7.jpeg
    9E88F2F6-0597-4842-813B-ACE54F5A06F7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
if you do a internet search you can find several different propane tank holders. they start at about 20 bucks and go up from there. looks like you have some of that Nevada dust on your rig already. highdesertranger

Yes, I’ve looked at some but they all seem to need some kind of vertical support, which I don’t have on that cargo basket.

I would use a couple of ratcheting cargo straps. 

Pass them under the rack, then hook them up to the safety guard. You would need to make sure that the nylon strap is not chaffing on a sharp edge of the rack. 

Tighten them securely.

It would be a good idea to buy a propane tank 'stabilizer' base to keep the tank stable. 

I use cargo straps to hold my 100 pound generator on my tongue rack...it works just fine. 

BTW, I notice in your photo, there are small bolts holding the rack to the frame. These small holes are fine, but you should not drill any more holes, or make those larger, in the frame 'flanges'...this can weaken the frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-KREZ-...405807&hash=item1ecae5f1d9:g:jY8AAOSwWJhZX2An

A search for propane tank straps, or www.tailgatorstrap.com/ , used in conjunction with a DIY support may be helpful. Your mounting tray has a tube construction that will fit unistrut clamps like those used for conduit and piping. Mount two or four unistrut under the tray & mount two or four vertically connected to them with angle brackets (3/8" or 1/2" hardware, comes in both sizes). At the top of the verticals, or another useful height if you want to build an enclosure, mount a horizontal member. You have the makings of a wall at this point, or a box if you desire more protection. Additionally, look at how your tray is mounted to the frame and determine its seaworthiness, maybe beef that up due to the weight your adding. U-bolts and the like would be good to use as there are no holes to drill or welding to be done, just cheap & easy peace of mind.

Latest posts