Thinking of buying a utility shell for a stealth/adventure vehicle camper.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telcobilly

Reaction score
I want to build a go anywhere stealth camper and hopefully use my paid off 2004 Tacoma as a base. It's been lifted with larger A/T tires installed. Next upgrade is a limited slip diff. I work in the oilfield so I have housing most of the time. I want this rig to be be a go anywhere ( within reason , no rock crawling or mud bogging) vehicle to fill in the blanks between jobs. Sometimes I'll be visiting/ staying with friends and family in TX/CA so it won't be full time.

I'm interested in this large fiberglass utility body, as it is roomy and light weight. I would do an opening boat hatch on the top and a sliding window in the front to meet up with the truck's rear cab window.

My concern is condensation, but with all of the people living in boats and fiberglass trailers, surely there is a solution to this problem?

Please let me know what you think, Will

22435c53.jpg

be8ed92d.jpg

891ec071.jpg

On a Ford Ranger with a 6' bed (like mine).
677fb2ce.jpg

My truck:
943b59bf.jpg

I found there was lots of condensation with Propane, now when I put a big chunk of metal over the propane heater, it heated it up, dispersed the heat better and did some steady mass heating as in residual heating. I did notice a drop in the moisture when I was using the metal, so assuming it is heating up and the water in the air is causing dissipation of moisture on it? 

Telcobilly, the little molded fiberglass Scamp trailers use a layer of something similar to Reflectix glued to the walls and ceiling with a fuzzy marine fabric (that won't mildew) over it for insulation and to prevent condensation.&nbsp; <br><br>Would a marine fabric liner work for you?<br><br>That's the first time I've seen those shells.&nbsp; I'm intrigued by all the possibilities they present.<br>

Sunny, so am I. It's 75" long at the bed level and 110"'from the front of the overhang to the back. I could do a deck of 75" x 50" at the bed rail level. There is 67" headroom. It is very appealing due to the fact I could continue to use my truck, stealth would be good with no street visible windows, making it look like a work truck. I have a lot of flexibility in configuring it for my occasional use. When I'm housed at rigs, it would be secure storage, when I'm on a road trip, it would be my hotel. I wouldn't have to purchase a less economical van of questionable mechanical condition plus having two vehicles to deal with.

I have no doubt of my ability to live in it, as I spent a year trucking in a flat top Freightliner with less standup room than this unit.

<p style="margin: 0px;">Telcobilly</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Could you post a link to the manufacturer/dealer of those fiberglass shells? I'm wondering if they make a version for a longer bed?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">DW and I are looking for truck campers now, and if I could find the proper bare shell, would love a DIY project.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">We just sold our camper van and are going cold turkey...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Speaking of truck campers, could you find a small used TC? Might be less expensive in long run...</p>

<P>Telcobilly, That utility body looks really good... could you share who makes/sells them? Is it a Tufport? Thanx!</P>

Johney Canuck did a post on some different types of these shells a while back

Hey Seraphim, I remember posting a picture of a very similar slide in a loooonnnngg time ago. It was on a 8' box F250, and had an air conditioner and generator built in and was used as a mobile workspace for splicing fiber optic cables. I even remember taking a picture of the mfg plate and posting it.
I still have them , so here they are-
ebc1def9.jpg

6a73bf91.jpg

75db55f5.jpg

70f5bff1.jpg

I hope they come out better on a computer screen than they do on my phone.

That is a sweet looking shell!<br>Had a Tacoma with a homebuilt shell b4 a dui totaled it....(Heavy Sigh) Loved it.<br>Pretty sure some venting would be in order, spray foam insulation would also help with condensation, especially in cooler weather.<br><br>

Thanks Karl.
Here's my thought process as I study the posts out here in the forums. I will probably do 2 years out here in the oilfields and WON'T commit to any kind of housing, as it's provided out here. I want to build an adventure/ stealth camper and while I have the time and housing, I can purchase the body and use it as storage during the conversion process.
First thing will be a large, watertight boat hatch and front pass through window. I want to add a cot/futon or whatever that can be sat on or slept on and able to be folded up to the side when unneeded. The shell will be insulated and I'll buy a portable generator. I will keep clothes/food in the top and on the floor in containers.

