Thinking of buying a utility shell for a stealth/adventure vehicle camper.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad the pictures are back! This was a really well done build that needs keeping!

I stumbled on my old website today and just for grins I clicked on it and sure enough the pictures came back from the photo bucket site.

Just an update of where I am now, I'm getting ready to retire next month July 2021 and will be spending time with family in Texas. I have to get the Tacoma cleaned up and a new battery in it as it's been sitting in the trucking company yard for the last 4 years while I've been trucking. In fact, it only has 68,000 miles on a 2008. LOL It does get run frequently and washed as well. I need to get it really detailed and waxed out. I have a 6x12 utility trailer so a lot of the excess stuff is going to be moved out of the shell & into the trailer to maximize room for me. I've been living in a semi truck for the last 2 years and have life on the road down to a T. I cook all my own food on the truck as I have a microwave, electric kettle and a crock pot as well as a refrigerator. I will spend time in the United States but mostly I'll be living in the Philippines going forward. Of course this whole covid thing has thrown a wrench in the works for everyone.

I found your thread about the same time I retired from trucking...and you began trucking....carry the torch!

:thumbsup:

I'm actually retiring from trucking myself after 12 years. I got off the truck last month, got the Tacoma up and running with a new battery, brake light switch, tags and insurance. I then drove from Hollister California to the San Diego area to pick up my utility trailer so that I can move back to Texas.
I then proceeded to drive the 1500 plus miles to Conroe where my son has rented us a large storage unit. I have two motorcycles, one of which I'm giving to him and other keeping for myself.
I've been renting a garage apartment while I get the Tacoma up to speed.
I did or purchased the following things:

1.Bought a 7,000 BTU portable air conditioning that fits perfectly in the back left corner. The porthole on the left barn door is the exact diameter for the exhaust hose. I had to put a 1 inch by 10 inch by 72-in board on the left side to fill the gap between the plywood deck and the left side. The AC went in so perfectly you would have thought I planned it that way. Still have to test it.
2. Bought a new head unit to upgrade the older one as well as gain a backup camera. Very much needed with the shell obscuring my rear vision. Made connecting to a trailer hitch very easy.
3. Bought new all-terrain tires to replace the dry rotted tires on the truck. Had a blowout on the driver rear side outside of Van Horn Texas on the way to Conroe.
4. Bought a powerful LED light and a Lucie solar light for the back.
5. Bought a 500W solar generator after watching a great review. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0924MVGKY?ref=ppx_pt2_tab_b_prod_image
Supposedly it will run my ARB refrigerator for a couple of days. Will be getting a 100 watt solar panel next. I already have a like new 2000 Watt Honda generator.
6. Offloaded all the unnecessary trucking stuff and other miscellaneous items to reorganize my shell for off-grid living.
7. I have all of my silverware, dishes and camping pots in an open tool caddy by the microwave on the left side of the truck cab. I have a work area to prepare food.
8. I used my remaining fuel points to buy a new Garmin OTR 700 7" trucker GPS. It blows my old one away! I only had to kick in $45 to cover the taxes.
Those are the main things I've done right now and I'm building up a list of other small items but trying to keep it minimalist.
My next challenge is to find a long-term campground in the Conroe area so that I can live out here to be near my kids and not move in with any of them.

Years ago we stayed at the Escapees Rainbows End Park in Livingston and really enjoyed it as my wife had family in Conroe. There was a really nice small state park just north of Conroe on a lake and only one cheap private park in the area. There were several super expensive parks near the lake. Good Luck! We ended up staying in family driveways while we were there, Hopefully things have changed since we were there 20 years ago.

Thanks for the updates here...I really like the utility shell camper idea...please keep us posted on any updates.

You're welcome. I will get some links up with current pix of my setup with my very neat, compact a/c install.

Bullfrog:
So far, rv park living is very limited & expensive. That seems to be the elephant in the room is affordable parking. I guess stealth parking is hit and miss as well as a cat & mouse game

Texas State Parks might be an option to break up visits. Lots of wealthy retired people in Conroe but maybe you could house sit or work out a rental deal. While we were in Livingston there were several lots for sale or rent in surrounding areas but they were expensive. We stayed several months there and workamped. The care center welcomes volunteers and offers free hookup site and some meals but fees for a lot are less than $400 a month plus electricity for members and a yearly membership is less than $50. We would park in family homes driveway for a few days at a time when visiting.

I just tested the portable 7000btu AC unit at our storage in Conroe. Couldn't be happier. It was hot and humid, perfect conditions for a good test. I plugged it into the outlet in our unit with a 25' extension cord which tucks in neatly between the shell and the left bed side as a shore power cord. It was decently quiet, even on the high fan setting. Cold air was pouring out of the rear door like the reefer trailers I used to pull. I climbed up into my bed and the breeze was very cool and comfortable. Had I been sleeping in it, I would have had to turn down the fan and raise the temp, or it would have frozen me out. The exhaust hose took seconds to insert the short distance into the driver side porthole. The Kill A Watt meter showed a reading of approx 900 watts on high fan, 70* setting.
For $299, I'm very pleased with the performance, sound level, smaller size and neat unobtrusive install. No big unit on the roof or sticking out the side or a complex & expensive permanent install. One more item to check off the list.

bullfrog said:
" but fees for a lot are less than $400 a month plus electricity for members and a yearly membership is less than $50. We would park in family homes driveway for a few days at a time when visiting."

