The "Social Contract"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant really speak of the quality of stuff that was left since I havent seen the table.  I know I have seen such free areas in several video on youtube that were covering van life.  In the shots of the "free stuff" I didnt see anything I would have wanted but I dont recall it looking like trash.

I dont think you can compare items placed on a table with the refuse I have see strewn about free campsites.  Unless of course there was broken beer bottles, empty beer cans, empty food containers and perhaps several pieces of used toilet paper.  Now that I have seen in free camping sites.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"No they didn't.  Sears started 50 years after the end of the Oregon trail exodus and Well Fargo started 10 years after."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The Oregon Trail was not the entirety of the pioneer movement. The Oregon Trail had trading posts and protective forts located along its entire length. The pioneers didn't make their own Conestoga wagons, nor did they breed their own horses, make their own rifles, or forge their own cooking pots. They didn't even make their own pocket knives. Not to mention that all the land they homesteaded came from the US Government--which also provided all the military protection they needed.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"Who makes YOUR clothes? Who produced YOUR food? Who built YOUR shelter? Indeed, who made the computer you are typing on right now? "[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I noticed you didn't answer this simple question....[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"You seem very angry Lenny."  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm not angry--I'm  laughing. That is a rather large difference.[/font]

SDRob said:
They labeled it"FREE Table".
. It is a few books and a lot of trash that those who left it should have taken out. It might have made the litterer feel good by maybe someone needing their trash. To me it is a societal issue that people can leave their trash anywhere. This is how access to land is lost. "Leave no trace " is a fundamental philosophy.
Until people learn to be responsible, and respect those of us who follow behind the slobs. Boondocking will just be more difficult to find places.

geogentry said:
I dont think you can compare items placed on a table with the refuse I have see strewn about free campsites.  Unless of course there was broken beer bottles, empty beer cans, empty food containers and perhaps several pieces of used toilet paper.  Now that I have seen in free camping site.

These items are directly related to a thread titled "Ehrenburg Rangers to enforce 14 day camping limit". The litter is one aspect of the ills of society, that of inconsiderate behavior. "Passing responsibility off to some one else is much easier than being accountable." The litter that's found at free campsites speaks loudly about our civilization (swill-of-a-nation). Every year, thousands of people hike the Appalachian Trail and spend their nights at/near shelters that are placed along the way, next to which are groves of used toilet paper.

The human being is built for cooperative interdependence, not independence. We each have things we like or love to do and bring those abilities and passions to the community to share while receiving the "output" of others expressing through their deepest interests.

For example, I hate cooking but others love to cook. I would rather chip in to pay a person that loves to cook for the tribe, than for me to grudgingly make meals.

free2enjoy said:
 ...We each have things we like or love to do and bring those abilities and passions to the community to share while receiving the "output" of others...
Free2Enjoy ...

Agreed!  :)
You did a much better job of expressing my sentiments than I did!  Bravo!

There's a book called "After the Ice" (don't recall the author) that describes neolithic tribal dynamics after the last ice age.  It [the book] has a lot of "stuff" to say, but among the biggest take-aways I had was that members of the tribe provided according to their skills, and consumed according to their LACK of skills ... in essence, trade.  The whole tribe benefited from whatever an individual brought to the table, and the individual benefited from the whole of the tribe as his/her needs required.  Together, united, they stood a better chance of surviving, even thriving.

But, I think the initial question is whether or not someone is required to honor "the contract" if they choose not too.  I think my answer is, (allowing for care of the infirm/old/injured/etc), yes, if they plan to take benefit from the tribe.

If someone chooses to be apart from the tribe, live lone wolf, then no, no contractual requirements apply.

But, can one really be that separate?  Is it truly possible to live without benefiting from the things that society (the tribe) provided (see my trail analogy somewhere way up there)?  Another example might be my life in America.  All of its problems aside (and there are many) I still enjoy freedoms within its borders that have been provided by others; law makers, veterans, hard working Americans ... etc.  How does one escape that benefit entirely?