I want to make it like a portable self contained survival igloo that can be moved from truck to truck . My truck gets 20-25 mpg now which I know will drop. If at some time I want a more capable truck, I'll stay with the mid sized trucks and maybe go 4x4 next time. I get a $675 pm truck allowance now.
Best case is to save my $ and make my existing , paid off truck work for as long as possible while saving a fund for repairs/ newer 4x4 mid size truck.

This will be my home in the future, but for now, I have the luxury of housing to allow me to purchase every thing I need to do it right.

BTW, the shell is a Durashell 165 available from Fleetwest.

<p style="margin: 0px;">sounds like a good plan.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks Les and Will for the&nbsp; manufacturer info</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

Well, I pulled the trigger today and paid a deposit on a demo DS165. I'm in no hurry, so I'm going to pay off the balance over 3 months and go to Phoenix to have it installed. In the meantime I'll be brainstorming for the set up and what to buy for it. The bed I'm sleeping on here at the rig is comfortable and would fit right in the shell.
Looking for set up ideas for sleeping, storage, power, ventilation, security ect. Once this rig is finished, I'm never at the mercy of other's whims as to being homeless or not, a good feeling.
I know I can handle it, just got out of 3 years of trucking, the last year in a small flat top Freight Shaker..lol

Well now TelcoBilly...<div>from an ex Ground Pounder and Truck Driver</div><div><br></div><div>You will do just fine.. fine I say..&nbsp;</div><div>cheers WildE</div>

That shell looks perfect for a Tacoma. I didn't see any prices on the site. Do you mind if I ask how much it is costing you? <br><br>The first thing to decide is where you will put the bed so we need to know how long and wide is the pickup bed and how tall are you? Bob<br>

You might want to add in a Vent or Two, it will get&nbsp;awe-full&nbsp;hot in there.&nbsp;

Akrvbob, I'm 6'2"' the shell is 75" long, so it's good length wise. My bed is over 50" wide. I would like do a bed on one side with storage under the bed. I will have a top hatch installed and a front sliding window to the the truck pass though. I just read through Johnny Canuck's thread and see a lot of similarities on his shell to this Durashell.
Eventually I will get a generator and maybe a small a/c unit. This rig will see very occasional use which will increase as I get more time and funds saved up.
I'm going more for the overlander/adventure/stealth rig than wanting to do a van or RV.
Not counting the overhead the main area is roughly 50" x 75" x 67" high, pretty comparable space to what you would get in a Transit Connect for a lot less $.
As Johnny C stated, you could keep the shell and change trucks should the need arise. I'm going to add a locking diff or LSD to enable better traction to have a go most anywhere rig for not much money..

Here are some more pix of the shell on different trucks with different views of it. I think you can see the stealth possibilities as it being a commercial truck. The top hatch and front sliding window I plan to install will be almost invisible. You can see the headroom advantage as well. Johnny Cunuck's thread has really shown me the potential this type of rig can offer.

6e74033f.jpg

b236d342.jpg

ca92d81b.jpg

634b9039.jpg

I'm tremendously impressed by your plan, it's the ideal adventure rig. I think the Tacoma is one of the very best motor vehicles ever made. But, because I live in my rig fulltime and like a little more comfort, I would get one for a full-size truck and just have to live with the lower mpg.&nbsp; <br><br>I lived in a homebuilt camper on an F150 for 3 years and was very happy with it, except it was very overweight.. It was 6 foot by 7 foot, which isn't that much larger than your rig.<br><br>I'm really looking forward to following your build. Bob<br>

Thanks for the kind words Bob, definitely would have liked a bigger rig, but the shell would have been double the cost, not counting the cost of buying/running a larger truck. This paid off truck has been reliable and economical, it's what I have.
I think with some thoughtful space planning between the cab and shell, it will become pretty workable.

I just came from driving a flat top Freightliner where the sleeper was longer, but less headroom, I did fine sleeping, reading and eating in it..

This truck is basically the same one I drove, compare the sleeper to the Durashell, not a big difference..

15a241f3.jpg

Bob, I will definitely do a detailed build write up with pictures. It should be fun to get it the way I want it with the luxury of free housing during the build.

<p style="margin: 0px;">I second the need for ventilation.&nbsp; And not just for humidity or heat.....AIR!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">My mother reminds me constantly of her uncle, who&nbsp;built a home in the 50s, air tight.&nbsp; the family who bought it actually suffocated when the snow covered the foundation.&nbsp; I would hate to read about your adventures posthumously</p>

Latest posts