What membership is this? I'm interested. Thanks!

tx2sturgis said:
Thanks for the updates here...I really like the utility shell camper idea...please keep us posted on any updates.

You're very welcome. I'm going to get my photo hosting situation sorted out so that I can post updates of my rig's current progress. There are a lot of new products available now that weren't around in 2012 when I started putting my camper together. With advancements in solar, LED lighting & battery charging stations, it's getting simple to be comfortable to live the vandweller life.

Just take a look at Escapees.com as they also have discounts at other parks as well. Escapees was formed because of transient worker needs during the time the interstates and large shopping malls were built and continue on today to meet retired peoples needs as well as those still working. Their headquarters is in Livingston Texas and because of their large numbers influence in the state and county make living in Texas or on the road much easier.

bullfrog said:
Just take a look at Escapees.com as they also have discounts at other parks as well. 

Thanks! I heard of them before and forgot about that resource. I'm only an hour away from Livingston. Going to check it out.  I bought a total of 2 Lucie solar lights, small carabiners top and bought to hang them for max light or ambience and I installed 6 Command hooks on the 2 long walls of the shell. I have a long storage chest for odds & ends on the left side to fill the gap. I velcro'ed a wood cutting board for a nice flat surface/ night stand. There's no doubt it's cozy in the back, but I have a large memory foam mattress, plenty of headroom to completely sit up and plenty of length to lay down, I'm 6'3". I can lock the door on the outside and release the sliding bars from the inside to let myself out.  I'd say the back of the camper is done. And front cab is about 90% done. Just waiting for my solar battery charging station and I need to order a 100w solar panel. I have a 2000w inverter I can swap in place of the 1000w if it will fit.
Longer term, I'd like to get an offroad camper like the Runaway Venturist 6X8 to give myself a lot more room.the

Just received the Oukitel portable powerstation today with a full charge. I plugged it into my ARB 50 qt refrigerator and it indicates 32* with a setting of 34*. Ambient temp is is 81* at 10:00pm in Conroe TX. I'm leaving it on all night to verify the battery drain, but I'm extremely pleased. I can now use the fridge with no worries of starter battery drain.. I'm ordering a Renogy 100w panel this weekend which should complete my simple solar installation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0924MVGKY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The Oukitel portable power station has been great so far. I have been powering my 50qt ARB fridge with it. Tonight I bought groceries including perishables, put them in the ARB and then went to my daughter's to hang out, never having to worry about spoilage. Everything remained around 33* and in perfect shape while the battery draw was minimal. Once I started driving, the car charging took over. The installation, cost and using of this solar system has been simple and cost effective.
My 100 watt RockPals foldable solar panel came in tonight and I'll be testing it tomorrow weather permitting.
It seems very well made and compact. a YT review with the same Oukitel portable power station connected to this panel was very positive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH85FW9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I've been camping in a great RV park in Willis TX for a week now. Been going well. I've been doing little changes to dial in the rig. The AC is working great in the 80-96% humidity  Even with it running and a screened opening in the back door for natural ventilation, at night I get clammy. I'm running a regular fan too, any ideas to mitigate? I have my kitchen set up in the truck a couple of camping chairs and a small camping table.I've made a few omelets and a chicken salad burrito as I have a fridge and microwave also. It's a lot like trucking OTR, so the adjustment is minimal.

If you are in 80-96% humidity, you are gonna feel 'clammy'. 

Kinda hard to avoid. The A/C is probably working overtime to de-humidify the air and barely able to keep up...one would assume.

Ida probably brought some of that humidity to your area.

Probably a little larger AC would help as it would do more dehumidifying. Allowing humid outside air in probably isn't helping in a high humidity area.

I've been living in the shell for about 3 weeks now at a RV park. I'm pretty dialed in now. Sleeping well on my 10" memory foam mattress, beating the heat with my portable 7k BTU AC (just discovered the dehumidify cycle tonight, was about to die from the damp!) The truck cab kitchen with microwave, refrigerator, hot plate & coffee pot is meeting my needs.
I bought a 10'x10' awning with a screen tent installed inside, some camp chairs and tables along with a donated 10x10 outdoor carpet.
The showers are really nice here, never have to wait.
Overall, I'm adjusting and enjoying being out in nature & not having to be strapped down to the expensive & confining B&S existence.

PS, humidity is 98% indicated on my weather app at 10.15pm. With the AC running in the DH mode, it's vastly improved from last night & before. I'll see how it does thru the night & report back. I can't imagine that a 7k BTU unit isn't enough for this tiny shell.

Latest posts