The Power of Elevation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

Reaction score
After reading this blog post about a way to travel the country year round with average highs around 70F (there's another for 80F as well):
http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/

...I got to thinking about the East coast a bit.  When folks talk about beating the heat, I hear them mostly talking about heading into the mountains out West where there is some big time elevation.

Now granted, I'd still ~like~ A/C for times when the temps get over 80F, but it seems like even if you were stuck in the Southeast during the summer, you could still do ok.  Here are some examples:

Whitetop, VA, 5520ft, avg high 80F:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USVA0828:1:US
(about 30min from a decent town)

Banner Elk, NC, 3600-3700ft, avg high 77F:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USNC0038:1:US

Sky Valley, GA, 3100ft, avg high 79F:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USGA0522:1:US
(looks like a resort though)

Now compare that to some places out West...

Alpine, AZ, 8050ft, avg high 78F:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USAZ0003:1:US
(food might be decently far away)

Leadville, CO, 10,152ft, avg high 70F:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USCO0235:1:US

Mount Charleston, NV, ~7500ft, high 80F :
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=4562

And what was shocking to me, was a place up North like Burlington, VT, 195ft, avg high 82F:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USVT0033:1:US
(great town BTW)

This was a nice list for me to start from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_United_States_cities_by_state

I also used this map to find exact elevation of places with roads or streets you could possibly park on:
https://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

So maybe it ~is~ possible to beat the heat in the middle of the summer in the Southeast?  I've been thinking about ~not~ having A/C on the road (Prius) and opting for something with a little more room like a Minivan.

My question to you... have you been to any of these places in the Summer?  Is the heat bearable?  Do the average highs not tell the full story of how comfortable an area is?  

Thanks!

A big factor is the humidity in the SE, as I'm sure you know. The highs that you show for some towns may not be hot enough to have the humidity affect you in a severe way. Fans in your van could help with that. Also note those are the "average" high temps -- weather has been weirder in the last few years and what about those days that exceed the "average?"

Two questions on those "cooler" towns:

1. Will there be places to stealth or campground or boondock that are AT those high elevations?

2. If the days are that cool, are the nights going to be okay? (low temps)

Thanks for the reply. I generally don't worry about lows, as being a guy from the Northeast who has camped in a tent at -35F in the Adirondacks, I guess the cold doesn't worry me like the heat does in terms of comfort. I can always throw on more clothes when it's cold. Unfortunately being in a shady van, naked, doesn't seem like a good way to go in a parking lot. Haha.

Bster13 said:
 Unfortunately being in a shady van, naked, doesn't seem like a good way to go in a parking lot.  Haha.

SternWake has told us of being in a thin sarong that he dampens and then lets his fan blow on him. But, that only works in dry air. :cool:

Good point about humidity though. That could really change my degree of comfort. :(

You can't count on averages. An average of 70°f doesn't mean it can't get to 100°f+ on some days...

12v air conditioners or 12v swamp coolers (evaporative coolers) are simple enough to build, and use very little power. To me these are a much better option than trying to chase the weather.

Another thing to consider when it comes to heat, is that even if it is only 70°f outside, your van could be 130°f inside if you're parked in the sun, and don't have a LOT of ventilation. Even with a lot of opening windows and fans, it can be a real struggle to keep your inside temps down without some form of a cooler. Shade is the only thing that can help, but if you need a lower temp than the outside air, a cooler is required.

Having spent some time in north Africa in the 70's I always remarked on the locals wearing more clothes in the hot afternoons (100+ degrees)while the tourists wore shorts and tee shirts, the answer was protection from the elements, move slower and sit in the shade.

The swamp coolers do look like they work, but would you worry about mold with all that moisture? And I assume they'd be less effective in the humid East and even more prone to causing mold in a van?

With window vans with lots of opening windows, I have never had moisture problems.

Also the 12v A/C units actually dehumidify the air, which is what I use.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
With window vans with lots of opening windows, I have never had moisture problems.

Also the 12v A/C units actually dehumidify the air, which is what I use.

Can you link to the unit you use?  I thought most of them were like this one where it saturates a media and then passes air through it:

http://www.swampy.net/

Bster13 said:
The swamp coolers do look like they work, but would you worry about mold with all that moisture? And I assume they'd be less effective in the humid East and even more prone to causing mold in a van?
I lived in Tuscon, where swamp coolers are common. They do not work at all if the humidity is above 37%. When the air is that dry, you welcome the extra humidity. Rather than recirculate the inside air back through the cooler, usually you pull in outside air to pass through the dampened pads, to maximize the cooling effect. So, that slightly more moist air is passed through and back out of the living environment. You don't have to worry about that moisture condensing on anything (besides a cold soda can) because everything is so hot and dry.

