The Poop Bucket Experiment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TMG51 said:
cedar shavings are regularly available at any pet store. They're required for animals like Guinea pigs, which need non-aromatic bedding (so pine shavings are out).

That's what I thought until this last week.  This red cedar is very aromatic so this would not be suitable for all animals.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I'd be interested in a progress report after you have used it for a while.

I use sawdust in my poop bags because it absorbs the pee, eliminating a mess if the bag springs a leak.  So if you can get finer cedar 'dust' that is an added advantage.

I've been using it for 3 months now and so far so good.  This was the first time I purposely crapped in it AND left it in there to ferment while warm inside.  I've had no problems with the absorbency of the bigger chips.  They've done a great job for me and I love the smell of the cedar.

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE!!

My experiment has nothing to do with other materials.  Cedar chips are my choice of material to use and I posted this up for other people who also may have been interested in cedar chips.  I have other reasons for using cedar but they aren't relevant to this discussion.

In case you missed it in my first post I CANNOT SEPARATE so unless you want to sit next to me and hold the container yourself to catch my stream I would appreciate you not being critical of me or my experiment.  There are plenty of other threads where you can discuss separating.  Please leave this one judgement/"advice" free for those of us unable to. 

I also purposely did it to build up as much smell in as short as time as possible to test the odor reducing capabilities of cedar.  If you don't believe cedar has odor reduction properties then this may not be the thread for you.

Thank you for getting back on topic.

No idea who your talking about Headache, but maybe next time say something in your original post that you don't want others chiming in with advice or whatever. I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, I was trying to participate in your thread.

Headache said:
I've been using it for 3 months now and so far so good.  This was the first time I purposely crapped in it AND left it in there to ferment while warm inside.  I've had no problems with the absorbency of the bigger chips.  They've done a great job for me and I love the smell of the cedar.

Love your candor.   :D

I hope OP continues to update this experiment. Without meaning to step on toes, you can burn this #2 mixture with some extra fuel. The cedar chips by themselves are not enough to combust everything. Thanks to Headache for giving me the idea to try this!

Headache said:
BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE!!

My experiment has nothing to do with other materials.  Cedar chips are my choice of material to use and I posted this up for other people who also may have been interested in cedar chips.  I have other reasons for using cedar but they aren't relevant to this discussion.

In case you missed it in my first post I CANNOT SEPARATE so unless you want to sit next to me and hold the container yourself to catch my stream I would appreciate you not being critical of me or my experiment.  There are plenty of other threads where you can discuss separating.  Please leave this one judgement/"advice" free for those of us unable to. 

I also purposely did it to build up as much smell in as short as time as possible to test the odor reducing capabilities of cedar.  If you don't believe cedar has odor reduction properties then this may not be the thread for you.

Thank you for getting back on topic.

I will be testing the the cedar chip/sawdust material soon. My body loves doing the quick urination before the dump so looks like a great idea. I'll kick it up one more notch and increase my asparagus consumption to really put it to the test.

I understand the OPs frustration. This isn't a discussion thread it's more of a review. There's been more than enough issues with comments on the forum lately. Not that it is all intentionally negative but it's not in line with the forum rules either. If you want a discussion on the pros, cons, and experiences with different toilet options ... Go start a thread on it. It is NOT the OPs responsibility to direct others on the type of comments they expect. If the writer isn't asking a question I'd assume they aren't looking for answers ...

Headache - Just wanted to clarify something. Are you making a deposit into a bag with shavings and then sealing off that bag or are you using a common bag for all your deposits? Thanks