Thoughts On Pet Surgery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
I'm curious what you all think about pets and the surgery that is pushed for them.

When we got Tricksy I gave it some thought and decided against medical procedures for her.

Spaying is the full removal of the ovaries and uterus. Declawing is an amputation procedure of the last finger digit.

I found it distasteful that I should forcibly remove body parts from my cat (a sentient being) simply because it may make having her more convenient.

Now, there are medical reasons on both sides of the fence here. 

Telling people that I opted against these surgeries gets funny reactions. Interestingly, when I explain my thought process those reactions always swing to "That makes sense".

What do you all think?

I would NEVER declaw a cat. I think it is a cruel act, solely for the convenience of the owner. That said, I have ALWAYS spayed or neutered pets. I think we are both more comfortable that way and I think it is irresponsible not to neuter if said pets are allowed to meet up.

I support spay/neuter and all dogs have underwent that procedure that I have owned. Why? We adopt from Animal Control facilities and we see all the good dogs that will never get out alive because of overpopulation. Some people are responsible enough to prevent pregnancy but not most.

I have heard that vet care is more reasonable in Mexico. Does anyone know? Anyone used the services there?

I have seen cases where surgeries were just taken too far. Thousands and thousands of dollars spent on dogs that, frankly, had a couple of years left at most and because of the surgery seemed to suffer more and one problem followed another because the dog was just older and like people, there comes a point where non-treatment is the best treatment.

I'm sure sometimes it is worth it and sometimes it is not. Taking the most humane route is the best route. Although until you are actually confronted with the situation it's difficult to say. People all react differently.

We are humans not Vulcans.  We sometimes make emotional decisions that look stupid to a dispassionate observer.  For a lot of us our pet is part of our family and we make decisions based on that.

As for neutering/spaying:  You are responsible for your pet.  Not taking away the ability to procreate requires constant vigilance for a male and periodic intense vigilance for a female.  It only takes 20 seconds to create the next generation.  Seeing a pack of males go after an in heat female will show you how difficult your task will be.  I've actually seen a male dog claw through a wood barn wall to get to a female in heat.

-- Spiff

Having just had a pet put down I can tell you it is very emotional. Maybe that's what some are trying to avoid.
We always neuter/spay our pets.

The only way you should not spay/neuter is if you are willing to adopt every generation of off-spring forever that results from that decision. It could be tens of thousands if you kept to that philosophy. A moment negligence and you've got 5 pups/kittens. A moments negligence with all those means another 25 pups/kittens. Another moments negligence with all 25 of them means 150 pups/kittens. Another moments negligence with all 150 of them means ... Repeat every year forever.

Repeat that ever year when your original pet goes into heat again.

Spay and neuter is a good thing for the pet and the person.
Bob

Spay and neuter is a good thing for the pet and the person.

Here are some of the medical benefits:
  • Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life. Spaying helps prevent uterine infections and breast tumors, which are malignant or cancerous in about 50 percent of dogs and 90 percent of cats. Spaying your pet before her first heat offers the best protection from these diseases.
  • Neutering your male companion prevents testicular cancer and some prostate problems.
And behavioral benefits:
  • Your spayed female pet won't go into heat. While cycles can vary, female felines usually go into heat four to five days every three weeks during breeding season. In an effort to advertise for mates, they'll yowl and urinate more frequently—sometimes all over the house!
  • Your male dog will be less likely to roam away from home. An intact male will do just about anything to find a mate, including finding creative ways escape from the house. Once he's free to roam, he risks injury in traffic and fights with other male animals.
  • Your neutered male may be better behaved. Unneutered dogs and cats are more likely to mark their territory by spraying strong-smelling urine all over the house. Your dog might be less likely to mount other dogs, people and inanimate objects after he’s neutered. Some aggression problems may be avoided by early neutering.

I don't know near enough to talk about altering cats, but regarding dogs, here is what I do:

Females: Keep intact at least 6 months then do a spay before the first heat to reduce certain types of cancer. I would keep her intact until she was fully mature- about 9 months to 2 years. Yes, dealing with unruly dogs and the bleeding is a pain for a couple weeks twice a year, but I'm up to the challenge. She would be spayed no later than the second year.

Males: I would keep these guys intact for at least 2 years unless they have matured quickly. During that time I would do a doggy vasectomy. After that would come the big snip.

I refuse to become a backyard breeder. Taking on that extra vigilance is quite an undertaking, but I want to give my dogs the best health I can. Being a responsible dog owner is not for the lazy.

As far as hormone related behaviors, I take care of it. No excuses. I either train for proper behaviors or manage the dog or the environment. I do not make excuses in this department. The worst thing would be dealing with other people's dogs that have poor behaviors and that is a very compelling reason for me to get my dog(s) fixed. Conflict sucks; avoiding problems from other people's poor choices is high on my list.

The reason I like to delay altering a pet is to let them grown properly. They need those hormones until maturity. Altering a dog does have its own set of problems; there are two sides to this coin.

I strongly disagree with altering at 8 weeks or even earlier, but the alternative is much worse. For dogs in the shelter, I say spay and neuter them as soon as possible. People in general are way too irresponsible. While the dogs are in the care of responsible people, they need to make more of an effort to keep future owners from causing more harm from overpopulation.

Latest posts