the Stock Market

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of Morningstars free tools is the portfolio tracker. I check everything on my iPhone by clicking one link. The only reason to spring for the premium service is to get detailed information - analysis and company/stock info. Generally not necessary. If you're going to play the market for fun, their valuations, though may be worth the several hundred dollar annual fee (I think it's over $200 now - not sure). But that info might be available on the free account. I'd have to log off their system and try to locate it...

(SIGH) My resolve already weakened. Sold VOD and GE at a gain, intending to behave myself and get into that mutual fund. Then, I saw the bears running around like their hair was on fire over T, and I couldn't resist.

Just sold my entire portfolio and took my gains. Market is on an over excited high after the elections. Once they discover that Utopia has not arrived and it will be more business-as-usual, they will start sulking and stock prices will drop. I will be readdy to buy back in.

Since I've retired I've had time to watch my stocks, and I've done pretty well. Alibaba had it's IPO on 9/19/2014. I got some at $90.50, now it's $115. It wasn't too hard to figure out that Alibaba (BABA) would do well, they're China's largest internet retailer, like Amazon only they make money. Another great stock I bought a few years ago is RGP. It pays about 7% dividend, and the dividend is NOT TAXED. Yep, that's right. And, they raise the dividend every quarter. It's good to have cash in your account. That way if a buying opportunity comes up you have cash to act on it. You can invest in silver by buying SLV (an etf), which is way down right now (about $15). It will go to $30, it has to, we just don't know when. It's a good buy right now. It's can't go to zero, because silver is something.

Seraphim said:
RGP is a limited partnership:
Indeed it is, but as far as trading it's just like a stock. I bought it for about 22.50, and the most recent quarterly dividend was .5025, which works out to $2.01 / year. Even though it closed today at 29.44, it's still probably a good stock to buy, because it goes up when gas and oil go up. And, the dividends (they're like dividends, but technically they're not called dividends) are tax free (with some unimportant exceptions). I think a good place to invest is Chinese companies, since China is the only country with a good growing economy. I'm thinking BABA will continue to climb, but of course I don't know.

Silver is speculative. SLV had a meteoric rise after 2008, then has dropped like a rock as market confidence grew again. Sooner or later the market will go into correction, and the speculators will buy precious metals again, driving the cost back up. But when? *shrug*. I don't see the market going into recession - or a bear market - anytime soon. I suspect it will be in defib until late in the first quarter of 2015, then begin a steady rise. I tend to guess on the conservative side. Figured a 5% return on equities for 2014, and it's closer to 9% right now. I don't think we'll see SLV going to $30+ for some time. A mere correction won't drive it that high. Imo

Seraphim said:
Figured a 5% return on equities for 2014, and it's closer to 9% right now. I don't think we'll see SLV going to $30+ for some time.
The thing about SLV is it can go up in good times because it's a useful metal, and it can go up in bad times because it's a precious metal. But what I really like about SLV is the high premium one gets for selling calls. For example, you can buy SLV today for $15.63. You can sell a December 5 $16 call for .30. This means if SLV is still $15.63 on Dec 5, you keep the .30, which is almost a 2% return for less than a month. If it goes over $16, you keep the .30, and your SLV gets sold for $16, so you make an extra .37. If it goes down, you just do it again. It can't keep going down, because silver is something. It's really not too hard to make over 10% on your money with very little risk (but there still is some risk).

Never got into silver or gold. Not that familiar with the market sector. It's out of my comfort zone. I do have more knowledge of stocks. If I don't get too greedy, I do OK.

I know it's been pooh-poohed here, but I have been getting about an 8-10% gain every year by moving in and out of a few stocks 4 times a year timed to the dividend cycle. I don't wait for the dividend. If I buy at the low end of the cycle, the gains at the high end are almost always higher than the dividend and they are taxed at a lower rate. Not as good as some here do, but way better than bank interest.

Don't think commodities of any sort are a good idea with the dollar strengthening.

I bought some Seadrill (with like a 19% dividend) but I doubt it is sustainable. I sold some covered calls to add further income to the 19% dividend.

I would be amazed at 19% being sustainable. I am even getting nervous about VOD. That's part of what went.

I've gotten away from calls (or puts), too. I had been spending too much time without reliable wifi and had considered just getting into an S&P and leaving it alone. I go crazy when I can't see what the market is doing NOW. I have reliable wifi for the next 3 1/2 months, tho, and could not resist the temptation to play.

I'm holding off getting back in the Market till the G20 thing shakes out... Europe isn't looking to healthy and might cause the Bears to come out of hibernation.

IGBT said:
I bought some Seadrill (with like a 19% dividend) but I doubt it is sustainable.
Why don't you think it's sustainable? I bought NYMT with about a 17% dividend at $6.75. The dividend keeps getting paid, but the stock is up to $8.11 do it's only 13% now. I'm going to look hard at SDRL. Lots of dividend, earnings, and great premiums on calls. Got to love it! When the price of oil goes up it could help SDRL since it will encourage more well drilling.

I'll trade if the stock market goes up or down. Is there any stock option traders here?

"Don't think commodities of any sort are a good idea with the dollar strengthening"

Shorting the metals has been working, but, all good things must come to an end.....

gojo said:
I'll trade if the stock market goes up or down. Is there any stock option traders here?

I dabble in stock options but most on the long side (buying calls, selling covered calls). I have not had much luck buying puts...Things like Facebook that you think are overvalued just keep going up.

I don't sell covered or naked calls.I been trading in the markets over 20 years. Stock Options about 10 years. I been having better luck with Options than Stocks. That's if you don't let greed and fear take over. Last 5 months I been learning tricks and trades of Weekly Options. I had good luck with weeklies on paper and real money. The negative side is my broker. They charge $7.00 a trade and $1.20 a contract. About 10 years ago I was Ameritrade and I think I'm going back, now I'm with Scottrade..
My dreams is to go on the road when I retire and use the markets for my second income.

gojo said:
I don't sell covered or naked calls.I been trading in the markets over 20 years. Stock Options about 10 years. I been having better luck with Options than Stocks. That's if you don't let greed and fear take over. Last 5 months I been learning tricks and trades of Weekly Options. I had good luck with weeklies on paper and real money. The negative side is my broker. They charge $7.00 a trade and $1.20 a contract. About 10 years ago I was Ameritrade and I think I'm going back, now I'm with Scottrade..
My dreams is to go on the road when I retire and use the markets for my second income.

Welcome back Gojo - how long until you plan to retire?

I would like to do it in about 2 or 3 years. I want to buy about a 20' foot travel trailer, that my 2008 F150 will pull. I was told by an rver, I should rent or purchase a small travel trailer and see how I like it . I believe I will take his advice.