Believe me: If you are in an area where a swamp cooler will work, you don't have to worry about mold anywhere other than inside the cooler itself. And if you clean the cooler out every few months then that won't be a problem.

GrantRobertson said:
I lived in Tuscon, where swamp coolers are common. They do not work at all if the humidity is above 37%. When the air is that dry, you welcome the extra humidity. Rather than recirculate the inside air back through the cooler, usually you pull in outside air to pass through the dampened pads, to maximize the cooling effect. So, that slightly more moist air is passed through and back out of the living environment. You don't have to worry about that moisture condensing on anything (besides a cold soda can) because everything is so hot and dry.

Believe me: If you are in an area where a swamp cooler will work, you don't have to worry about mold anywhere other than inside the cooler itself. And if you clean the cooler out every few months then that won't be a problem.

I agree with you Grant about moisture worries in arid areas.  For some reason I keep mulling over ideas to stay somewhat near the East coast due to family.... or at least have the option to stay on the East coast if need be.  I certainly plan to travel to places out West, but I want a backup plan for if I need to be on the East coast during an extended period of time (sick family, etc.).  I can easily deal with cold, but I fear the heat getting to me.... it would stink to purchase a va, outfit it, quit my job, etc. etc. and hit the road only to either be stuck suffering in a humid summer or over-extending my budget and having to grab campgrounds.

There are such things as storage areas for your rig and airline tickets to get back home if needed on short notice.  There are options.  Spread your wings and fly   :cool:

B and C said:
There are such things as storage areas for your rig and airline tickets to get back home if needed on short notice.  There are options.  Spread your wings and fly   :cool:

Getting there my friend. :) "Unfortunately" I'm a planner, so it takes me a bit longer.  2-3 years and I'll reach financial independence, so we'll see!

Camping at 10,000 feet you would think it just never gets even warm huh. While you look up the averages for those areas, look up the highs too. It can het into the 90's up there and there is little shade if I were willing to be under a big tree. So with the trailer in the sun it doesn't take high temperatures for it to get warmed up inside. Outside in the shade will stay in the low 80s, inside it'll get hot.

Swamp coolers work well here when the humidity is low. They can take a lot of water, need fresh dry air from outside the space it is cooling, otherwise it just makes a muggy mess. Over time you will notice that everything absorbs the moisture if you use it a lot.

Temperature drops a little over 3 degrees per 1000 feet, so 3000 feet would only drop it about 10 degrees from sea level. That isn't enough to drop the temperatures into the comfort zone. My minimum is 7000 feet and higher is better.

Out west you also need to get to higher elevation to get into the trees, otherwise its treeless plains or high desert for much of it. So you go up in elevation and you get both shade in the trees and much cooler, a double whammy that works very well.

Of course the area along the Pacific ocean is a whole different story, but that is a relatively small area. Once you go east of the Sierras or Cascades, its all either plains or high desert or elevation and National Forest. Which of course also happens to be beautiful, much cooler and full of abundant free camping. Best of all worlds!
Bob

Bob, can you name a few places you beat the heat at? I'd like to research them, see what elevations, etc.

Also, do you ever just suck it up and head to a campground for electrical hookups and run an A/C or "hells no!"? :p

While I definitely see how your system could work, I'm not sure my migratory plans will be as predictive....so perhaps budgeting for 3 months of A/C might be in the cards. Haha.

here's my take on AC, 12v AC, and swamp coolers. why? do you want to sit all day inside your vehicle? why? I don't. I want to be outside doing something. there I said it without going on an anti AC rant. I think. highdesertranger

I hear where you are coming from highdesertranger, but I guess I'm just being a realist. I've backpacked, I've been nice a "crunchy" for decently long periods of time and I just think as I get older, I will be tolerant, just not ~as~ tolerant of the heat....the cold, NBD.

highdesertranger said:
here's my take on AC,  12v AC,  and swamp coolers.  why?  do you want to sit all day inside your vehicle?  why?  I don't.  I want to be outside doing something.   there I said it without going on an anti AC rant.  I think.  highdesertranger

Bravo!! Well done!! Standing ovations all around!  :p :D ;)

Bob