"This is a high elevation location"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I was looking around for campsites in the Trinidad CO/Raton NM area and kept running into this notice on the listings I found. It seems a little vague to me.Does it mean I'll have to drive up the side of a mountain from the interstate? Or is it just a "cover our butts" warning that people with heart or respiratory problems should proceed with caution?

I think it is just a warning as some of the highways get pretty far up there in elevation. Just know that the closer to the beaten path you are, the busier it will be.

Could also serve as a warning to people with medical conditions that have a hard time breathing, and or are on oxygen, inhalers, etc?

In my case, I'm not worried about my Expedition getting through it, or about my health. (I've taken plenty of trips to Santa Fe without incident, and this elevation would be about the same.) I'm just wondering whether I'll be sweating bullets as I wind my way along hairpin turns in Vertigo Land, etc....

We just came up to Trinidad and past it from New Mexico. Mountains coming into Trinidad from NM side were steep, but manageable. Was on the 25 from NM to Trinidad.

Wabbit said:
We just came up to Trinidad and past it from New Mexico. Mountains coming into Trinidad from NM side were steep, but manageable. Was on the 25 from NM to Trinidad.

Yeah, I'll be going that route, just in the other direction.

Your Expedition will be fine. Mine handles it pulling a 25 ft/ 7000 lb trailer.

beware propane devices don't work well at high elevation. Never had trouble at 7,000' but at 10,000' I've had issues with camp stoves and propane heaters. RV type generators may have an altitude adjustment knob to tweak how well they run at altitude.

The weather can change in a blink up there.
I stopped in Trinidad 2 yrs ago, it was 70 and sunny. Woke up to 12" of snow.
Trinidad Lake Campground is small. like 20 campsites.

Many years ago, my late husband had lung cancer and was on O2. Without thinking about it, we went up just 3000 feet and he deteriorated in a hurry. We didn't need a warning, just half a brain.
Ted