Theatre on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanontheroad

Reaction score
We enjoyed the concerts and playhouses available in the cities where we have lived. No reason to give that up. Even smaller communities have performing arts available. Check the internet or the local papers. We well be enjoying one of the final performances for the season of Murder By Natural Causes by the local theatre group. Tickets are $12, which is not unreasonable.

I've been involved in community theatre for years. Lots of small parts and even played a pirate when they were short a tenor for Pirates of Penzance. My Toy Poodle Cricket has been in three plays. Standard Poodle Gable played "Sandy" in a junior high production of Annie. Some local and regional shows are comparable to the big productions as far as talent. Even the bad ones have at least one "star" that makes it bearable. Even junior and high school shows are enjoyable at a very low cost. I favor musicals and hearing someone belt out a show tune is one of my most favorite things.

I've been working in the theatre industry for 24 years and actually earning a living at it for the last 14. I work behind the scenes, dealing primarily with lighting and effects. It's really a great industry to work in. I can't see myself doing anything else for a living. I know many people who dread going to work because they hate their jobs. I go to work to play. I've worked on shows that could be described as pure schlock and shows that are known worldwide as being among the best in the business. All are fun in their own ways and I remain a happily anonymous cog in the machine. It can also be a lot of fun to see shows when I'm out on my road trips, see how other crews work, and generally try to get my mind out of tech mode and just be an audience member.

I've spent more time backstage than on and love seeing the inner workings of a play. Yes, some actors are a bit "Prima Donna" but most are just happy to get their five minutes. It amazes me to see a train wreck turn into a really good show on opening night.

In addition to community theatres, many colleges and universities that have theatre departments often do very interesting productions.

If you're going to be in one area for a few months, you can research this online and mark some interesting possibilities on your calendar.

Also, the colleges sometimes have some great concerts to attend.

Regards
John

decodancer said:
It amazes me to see a train wreck turn into a really good show on opening night.

It can be just as mind boggling to see a really good show turn into a train wreck on opening night.:p

This tends to happen when the final dress rehearsal goes off flawlessly.

As an artist, I too have been involved in community playhouses, building and painting sets, backdrops, and being a curtainman once the show was on.

Big fun!!