the truck house: the beginning.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rando

Reaction score
truck with top 003.JPGtruck house 2015 004.JPG

the whole story is here (fundraising site):  http://www.gofundme.com/p9mh8w

but here's the gist:

So, after a lot of research on solar power, tiny houses, vandwelling, and sustainability,  I decided to try to make a tiny living space in the truck bed of my my Ford Ranger, about 30 sq ft.  I need a camper shell, solar panels and power supplies, deep cycle batteries, a couple of small appliances and a  few other things to make it work.  my goal is to create a solar-powered, self-sustained-and-contained living space.  Once completed, I will live in it and report back. You will be able to watch the progress of the build and get a detailed list of materials and prices, and see pictures as I go along.  I'm sure my mistakes alone will be entertaining! Through watching me you will see how to make your own  living space, the materials you will need, and how they go together, as well as some of the challenges and trade-offs  involved in equipping such a small living space. As you can see I have already made the bed frame, using found lumber that cost me nothing.   Most of the cost of the project is from the solar power stuff I am going to need to run the (very) few electric items I'll have in there.  whenever possible I will utilize recycled/repurposed and used materials.

very excited to get this moving! thanks for all the ideas and advice.

List of materials:
camper shell 72" x 54"
100watt monocrystalline solar panels (2)
100ah Deep cycle marine batteries (2)
1000 watt pure sine wave power converter
30 watt mppt charge controller
Battery Cables (4)
assorted connector cables and adapters
portable toilet
mini refridgerator or wine cooler
cooking stove
water storage
roof vent
small portable fan
3m VHB double-sided bonding tape

Attachments

• truck with top 003.JPG
    truck with top 003.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 32
  • truck house 2015 004.JPG
    truck house 2015 004.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 31
Truck House!
first staging of the truck house interior. As I suspected, some changes are in order. as Zuzu correctly predicted, the bed is overbuilt. it is also too wide and high for the space; it works, but is too claustrophobic. the reason I built it so high is that I wanted room to fit the full size spare tire under the bed, which it does; but I *MAY* be able to fit the spare into the temporary spare holding area under the truck. I am not sure, since I have never tried it or even used the donut, ever. I've always had a full size spare in the bed. the other thing is the mattress is really too thick; I think it could be a 2 or 3 inch pad instead of a 4 and still be fine for me.
The fridge only opens about halfway in its current position, because of the wheel well. if I raise it up 8 inches with a table underneath it would clear the wheel well, and give me space for the batteries I will need to run it.... however, the additional height may add to the claustrophobic feel. here is where a wine cooler may have been a better choice, seeing as how they make them in different sizes and some are wide and not that tall.. . that may be an option. The toilet is big. it's not the smallest model. I will try a smaller one.
Good news. I just took the temporary donut tire out from it's little bin under the truck, installed the full-size spare in there. that means I will be able to cut the bed down just above the bottom rails, decreasing it's height by 2-3 inches and still have room for the donut tire underneath the bed.

Attachments

• truck house prelim interior 002.JPG
    truck house prelim interior 002.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 40
  • truck house prelim interior 001.JPG
    truck house prelim interior 001.JPG
    895.2 KB · Views: 51
Why do you need to take the donut tire if you have a full size spare tire?

Take an air compressor and a tire plugging kit ( learn how to use it before you need to ).  Takes up a lot less space, and is way more useful than that stupid donut spare.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Take an air compressor and a tire plugging kit ( learn how to use it before you need to ).  Takes up a lot less space, and is way more useful than that stupid donut spare.

I agree - the last thing you need when living in a tiny space, is things that take up lots of space, that you will NEVER use. Two spare tires??? Have you ever known anybody who had a second tire fail before they could get the first one fixed?

Jim

brightbluejim said:
I agree - the last thing you need when living in a tiny space, is things that take up lots of space, that you will NEVER use.  Two spare tires???  Have you ever known anybody who had a second tire fail before they could get the first one fixed?

