Thinking it over

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzerOnTheMove

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. 
Two events have made me think over traveling and mobile living.
One: I have been a caregiver for my mother for the past decade. She died on May 13th, 2021. I knew she would leave us someday, so I wasn't surprised. Just shocked. The change to my life has been total because she lived with me and taking care of her was a full-time job for me, even when I was still working full-time. I am totally retired now and I know not what to do with the rest of my life. I am still young and still have a fire in my belly, but I feel like a marble rattling around in a shoebox living in this big old house with just me and my dog.
Two: I read the book Nomadland by Jessica Bruder. It was wonderful! Since beginning that book, I have read and perused everything I can find about vandwelling, seasonal working, and traveling off the grid as much as possible. I want to try it, but I am scared.
Can anyone and everyone give me your opinion? Please.
Thank you.
Suzanne

Welcome Suzanne. I think you'd have to try it to decide if it is for you. My experience so far has been that it is easier said than done. Downsizing has been difficult for me. Heating my van in winter has been difficult too. Still, I haven't given up and expect to do more traveling.

Thank you. I am thinking about taking my time and gathering what I need and will take some short trips. I appreciate your reply.

Start going camping right now in the vehicle you have and with stuff you already have. You'll learn pretty quickly whether or not camping full-time is a life for you.

The single most important thing is having a comfortable way to sleep. Second thing you'll really need is some totes to organize your stuff.

If you are new to camping, remember you can camp right in your own driveway or backyard. When you've done that a time or three, then branch out. Wherever you are, there is a county or state campground within a couple hours' drive.

Take it in baby steps. You might learn that after a week out, you will be eager to go home. Or you might learn that you like camping so much, you'll want to upgrade your vehicle and go out for months at a time. There's no one right way to do it, and it's all good.

Every journey begins with one step. Stick your foot in the water and see if it is the right temperature. The advice you got above a bad a little bit at a time is good advice. Start out slow to see what you like and what you can do.

“Sitting still and wishing makes no person great,
The good Lord sends the fish in,
But honey,
You got to get the bait“

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks everyone. I feel encouraged at least by my own wise decision making right now. I am essentially doing what you recommended. Many thanks.

Do some practice runs in your driveway/yard, and then work yourself up staying in a campground before you try out off-grid boondocking in remote locations. You will need to pare down many possessions along the way in preparation.

Try making it more then just getting out there. People used to ask how I could go weeks at a time canoeing. The said they’d be bored, afraid or whatever. One trip was forty days and I was bummed that I had to go home. I was always busy and anticipating my next move. I’d say to plan as much for activities like hiking and visiting stuff as much as your van build or whatever. Stay active and busy... always look forward to something out there.

Practice runs saved me a lot of stress when I go exploring. The first trip I packed so much useless stuff. Around the 3-4 trip I felt like I had a true idea what I needed to make me happy and comfortable. After that I practiced cooking and different recipes for camping. So my advice if you do not have any camping gear visit a couple thrift stores then go have fun, even the practice runs have given me very fond memories.

sorry for the loss of your mother, as i know the change can be great, but i wish you good travels. welcome to the forum!

My wife and I were excited to start the lifestyle and pondered selling our house and buying a van but decided to try a 3 month trip first but only made it 18 days before needed medical treatment from a poor diet.
Definitely start slow with short trips first to see if it fits you and expand from there.
Videos and movies make it seem easy but not the case all the time.
Look forward to seeing you on the road someday and good luck with your adventures.

Good afternoon everyone.
Two events have made me think over traveling and mobile living.
One: I have been a caregiver for my mother for the past decade. She died on May 13th, 2021. I knew she would leave us someday, so I wasn't surprised. Just shocked. The change to my life has been total because she lived with me and taking care of her was a full-time job for me, even when I was still working full-time. I am totally retired now and I know not what to do with the rest of my life. I am still young and still have a fire in my belly, but I feel like a marble rattling around in a shoebox living in this big old house with just me and my dog.
Two: I read the book Nomadland by Jessica Bruder. It was wonderful! Since beginning that book, I have read and perused everything I can find about vandwelling, seasonal working, and traveling off the grid as much as possible. I want to try it, but I am scared.
Can anyone and everyone give me your opinion? Please.
Thank you.
Suzanne
Me too but way to old. Big 3000 foot house with 6 bedrooms. I'm going to move on. Have camper and old favorite pickup. So, as soon as the weather breaks this spring I'm gone to a new adventure. Wife of 56 years died on me 2 years ago, she could have waited on me to go first. I'm still mad at her but I'll get over it if i try. I've traveled my whole working life but never had time to enjoy it, now i will--- but i can't seem to cook-- maybe i will starve. I've learned how to do hot dogs in the microwave and i am really good at fruit loops. Seriously, I'm working on the can opener. Discovered pop top cans at Walmart just the other day. Being alone all the time sucks! No one to tell me my cloths don't match, stuff like that. Sleeping is hard too. i keep scooching over to get warm and end up on the floor. Going to put crib rails up.
Suzanne-- You will find a way to be you, and get and take joy from each day, however you are going to have to take the leap. Huge numbers of people to meet and enjoy along the way. Lots of things to see and wonder at. Don't expect contentment to fall out of the sky and land in your lap. Theres over 6 billion people out there, bunches of them who would like to hear your life story, and enjoy life's adventure with you. Being in a rut will take courage on your part, just do it, or find some one to drag you off the humdrum course you are stuck in.
It will not take much money, very little.
Now i have find my other shoe. Going to re-trace my steps, It's got to be here someplace, It's zero outside so can't take trash out like this.
Ken

