those little holes that are left when you take out the back seat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to imagine explaining to a 19 year old in Home Depot that I'm looking for something sort of like a carriage bolt but with a thin, wide, flat head.

Meanwhile, I replaced a rear seat with a wooden storage box that is also part of my bed.  It is bolted down with 2 of the original seat bolts.  The rest of the bolts are in a small pill bottle in an otherwise useless space between the box and the back of the car.  I guess there must be holes.  I didn't look.  Now I've got something to do tomorrow.

MG

Bogart said:
Set screws.  

Those will work also, but only if she knows the exact size needed. If not, then the elevator bolts will drop right in assuming the OP uses ones that are smaller in diameter than the existing holes.

MG from BC; try to explain anything to a 19-year-old who works at Home Depot or Lowes or wherever. I’m old enough to remember a good old fashion hardware store where the employees knew what they had and knew how to answer questions and improvise stuff to do the job. We still have two like that in our area they are worth a few dollars extra per visit to get somebody who knows what they’re talking about and are happy to help. The next kid who tells me “that’s not my department” is going to get punched in the face.

Come on now. We were all 19 and green once :)

Some of the older employees at HD,etc. ain't all that knowledgeable either.

You know they actually do sell a bucket of rope?

I've had really good service in big-box stores and really bad service in mom-and-pop stores. You just never know! The don't know/don't care types drive me crazy, too. My hat is off to anyone who can really bring it to work in one of the chain stores. I don't know that I could do it.

So many great ideas here; thanks again, everyone! I ended up gluing coins. I tried with the screws/bolts but got too confused trying to find the right size. (I bought one of each of the obvious sizes and tried them out, and none fit quite right, and I decided not to make a quest out of it.) I think the screws might have to be pretty short, too, to avoid bumping into stuff -- whatever is right underneath those holes seems complicated.

Turns out the lady who took the seat out is going to try to sell it on eBay (more power to her). So it's probably just as well I left all the hardware with her. I had mixed feelings about doing this, but I'm just thrilled with all the space in there now! and looking forward to many good adventures.

Gracias merci danke.

Gluing coins was the solution offered over six years ago here on CRVL.

A penny being cheaper in value* to obtain, than any other manufactured product.

Might have even been The BOB himself who had posted it, if my sometimes fuzzy memory is correct. I was attempting to do a build out on a van back in late 2014, early 2015. Empty holes in the floor were the least of the ordeal.

* https://www.thepricer.org/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-penny/

"So yes, the coin’s face value is less than its actual value, because it actually costs 2.41¢ US ($0.0241 US Dollars (USD) to be exact) to make each penny. The face value of this coin was exceeded by its cost for the first time in 2006. This was due to a decision at the United States Mint, the agency of the government that prints money and strikes new coinage for the US when the composition of the penny was reconsidered."

A few decades ago I was looking for a scythe. I tried all the huge garden and landscape type places and ran into lots of blank looks. I was moving from west to east. Finally I had a chance to go to the same old hardware store where I bought wicks for my 3 different types of kerosene heaters. We went into the basement where they had 6 different types of scythes tucked into the floor joists. I loved that old store. There were tears in the street when it burned down.

MG