Thinking of buying a utility shell for a stealth/adventure vehicle camper.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the weather changes to cooler and wetter you may want to consider a more weather tight tent. With the two of us it was nice to have a little more room to lounge in the evening sitting around a heater than laying our truck topper, plus it allowed more storage and a place to dry out clothing and wet shoes.

It's a bit counter-intuitive but sometimes a smaller window A/C will be better at dehumidification.

The compressor cycles are shorter on a larger BTU unit. So there is not as much time to gather humidity on the coils and then drip from the unit. 

Of course that does not mean that you should 'undersize' the unit...but just be aware that balance between A/C BTU and heat load is what you are after.

Thanks for the information. Not being a HVAC expert, I wasn't aware of that.
It's now a week from Thanksgiving and I'm still doing well in the shell. Got back into RC models (I fly micro helis in my space). I found a good church home here in Willis and I'm meeting some great people.
My camping accommodations are about to change. A heavy wind destroyed my awning so I was back to square one. Then it occurred to me that I have a 6x12 enclosed utility trailer that would make a good camper. Long story short, the park owner gave me the green light to bring it in. My neighbor 2 spaces down power washes RVs and reseals RV roofs. He referred me to his brother-in-law who is a carpenter. They are redoing the inside of my trailer and I'm going to repurpose it as a camper. My neighbor resealed the roof already as a couple of leaks were discovered in some recent heavy rains. It should be done next week. I'm having a shelf run across the front wall which will do kitchen duty as well as holding the TV. I also ordered a simple twin bed frame and memory foam mattress. I'm doing a rustic finish inside. My truck will then be the storage unit but can continue to be used as a camper. With all the time I've spent in it, I've gotten the truck camper really dialed in and is very comfortable.

Nothing like a little more space! Lol!!! Plan on a little more money for gasoline when you do start traveling again.

bullfrog said:
Nothing like a little more space! Lol!!! Plan on a little more money for gasoline when you do start traveling again.
I've been in the trailer for a couple of weeks now and it's working out great. It's almost like being back in a house now. I have a microwave, 4.4 cu ft fridge, hotplate with a 67" L x 16" W shelf to work on. I made a black iron curtain rod with a saddle blanket as a curtain for the window and a similar one under the shelf to cover the kitchenware. It feels like ski lodge cabin. Everything is in the front with only my bed, a round ottoman and my tube amp hifi at the back of trailer. It's cedar lined with fence pickets and grey plank pergo style floor. I ran white Christmas lights around the top perimeter vs LED for cost, simplicity and in keeping with the rustic theme. The trailer will stay in the park with the truck still able to do camping road trips. I'm really glad to be out of the truck, but it will be great on a long trip.