The Rhinestone Cowboy rides away ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasWoman

Reaction score
I didn't realize how much I cared for Glen Campbell until he passed away recently.

I heard his music when I was very young but he wasn't on my radar after the Jimmy Webb days ..
I was a Beatle baby and Glen Campbell just seemed to be a little too Hee Haw for me.
I watched his TV show in grade school but couldn't appreciate a lot of the music.

After he died, I watched some documentaries and learned a lot about him I never knew.
Like how he was a really well admired guitar player and a part of the Wrecking Crew in L.A.
How he never took a guitar lesson and couldn't read musical notes, just chord charts.

Now people are posting wonderful videos of him on YouTube and I just watch in awe.
What a great personality ... so incredibly cute (except for the bearded stage) ... and just a really down-to-earth, friendly, all around,  generous,  white hat, red-blooded American good guy.

This is one of my favorites .. Glen Campbell and David Gates (of Bread, another group I didn't fully appreciate in its day)

I've been listening to a lot of his music lately ...

Anyone else on here miss him as much as I do?

Attachments

• glen.jpg
    glen.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1
I broke up with a girlfriend at the time they were playing "By the time I get to Phoenix", so I remember that one well. And I actually did hitchhike to Phoenix and met a new girl there, so it worked out OK.

slow2day said:
And I actually did hitchhike to Phoenix and met a new girl there, so it worked out OK.
They say when one door closes, another one opens. :)

I was actually living in Phoenix when that one came out ....

That song, along with Galveston, Wichita Lineman and others are still as powerful and moving today as they were back then.

No wonder he seemed to enjoy singing them over and over and over.

Phenomenal performer, pure tonally perfect voice, never heard him sing even a teeny bit flat or off key, handsome as all get out and could play the guitar in his sleep ... The doctors are still amazed that his musical talent survived the ravages of Alzheimers as long as it did.

Hats off to Glen Campbell as he rides into the sunset of our memories ...

Ashley Campbell's Tribute To Her Father

Here is another one ... 

Glen Campbell was a good father as well a super star.  The instant fame and success took him away from his second family with Billie Jean and it's unfortunate for the children of that union. But he got a second chance with Kim Wooten and those kids benefited greatly from having him more involved in their lives.  He seems to have been wonderful man, friend and father...  

This clip from his Christmas special has got to be one of the sweetest moments ever recorded in television history:

Glen Sings His Son To Sleep