thinking of a drastic change

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alicia

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering selling everything & going RV full time for a few years. My concerns are I’m now alone (my husband passed) & I’m older & not physically strong anymore. I’m not sure it’s safe or even reasonable for me to think I can travel the country on my own? Looking for pros & cons of living the campsite life?

Hi and welcome Alicia. Have you looked into renting an RV for a week and giving it a try first? Maybe even consider taking a friend along on your first go.

That’s a good idea! I’ll look into that! Thank you.

yes, if you can still get in and out of the RV and drive it safely down the road, you most certainly can embrace the nomadic rv lifestyle.

no more risk there then living in most cities in a house

Thank you! I am looking for some of the cons or things to consider as well. I just want to make sure I’m making the best decision for me.

Yah what you need to do is do it, MJ has a good tip. Please be comfortable warm and open minded.

Welcome to the CRVL forums alicia! Bob Wells has made many youtube videos featuring older single women. You can find them here with a bit of searching - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj7O3LCDbkIR54hAn6Zz7A/videos?&ab_channel=CheapRVliving They may help you decide if campsite life will work for you. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I think our state of mind plays a big part in this. Imagining you would like living that way puts you several steps ahead of those who think it would a horrible, impossible, or scary thing to do.

Alicia, i am older with a few chronic health issues. I started out in a class c. After a couple of years some of the chores and maintenance were becoming difficult. I downsized to a van. Not a class B. I do miss the amenities and comfort of the moho. But, even more, I love the simplicity of the van. It's a great life and there are a lot of other older woman doing it.

Avoid drastic major change. (Forty years of IT software development taught me that lesson over and over.)
Incremental smaller changes that lead to a desired goal are more manageable and give constant feedback that you need to keep going one day at a time.
Such, as has been suggested, weekending in a rental RV somewhere close to home. Two hour drive at most. This test is about living in an RV, not about driving and sight seeing.
I have seen some self contained vans for rent that are priced less per night than decent motels.
No need to even go anywhere, if you have a driveway in a quiet neighborhood with neighbors that aren't busybodies.

One of the things that amazed me the most when I first found Bob on YouTube was the number of women he featured living this lifestyle. I guess it just never occurred to me. My sisters liked camping but I guess I was narrow minded thinking that it was just for boys. I've always liked camping and roughing it. But moreover I like the idea that I'm the boss. I think renting an RV like has been mentioned is a great first step. Especially if you've never camped before. There is a site that's been posted here that will give you a map of local camp grounds in your area. I'll see if I can find the link. If you have a van or SUV now or even a car you could try one of those campgrounds with or without the RV and see what you like and dislike about spending a few days there. Keep notes. List things you absolutely must have. Needs that arent being addressed etc. Then check out the sub forums and ask questions. For instance how would you charge an iPad and cell phone on the road without worry of draining your car battery? The electrical section has a lot of info on building a solar charged battery bank (these can be as beefy as you like or only sized to run lights and charge a phone) sometimes I've found people here can be curt and direct with answers. Dont have too thin a skin about it. Practically all of them dont realize how easily things can be misinterpreted over the internet. Have fun, learn, grow as a person and enjoy life. Peace.

Hi alicia
I too will soon be on the road alone. I'm a 61 year old happily married lady who's husband dose not want to travel anymore.
I am not likely to be camping alone in remote areas too much. I hope to boon dock with others I have met through groups.
I will be traveling in a Prius.
I also plan to visit family, friends and do some house sitting.
I would like to see much of the west and the west coast.
I still plan on an exotic overseas vacation I can use my frequent flyer miles on!

UtahPam

Alicia, 

I have heard the advice many times to take baby steps. There is no need to jump into the deep end. 

Begin minimizing your possessions. Try taking a local camp outing to a local county park or state park using your car and a tent (or just your car). Watch a ton of YouTube videos to see how others did it. Having a friend try out the adventure with you is a great idea, too.

It has been a great choice for me, but you are right, it is not for everyone. But trying small steps will let you know if it works for you. 

If you can get out to visit one of the Caravans this spring or summer, you will get a chance to meet the people that are out here. That might be the thing that makes up your mind for you. There are lots of wonderful, real people out here. You can be with them or on your own as you please.

I wish you happy travels and keep on watching the great videos on YouTube!

Hi alicia
There is a lot to consider,
If I were in the same situation I would NOT but a NEW rig
or a BIG rig,
As soon as you buy any new vehicle as soon as you drive it off the lot it has lost a fair some of it's value.
Big rigs are harder to park, parking can be limited in some parks they will charge you more to park it.
and off road some roads may not be good for your rig.
Smaller is better but you have to consider if your traveling alone or with another in regard to what size to get.

Do you have any experience with RV's ?

I think so long as you have spare funds to cover repairs, and your monthly expenses, you'll be fine. Maintaining a savings pool to replace/repair the vehicle seems to be key. There's a fairly fine line between homeless/hobo. I think money/savings defines that line.

[font='droid sans', sans-serif]"My concerns are I’m now alone (my husband passed) & I’m older & not physically strong anymore. I’m not sure it’s safe or even reasonable for me to think I can travel the country on my own? Looking for pros & cons of living the campsite life?"[/font]

[font='droid sans', sans-serif]After my husband died, I thought my traveling days were over.  We camped and RV'd together.  Then I realized that I could go MY way.  I begged him to do Alaska but he wouldn't.  So after he was gone, I saw it as my chance.  I got a van, fixed it up, and over the next few years did pretty much the entire country.  [/font]

[font='droid sans', sans-serif]The first trip, Texas to Maine, 6 weeks, was fantastic!  I didn't sell my house or things then, just locked things up, arranged mail and bills, and went.  I always have a Plan B, just in case.  Yes, I was scared, but not one bad thing happened, and I was 62 then.[/font]

[font='droid sans', sans-serif]My time on the road taught me so very much!  Mostly, that I can take care of myself and handle pretty much anything that happens along.  You will develop a confidence that you never knew you had!  And knowledge and skills you never knew you needed.  Like many above, I do recommend you try it first before selling everything.  I did it for six years and recently decided to go back to a house.  You may be nervous or afraid but once you face that and get past it, you will be a person you respect.[/font]

[font='droid sans', sans-serif]Try it!  If you like it, great. If you don't, go back home and know that at least you tried.  [/font]

Hi Stargazer

That is great advice and a great story.
I will be traveling alone because my husband dose not want to travel anymore.
I'll be 61 soon.