those little holes that are left when you take out the back seat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Ultra-newby question.

I just got the back seat taken out of my small SUV (by a very nice upholsterer who charged me 1/4 of what the dealer wanted). So there are holes in the floor where the bolts were. Can I just cover those with electrical tape or the like, or is there a better way to deal with them (like, I don't know, Small Hole-Plugging Widgets from a hardware store?)? The removal is permanent; it's not like I want to put the seat back in later.

Obviously, the floor will need more work than that, but right now I'm just curious what to do with the holes.

Many thanks!

Buy 1/2" long bolts to plug up the holes. You'll need to know the thread size of whatever held in the seats.

Home Depot or ACE has a large selection of bolts.

Unless the bolt heads sticking up would be a problem. Like when kneeling in that area...Ouch!

If you go with putting bolts in there as Slow2day suggested (which I think is a good idea too) and bolt heads sticking up would be a problem, try to find set screws in the same size and thread count. Those could be turned in until they were flush with the top of the hole.

The Big Box store and hardware stores carry plastic plugs and even metal caps that can be glued or sealed into place that are pretty much flush mount. You may need attachment points so plan well before doing any permanent covering.

You could glue coins on the holes with construction adhesive. (Any pre-made plugs for the holes will cost more than the coins.) We did that with a friend's van. No problems.

MrNoodly said:
You could glue coins on the holes with construction adhesive. (Any pre-made plugs for the holes will cost more than the coins.) We did that with a friend's van. No problems.

Great idea. You can buy Liquid Nails in the 4oz. size at HD for about $3 and it's handy for other projects.

Shoe Goo or RTV if you have those around will work,too.

Wow, glad I asked. Great ideas -- many thanks, all! :thumbsup:

why not put the bolts that came out back in. Cost = zero. if you don't like the head get some button head bolts.

Highdesertranger

I wanted to surface level so I didn’t put the bolts back in. But I used a heavy duty aluminum tape that sealed them up nicely.

Save the old bolts (slaps forehead)! Too late, alas.
Still, I'd love it if all my dumb mistakes were this inexpensive.
Time for some retail therapy at Lowe's...

If all you need to do is plug the holes you could choose bolt diameter smaller then the existing threads, and drop the bolts in and not worry about a nut on the bottom side, just use a little silicone or similar sealant before you insert the bolt. Zinc plated bolts would work well for that. Then later on you can remove them easily if needed.

Or you can buy stainless elevator bolts online and then use nuts and washers on the bottom side and seal up the holes permanently.

BTW I mention removing them easily later, if for instance you might want to use the threaded holes as mounting points for a bed or cabinet or storage locker...something that needs to be fastened down.

You might want a high security safe securely bolted down to store all your important papers and millions in lottery winnings!

Or you know, something along those lines... :p

Now I thought I was pretty familiar with the different kind of bolts out there but Elevator Bolts is a new one to me.

I was trying to picture what they might look like:

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
OK, now without googling, tell me why they are called elevator bolts? :)

They were first used in grain elevators to attach buckets to the belt where you couldn't have a head protruding. Highdesertranger

Give that man a sack of grain!  :p

They come in handy for fastening woodwork or cabinets to the floor or wall ribs in a van build (you can grind the head down to a non-spinning rectangle if needed) or when you need something like a carriage bolt but even less upward protrusion. The OP can lay carpet or mats over them or even just paint over them in place. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=elevator+bolts&iax=images&ia=images

Set screws.  downloadfile.jpg

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3