Jim

Well, yes, I have but that was back in the 1950s... :D

And no, I wasn't the driver, I was just a small child then :p

I have seen it too, but he ran over things he knew he shouldn't - blew out both tires on one side. But plug kits and an inflator would have served well.
I did occasionally use the wee donut on a small car, but it was always flat when I pulled it from the trunk and had to be inflated to use. Soured me on donut tires.

Bolt a spare carrier onto your tailgate. Then carry the full size tire.

brightbluejim said:
I agree - the last thing you need when living in a tiny space, is things that take up lots of space, that you will NEVER use. Two spare tires??? Have you ever known anybody who had a second tire fail before they could get the first one fixed?

Jim

well yes, it's happened to me 3 times. my buddy twice. my dad once that I know of, when I was there. once on my truck it happen within 1/2 hour of each other. all of these where in the middle of nowhere. luckily we all had 2 spares with us. if you want adventure come with me, if not stay on the pavement. highdesertranger

brightbluejim said:
brightbluejim Wrote:  Have you ever known anybody who had a second tire fail before they could get the first one fixed?

highdesertranger said:
well yes,  it's happened to me 3 times.  my buddy twice.  my dad once that I know of,  when I was there.  once on my truck it happen within 1/2 hour of each other.  all of these where in the middle of nowhere.  luckily we all had 2 spares with us.  if you want adventure come with me,  if not stay on the pavement.  highdesertranger

You know, I should have known better than to ask a question like that. I guess it depends on what kind of driving you do.

the most recent version. lowered the bed.... made a table....

Attachments

• truckhouse night 002.JPG
    truckhouse night 002.JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 40
  • table2 012.JPG
    table2 012.JPG
    582.7 KB · Views: 27
  • table2 001.JPG
    table2 001.JPG
    779.9 KB · Views: 18
I'm currently building my Ranger in a similar matter. Are you traveling solo, or with a partner/pet? Sometimes the added weight/supplies of extra gear should be take into account. If you MUST take the donut spare, I recommend getting a rooftop rack for the cab and putting the donut there. It will free up a lot of living space on the inside of the shell. However, I agree with just taking the fullsize, an inflater kit and some temporary "slug" patches, and familiarize yourself with how to use them. In my truck, I'm running a set of 31x10.50x15" mud tires, which are much larger than factory size, so naturally my "fullsize" spare(only a 30x9.50x15") still takes up quite a bit of space. I figured I should have a similar sized spare, so I ditched my factory spare and instead also added a can of Fix-a-Flat, slug patches, and a 12V inflater kit too. I figure, if i get a flat, I can put the spare on, patch the hole with my temporary slug patch, and use the inflater to reinflate the patched tire. If worst comes to worst, I can use the fix-a-flat on an additional flat tire. A friend of mine use to Overland in his Ranger, all the way through southern Mexico, to Alaska and back again, and he never used two spares. I highly recommend ditched the donut and adding the slug patches and inflater in its place. You'll save weight and thus, have more fuel for exploring. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your build-up.

I have, over the decades of driving, twice had tires fail internally as the liner separated from the outer casing. No 'Fix-a-flat' or repair kit would have fixed it. Once had a sidewall cut that also was non-repairable. I ALWAYS carry a spare. Good insurance. I do carry a can of fix-a-flat which has come in handy too. But the tire guys really hate that stuff! Be sure to warn him before he goes to remove that tire from the wheel.

can you tell me the height from floor to ceiling at the front of your camper? how tall are the wheel wells? Ive been working on a design, but these ive just been ballparking.

floor to ceiling at front: 36-37 in. depending on where you measure. keep in mind also that I have a plastic bedliner in place...

wheel wells (with bedliner thickness included) 9 inches at highest spot.

changed the inside just a bit. lowered the bed yet again. pics to come.

had to do a new table to accomodate the fridge.  also lowered the bed even more.

Attachments

• truckhouse may1 001 (800x508) (2).jpg
    truckhouse may1 001 (800x508) (2).jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 52