Mounting my Propane tank on the back door?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan

Reaction score
Been thinking about rigging my propane tank on the back door of my Chevy Express. Mostly for safety but also to save on space. Problem is if there are any road laws or problems I'll need to think about where I'm putting it. Like what if someone rear ends me and the propane tank ruptures? Anyways give me your thoughts if you think this is a good idea or if you've got a better idea.
Thanks,
Bryan

Good question, I thought about this as well. I have seen them on the rack on the back of a van, but not connected. You might alwo want to worry about it being stolen. I'm sure someone will post an answer.

I have 30lb tank inside the back of my truck. Never had any problems but I’ve seen peeps with them mounted on the back with a lock and mounted on top as well and there are also videos of under body mounts as well.

Check them all out and make ur decision.
INTJohn

I've considered that for my Ford E 350 rig where the flat rack fits into the receiver hitch. BUT....I wouldn't want to be on the road until after 9am until 3pm when traffic isn't so heavy.

I carried a propane tank mounted on my opened tail gate which made a porch for my topper with no problem, of course my truck’s gasoline tank came from the factory mounted inside the cab behind the bench seat and had a vented fill cap just outside the driver’s window. I’m probably not the one to ask as most old ways of doing things I grew up with is considered unsafe today.

Be sure to check your local laws. I also have an Express and my understanding was it couldn't be installed on a hitch rack at least in California. Maybe up high though is fine. If you mount yours be sure to post how you did it. I have 2 brand new 5lb tanjs I would like to mount.

Depending on the space underneath, you might fit a forklift type propane tank between the frame and body. They are skinnier and hold more. And are made to be moved a lot. BBQ tanks can do the same. But generally are stationary. Might be worth doing as long as your willing to fill it up instead of exchanging bottles.

Forklift tanks are designed to deliver liquid propane; disaster if used with appliances made for propane gas.
- liquid propane is -44º; instant frostbite if gets on skin.
- forklift tanks are heavy (#33 is 69# full, #43 is 83#)

If you want underbody propane tank get one properly designed for RVs. They can be filled without removing.

Thank you for the very helpful info skid spiff. There are plenty of solid storage options under the van.

I know some on here used to have their batteries there as well. It really depends on where you're spending your time. If it's too cold, you can't charge your lithium and similar batteries. But propane you should be good to go.

Of course for both, make sure you're adding protection from road stuff.