The story so far:

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamjam1

Reaction score
I've been living in a van for the last two and a half years now. Yet, it feels like I spent my first night out in my van just last week.. Wow time flies.

I'd say the low point was trying to straighten out my university loan debt, and back taxes. I didn't really comprehend how bad of a mess I was in until I tried to fix it which took thousands of dollars and months of back and forth phone calls, signatures, applications and approvals. I was seriously getting depressed after a while. I didn't think it was ever going to end. But eventually I did manage to straighten it all out. It was a huge weight off my shoulders.

My revolving debt was easy in comparison. No hassles. Just pay the darned bill. Close the account. Move on. I went from four credit cards to zero. I went and got a American Express green card, and I now swear by AMX.

The high point so far was upgrading my AMX green card to a gold card, and realizing that I didn't live paycheck to paycheck anymore. I have the money to pay off my balance whenever I felt like it, and have enough money coming in to cover whatever else I wanted. I think that was the single most liberating realization I've ever had in my adult life. To no longer have to worry about money.

My coworkers followed me into van dwelling. I use to be the only one at work who did it, and some made fun of me for it. But as the months rolled on and everyone saw what I was doing. They started to be converted. Now five more people here live in vans full time, and a couple does it part time in their RV. The place looks like a RV/van parking lot at night now. And more are coming. I feel like Ive started a mini trend here.. :)

I got rid of all my extra vans, keeping only the 4x4 Van Charger, and I bought a Class-B RV. In fact I bought two RV's. The first RV was a Dodge Surveyor. I really shouldn't have bought it. It ran pretty good and drove nice, When I got it "home" I realized that the entire interior was extremely moldy, and had to be ripped out and replaced. That was a bummer. I had neither the time nor the place to do a restoration like that. So I gave it away to my coworker who was at the time living in an abandoned snack shack. Then I bought the Ford RV. I love it so much I think I am buying Fords from now on. The best part is I bought both RV's without borrowing a single penny. I had the cash. And I don't mind losing a couple of G's in giving the first RV away to someone who was living in an abandoned snack shack. (That would suck, right?)

Oh yeah I met a pretty cool chick who is all about live in vans and RV's. I never thought it was possible to get laid while living in a van. Well I was wrong.

All in all the last two and a half years living in vans and RV's has transformed my life from endless slavery to debt, to almost complete financial freedom. My FICO score went from 600 to almost 800, and I can do just about anything I want. While I was at it, I learnt ALOT about life and what I really needed, and what I didn't. What I wanted, and what I didn't want. And most of all, what aspects of my life were B.S. and I just needed to let go.

The only thing is, now that I am eye-balling buying a house on acreage... Ive grown to comfortable living in vans and RV's.. I'm not sure if I want to give it up.

GASP!  Say it ain't so, Joe!  

Fords and Sticks and Bricks!   :D

Way to go!  That is a success story.  One to show my kids.  

I love the Van Charger, and would like to find out some details on it.

Great story.  Congrats on getting your financial house in order.

Your work is awesome for being accommodating to everyone.

Yay! I give u a lot of credit for doing it while working!

Cool for you !
Major karma points for giving the snack shack dweller a new home !
You're finally the one controlling your life.
I hope you tell all your new vandewlling friends about the tribe here and get them on the forums.

I've noticed there are two side effects from van dwelling it over the last two and a half years:

I've lost about 20lbs. (Being stressed out, and pissed off at your financial situation will do that. I don't recommend it.)

I crammed van dwelling and living frugal down my own throat. I'm not sure I can cram being lazy and mellow down. And I'm struggling with slowing my life down. I've gotten so useto doing like 9 things at once ontop of working 40 hours a week in a near crazy eyed hyper-focused warp-speed effort to get out of debt, I just can't seem to take it down a notch very easily now that I've gotten to the end of the tunnel. I always need to be moving, doing, going... I was never like that before. When I look back I can see the root cause of how I got myself into the financial mess I was in. I was so laisser faire about everything in my life. That has changed sooo much. Maybe its my brain going on YELLOW ALERT, not wanting to go back to the way it was so its struggling to re-adjust back to a more sedentary life style. Or maybe its just my 44 year old body on the final freak out before it hits middle age like a freight train to a brick wall.

I don't know.

Great story, thank you for sharing.

I'm not van dwelling yet but I am so anxious to be. Just getting everything in order and hope to be on the road by the end of the year.

I've had a recent fear inside me about actually doing this but I am soooooo excited to do it. hahaha I know I am going to be financially free and actually able to LOVE LIFE.

So it's awesome to see others having success. :)

steamjam1 said:
I've noticed there are two side effects from van dwelling it over the last two and a half years:

I've lost about 20lbs. (Being stressed out, and pissed off at your financial situation will do that. I don't recommend it.)

I crammed van dwelling and living frugal down my own throat. I'm not sure I can cram being lazy and mellow down. And I'm struggling with slowing my life down. I've gotten so useto doing like 9 things at once ontop of working 40 hours a week in a near crazy eyed hyper-focused warp-speed effort to get out of debt, I just can't seem to take it down a notch very easily now that I've gotten to the end of the tunnel. I always need to be moving, doing, going... I was never like that before. When I look back I can see the root cause of how I got myself into the financial mess I was in. I was so laisser faire about everything in my life. That has changed sooo much. Maybe its my brain going on YELLOW ALERT, not wanting to go back to the way it was so its struggling to re-adjust back to a more sedentary life style. Or maybe its just my 44 year old body on the final freak out before it hits middle age like a freight train to a brick wall.

I don't know.
I tell ya what, steamjam1, better you're finding this out now rather than just coming up on it at 66, like this old fart. Working yourself to death is for the birds and so is sittin' on your ass all the time. Both of 'em will put you in the grave quick!

steamjam1 said:
And I'm struggling with slowing my life down. I've gotten so useto doing like 9 things at once ontop of working 40 hours a week in a near crazy eyed hyper-focused warp-speed effort to get out of debt, I just can't seem to take it down a notch very easily now that I've gotten to the end of the tunnel. I always need to be moving, doing, going... I was never like that before. When I look back I can see the root cause of how I got myself into the financial mess I was in. I was so laisser faire about everything in my life. That has changed sooo much. Maybe its my brain going on YELLOW ALERT, not wanting to go back to the way it was so its struggling to re-adjust back to a more sedentary life style. Or maybe its just my 44 year old body on the final freak out before it hits middle age like a freight train to a brick wall.

First, be aware that 44 is still almost a youngster these days. LOL

So here is a thought: why not use your energy and newly acquired spare time to do things you enjoy? A new hobbie? Something you always wanted to learn? Spend a couple of hours a day lot in a novel ... without any guilt about taking the time to do it? I've seen the quote: "When you're bored, what does your mind wander to?" That might help with new ideas. The main thing is not to take up shopping and consumerism after all your hard work. LOL

You're to be congratulated on your discipline for sure!!

I always wanted to make a coffee table book on clouds.  I can spend hours looking at them.  

That is one of the things that I can watch that is constantly changing.  :)