GREAT conversation!  I love this stuff!  I always walk away with something new in my head!  :D

When I looked at the free table there wasn't anything I wanted but there wasn't any trash either. I left a nice basket I don't need. It was gone the next day. Also all the piles here and there of junk and trash look like they have been there for forty years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoMadYesHappy said:
There's a book called "After the Ice" (don't recall the author) that describes neolithic tribal dynamics after the last ice age.  It [the book] has a lot of "stuff" to say, but among the biggest take-aways I had was that members of the tribe provided according to their skills, and consumed according to their LACK of skills ... in essence, trade.  

What a great way to put it!!

That's exactly right!

I really think we would work best in a tribe, based upon intelligence rather than dogma.   A meritocracy.   Those that clearly know the most are the leaders.  Intelligent living which means sustainable which means fun.   The quicker and easier we can meet our needs, the more we can obtain and play with "wants".  

Look at how many people think of camping as a vacation.  They spend money to leave civilization in order to live a simple life in nature for a few days or weeks.   That SCREAMS the TRUTH that so-called "civilized living" is NOT sustainable but done by force.   

The force might be the alarm clock telling me to forget about sleeping, time to get up and go to work.  Etc...

It seems that society has shifted too much into systematic living and to make these systems work, it requires obedience to the dogma of the system.  And every country, state, and city is a system.  Every religion is a system.  And the financial system, etc...   Systems everywhere.

The real system is our authentic nature, to seek to do what we truly ENJOY doing!  And with a large enough tribe, someone will love to cook, someone will love to be a school teacher, someone will love to be a carpenter, someone will love to be a mechanic, someone will love to be an artist and so on.  

A city pretends to be a tribe.   A nation pretends to be a tribe.   A religion pretends to be a tribe.   A labor union pretends to be a tribe.  But none of them are because these systems are forced upon the children who get indoctrinated into the system and punished for being a heretic as though the system is infallible.  

No, we need a tribe that is focused on what is KNOWN to work and forced obedience to a system is a cult or worse regardless of any pretty names or platitudes we give it.  

So Bob is an outstanding tribal leader and the internet makes it possible for the tribe to be scattered and for the tribe to find each other.  And technology also allows us to go back to a simple life without necessarily having a life of labor, such as having solar to power appliances and tools.  There's no need to labor all day when we have tech to be the labor.  

To be free means in part to shed these systems.  Keep the tech but let go of the system as much as possible.

Likely an organic tribe would be more or less a bloodline so the care of the elderly means to care for a family member. And likely there would be able bodied members of the tribe that love to take care of the elderly or the sick. The tribe simply needs to be big enough to have the diversity of interests.

When you come in and you pass the rusty Barrel you'll see this table on the left when you get down the road a little bit
d4b40ebcf08f696ea2bfaf9b5b60344f.jpg

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

"Duty" is a word from the dictionary of slavery. It's motivation by "guilt trip" at the least.

For example, "jury duty" is a bit of a paradox. The gov't says that jury duty is one of the most important things a citizen does for his country. Ok, but if the citizen refuses to show up, he can end up in jail. The land of the free takes away freedom in order to make someone do their duty that the gov't proclaims protects freedom.

OK, the government-conspiracy crazy talk is getting pretty thick here now.

(yawn)

That's the beautiful thing about freedom if you don't like what somebody says you can move on if you're interested you can have a conversation the freedom is in your choice

If you keep talking politics, the mods will no doubt demonstrate how mistaken you are.

Frankly I'm surprised this thread hasn't been killed already.

lenny flank said:
OK, the government-conspiracy crazy talk is getting pretty thick here now.

(yawn)

Nope, not a conspiracy, but an observation.  Police FORCE, military FORCES, etc....., nations exist by force.  Take away these forces and the territory will be quickly taken over by the forces of another gov't.  True freedom can't exist in a system that exists by force.

Well I don't think he was talking politics I think you was trying to explain how Society because of the choices people have made that don't respect others has caused us to use our freedom and choice I don't think it was political I could be wrong I was just a agreement how Society has taken Parts of our freedom away. And wrong or right that's personal opinion

lenny flank said:
If you keep talking politics, the mods will no doubt demonstrate how mistaken you are.

Frankly I'm surprised this thread hasn't been killed already.

Observations are not politics.  And my remarks are consistent with the subject of the thread.   

Perhaps your assessment is wrong, that this thread continues to exist because there's nothing wrong with people expressing sincerely their point of view?