Thinking about trading my truck in...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Reaction score
After adding a fiberglass topper with a four inch rise to my truck, I'm now considering going to a van. My truck is a 2014 Tundra 4X4 extended cab 6.5 box. I bought it new and it's paid off. 65,000 miles without a hiccup. I like to keep my vehicles for ten years but the van will give me much more room to work with. First off I don't think there is any van out there with the same reliability and durability of my truck. Secondly I'm concerned about taking a hit to change vehicles. The van probably won't be new. I'm considering an American make cargo on a truck chassis. I haven't really checked the market but I'm going to start looking around. I hate to part with the truck but why go any further if the van will serve me Soo much better ? Also I'm hoping I can get similar value/reliability with a full size van. Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Thanks !!!
Joe

I've had a GMC Savana regular length 4.8L V8 van for a year now, have spent 14-weeks on the road as part-timer, and am very happy with it. A 1-year old van like this with under 20,000 miles will cost you $20-25,000. When I was younger, I had Jeep Cherokees for 20+ years, and what I really miss is having 4WD on BLM and forest service roads in the west, as the BLM roads tend to be especially bad.

Bob Wells has a similar van and he's gotten stuck a number of times in the places he's taken it. I've also gotten stuck in deep sand at Anza Borrego. You can get a Quigley 4x4 conversion for a van, but I think they cost $8-10,000 (not sure). With a 4x4, there are also many beach areas you can drive onto and camp, eg Padre Island.

For $3-4,000 you can buy a 6'x10' or 6'x12' cargo trailer to tow behind the truck, and just toss your camping gear in the back. You don't even need any sort of conversion, at least to head out initially. If I were younger and had a 4x4 truck already, that's what I would do. Drop the trailer at a campsite, and take the truck in as far as you want to go. With the topper, you can also sleep in the truck at the end of the road. That's about as free as you can get.

I was thinking the same until recently. I adore my Chevy Colorado 4x4 with Leer cap and it only has 30k miles on it. It's super fun to drive and I've been scheming about how to live out of it full-time. Concerns about the trifecta of mobile living--safety, storage and stealth--preclude sleeping in the back. As a solo woman, I want to be able to jump right into the drivers seat and skeedaddle if I feel uncomfortable somewhere. I'd also like to go back country sometimes. And I don't want to tow anything, at least not yet. So I sprung about $500 for a Notel sleep system. Hoping it fits the bill. I'd share the link to the website, but a moderator deleted one of my posts about this and told me I can't share any links until I've made 10 posts. I'm not selling this product, just trying to inform others about this option.

You want the truck, stick to trucks.

Custom DIY cargo-type box, either built on or replacing a flatbed?

On an 8' or longer bed frame, might need to go regular cab not extended / crew.

4x4 adds $$$ but. . .

I'm looking for even longer, ideally can carry a 20' conex, and must be able to tow a 14000# trailer.

Forestry / boom / dump trucks fit the bill, gassers with 8.1L motor go for $15-30,000

Keeping the 4WD truck and topper as your sleeping unit, then converting a cargo trailer as additional living space is an option.

This is what I did. It works well for me!

Might be interesting to rig up a tent 'sleeve' between the bedroom and the trailer space. Put a door on the front of the trailer and a removable platform on the tongue area. Maybe also set it up to that you can link them when the trailer is disconnected. Say, through the side door, or an "L" arrangement with the back of the truck facing the side door, making for a little 'courtyard' space in the L.

I'm guessing parks like Coyote Howls are fine with cargo conversions? That's really the only thing concerning me, but then again, I've also been entertaining the idea of my own patch of desert, so I wouldn't even have to worry about that, except for the occasional trip.

Chez. My Suburban is at 212,000 and we're just getting started! :)

Thank You ALL for the responses. I like the idea of a cargo trailer. I'm guessing that would not increase the stealth factor overall ? Number one I don't have to ditch my truck. Number two the cost is reasonable and warranted. Number three it seems like a fairly practical solution. Ok so around three grand new. Any recommendations on which brand, where to shop, New/used, options etc ? I know that's a lot of questions, perhaps start a new thread ?

Chief said:
Thank You ALL for the responses. I like the idea of a cargo trailer. I'm guessing that would not increase the stealth factor overall ?

Chief, you didn't mention 'stealth' in your original post...is that a factor for you?

My pickup truck and cargo trailer are both white, and while I would not say it is 'stealthy' to any degree, it does kinda blend in sometimes, in some places.

I have a 2010 a 4 x 4 Tundra Crew Max which I also really love but left at home to take a Class B - Ford E350 chassis - on the road. I have been full time now for over 6 months and 12,000 miles in the B.  It has it's benefits for sure and I am pretty happy.  Plus there is no perfect set-up, so in general you have to give up something to gain something.
I will never (fingers crossed) sell that truck especially because it is excellent to go many more places than I can in the B.  I love my campervan, but it is often that I wish I had my truck too, so I think about what the right pull behind for my truck could be!
The main advantages for me right now are that I don't have to get out to set up if it is rainy or dark, and I am able to jump into the drivers seat and move more easily if it is necessary since I am a woman traveling solo. For me, that was a priority in order to feel more comfortable.  Also, since I am not towing - it's so much easier to park and to get around in general.  And it is quicker and easier to set up/break down camp, but that is an advantage only because I am often moving after a night or two right now and don't spread out...also I really can't carry much to spread out, so am limited by that as well!
I previously pulled a 30ft TT and the Tundra was perfect towing and perfect for exploring the area once there.  But that was staying in one place at least a week and often a month or more!  And yes, could carry lots of stuff ...  miss my kayak, my ice maker, a lot of my clothes, more & bigger chairs and toys, well, you get the idea!  On the other hand, I just don't have a lot of stuff now, so life is actually a lot easier.
Felt the need to contribute my two cents because I think you might end up missing your truck if you trade it in on something you aren't sure about.  Just sayin....cuz it sure is a sweet truck!
I also vote for keeping your truck and thinking about a cargo trailer or even a small TT if it works for how and where you wish to travel. Maybe you could get out there like that for a bit in order to determine if you still think the van will be a better fit.  
I hope this helps, good luck!

Thank You for all the responses !!! It's been so busy I haven't checked my email in awhile. I live in Pennsylvania. Stealth isn't my number one concern but of course it might come in handy. Yeah I guess the stealth factor would go down. I'll check out the link you posted River Man. Much Appreciated. When I check Craig's list there's so many brands...it seems like they hold their value fairly well maybe new is the way to go. I have places locally that would gladly sell me a new one but I don't want to throw my money away either..

It is easier to make a stand up camper for the back of your truck than find a high top van that you can stand up in. I see small pop up campers for trucks in Craigslist all the time.

Latest posts