Ha, some good perspectives being shared here. I like the idea of it being something you are interested in and want to see if it could work for you. Depending upon your previous experience with similar things such as camping, trip planning, vehicle maintenance, etc. there may be quite a lot to learn. But you have probably learned a lot of things already in life. Some will help in understanding new things and all in your ability to learn and do new things. A nomad life may or may not be best for you, but how would you know without trying? I encourage you to investigate as you are doing by posting here, and as others have suggested try out what you can in steps to better understand the challenges, knowledge, skills, and whatever else is needed to do it in a way that is right for you. Its an experiment, keep at it, refine it. Even if it turns out to be not what you want, being actively engaged will put you into new situations, build new skills, meet new people, see new places, that could lead to new and great things for you. Change can be scary but it can also lead to great new things. Good luck!

Still thinkin'.
I'm not worried one bit. Well one bit maybe. Cooking. Being alone gives me too much time to remember. Makes my stomach knot up. Don't much like TV, Seems that everything is bad news, I need some good news. I'm not going to be forced into a life of fear. Even if i have to find the good news by myself. Been told that i "need" to wear a mask or I'll die, or I'll kill some one else. I eat the wrong food, i drink coffee, i say cuss words, i breathe therefore polluting the whole world.
So in March or April I'm hooking up my camper to my old pickup and moving on for the rest of my days, maybe I'll find a few some ones that will share this last great adventure with me, without fear or looking backward, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Tomorrow the sun will shine, I'm sure of it! Got new tires, a warm place to sleep, something unhealthy to eat. How mch better can it get? Ken

Welcome to the forum Ken, it's great to have you here.

Welcome, Ken:

I admire your attitude. As for eating, there are packets of many flavors of pre-cooked rice (just empty the packet into a pan, pour Wendy's chili on top and heat it up) and the dollar store has foil packets of tuna (you can put some mayo and relish right in the packet, stir and have tuna salad for a quick sandwich). I make gourmet oat meal, using a packet of instant and adding a scoop of trail mix. And don't forget ramen noodles...just add rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies and some spice or sauce. Now you have enough know-how to prevent starvation! So hit the road and let the adventures roll.

Welcome, Ken:

I admire your attitude. As for eating, there are packets of many flavors of pre-cooked rice (just empty the packet into a pan, pour Wendy's chili on top and heat it up) and the dollar store has foil packets of tuna (you can put some mayo and relish right in the packet, stir and have tuna salad for a quick sandwich). I make gourmet oat meal, using a packet of instant and adding a scoop of trail mix. And don't forget ramen noodles...just add rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies and some spice or sauce. Now you have enough know-how to prevent starvation! So hit the road and let the adventures roll.
Doncha see, now i have to think again, makes my head hurt. Now the water pipes are froze in the camper. I did eat an oatmeal/ raisin cookie. I think that counts. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas. didn't know the dollar store had that kind of stuff. Ken

Still thinkin'.
I'm not worried one bit. Well one bit maybe. Cooking. Being alone gives me too much time to remember. Makes my stomach knot up. Don't much like TV, Seems that everything is bad news, I need some good news. I'm not going to be forced into a life of fear. Even if i have to find the good news by myself. Been told that i "need" to wear a mask or I'll die, or I'll kill some one else. I eat the wrong food, i drink coffee, i say cuss words, i breathe therefore polluting the whole world.
So in March or April I'm hooking up my camper to my old pickup and moving on for the rest of my days, maybe I'll find a few some ones that will share this last great adventure with me, without fear or looking backward, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Tomorrow the sun will shine, I'm sure of it! Got new tires, a warm place to sleep, something unhealthy to eat. How mch better can it get? Ken
Hi Ken,
One of the great things to maintain your health is learning new things.
There are a lot of cooking show type things on Youtube. And they range in difficulty from sophisticated top chef to bachelor who never cooked in his life.
I've learned a lot about cooking Asian and Latin cuisine this way.

Hi Ken,
One of the great things to maintain your health is learning new things.
There are a lot of cooking show type things on Youtube. And they range in difficulty from sophisticated top chef to bachelor who never cooked in his life.
I've learned a lot about cooking Asian and Latin cuisine this way.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I try to be light hearted about what is going on with me but it's the truth with a twist. Fact is I just don't care to do anything. I put one foot in front of the other like some sort of mechanical man.
The neighbor lady gave me this lap top and has been showing me how to do stuff on it, Click here, Click there. Either her husband or her come by every day. The mail lady some times bangs on my door if I don't pick up my junk mail. She puts the flag up so I have to go out and put it down, other wise she thinks I have fallen and can't get up. (that's a joke) Ain't I funny?
At 83 years old, no one needs me any longer. The things I know are old fashioned. I can weld, I can overhaul your engine, fix your flat tires with hardly no tools. My wife's car sits in the garage with 12 thousand miles on it, she is not here to go shopping. She loved to go shopping. I don't like stores! I'll wait for you in the parking lot. She and I were a team. I'm half a team. worthless. So learning to cook? No one to cook for. I did make a crock pot of stuff, Ate a dish and tossed the rest out. Way too much. tasted pretty good though even if i do say so myself.
As I said when I signed onto this place, Been thinkin'. That is a dangerous thing.
Ken