The new CB radio - where to put it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cammalu said:
What do you think?  Carpet or velour?

If you think you will keep the CB up there, and you probably will, I would order the carpet, because then you can use a piece of velcro on the bottom of the radio, and it will stay hooked to the carpet and wont move at all.

You would be using the 'hook' side of the velcro, thats the side that is kinda 'bristly' feeling, not the softer fuzzier piece.

Anyway, it will hook onto the carpet and wont slide around at all.

Plus the dashmat keeps the dashboard from cracking and fading in the sun.

Thanks for the gazillionth time Tx2sturgis. Makes sense! Carpet it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
I'd rather stick a needle in my eye that tow my larger trailer around with me everywhere. It has its uses here on the property but I sure don't want to take it with me. Besides, I couldn't really secure anything.

A small trailer that you cant see in your RV mirrors is practically impossible to back...and you could secure the 4wheeler on that open trailer with a cable or chain and padlock.

You can also have a small cargo box added to it for storing items like chains and straps, tire changing tools, etc.

Tx2sturgis. I just object to the total length I'm going to be. I was pretty much bed-bound for three years and, although I am now coming around and going to physical therapy all the time, I don't want to have to park a gazillion miles from a destination

Yeah that makes sense.

I was just answering the question from a practical point of view, not knowing the other limitations.

I am looking at the shortest possible vehicle for my upcoming purchase, because like you, I dont want to drive something thats 40 feet long including trailer, everywhere.

tx2sturgis said:
I am looking at the shortest possible vehicle for my upcoming purchase, because like you, I dont want to drive something thats 40 feet long including trailer, everywhere.

My little Class C is 22 foot and I sure sweat it out thinking I'll have to tow a trailer.

What did you decide to look for and will u still be towing anyway?

Cammalu said:
What did you decide to look for and will u still be towing anyway?

For me a 22 to 24 will be the max. I will be towing a 6x12 cargo trailer (15ft overall) and with my current van the total length (van and trailer) is already about 33 feet...when I upgrade I dont want to be over about 40 feet.

Thanks Tx2sturgis. 40 feet. That's an awful lot. I keep thinking of pulling up for gas even and having to make that big swing to get out of there. I really want to bring a four wheeler but I don't know how badly at this time. I'm going to have to mull it all over.

tx2sturgis said:
Wow...it must be a classic...they haven't made those in many years....do you know what channels it has in it?

The only number I paid attention to was 19... I think he said 9 and I don't remember the 3rd number, of course!

AbuelaLoca said:
The only number I paid attention to was 19... I think he said 9 and I don't remember the 3rd number, of course!

I'm gonna guess its a Midland or Realistic....there were some others out there back in the mid-70s that had 3 channels.

Usually, but not always, channel 14 was included from the factory and then the owner added one or two pairs of crystals...so it probably has 9, 14, and 19...

The main selling point back then was the lower cost and small size, and of course, simplicity.

If it still works, its a classic and there are some collectors out there on ebay...so you never know...

:)

Haven't mounted mine yet and I'm in a 2007 E-150. My first thought and most likely will be to the RH side of the drivers seat mount. It's metal, easy to use self tapping screws and frankly it doesn't need to be all that visible. I tell you what, after yesterday in 110 degree heat, anything on my dash would have melted. I had the Vent fan on and windows opened a couple inches and it still got up to 117 in the back of the van. Just think what the dash was, and I do have a dashmat on it.

MikeRuth said:
.... after yesterday in 110 degree heat, anything on my dash would have melted. I had the Vent fan on and windows opened a couple inches and it still got up to 117 in the back of the van. Just think what the dash was, and I do have a dashmat on it.

They do get hot up there, but if covered during the heat of day they seem to survive. I did mention a lot of alternatives but ease of installation for her is right up there at the top of the list.

And, I think Cammalou wants it mainly for when it might be needed, and sticking it on the dash allows it to be removed and stored away when not used, or, if parking for long periods in hot temps.

tx2sturgis said:
And, I think Cammalou wants it mainly for when it might be needed, and sticking it on the dash allows it to be removed and stored away when not used, or, if parking for long periods in hot temps.

What he said. [emoji3]

M2 4 after paint.JPG
Window cover helps ................... :cool:

Attachments

• M2 4 after paint.JPG
    M2 4 after paint.JPG
    1.5 MB
High or low temps have never been an issue for my CB.
They are in thousands of big trucks in hot weather, I would think, if it were an issue, those guys would complain. Truckers love to complain.