The lazy man’s cargo trailer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJG1977

Reaction score
I picked up my 6 x 12 cargo trailer yesterday.  It has an empty weight of 1122 lbs. Towed it around town and made several stops.  It tracked well and I really could almost forget it was there.  For the next four years it will be used on four day weekends and vacations.  It will take the place of hotel rooms while visiting relatives.  I’ll start with a cooler, coffee pot and microwave for the kitchen.  A commode chair for the bathroom and a Zero-Gravity-Patio-Chair for my bed and a Patio-Chaise-Lounge  for my wife’s bed.  Sterilite-4-Drawer-Cabinet/8206252  will be used for storage. 

First step is Porch & Floor paint for the floor and ramp, then a couple of RV windows for ventilation and light.  

werX-612-rear.jpg

werX-612-rear-ramp-with-spring-assist-open.jpg

Nice trailer.  Congrats and have many fine times with it.

Did you get the electric brake option?

BradKW said:
It looks very clean...is it brand new?

Yes, it is new. I gave up on finding a used one that was as light as this one.  I also wanted over 6 ft interior height, RV door and 15" tires.  If I use it 40 nights it will pay for itself in hotel savings.  I get over 27 vacation, personal and holiday days off each year so in two years I'll come out ahead.

29chico said:
Nice trailer.  Congrats and have many fine times with it.

Did you get the electric brake option?

No brakes, I'll keep it under 2000 lbs. I'll also be towing east coast mostly Tennessee and North Carolina.  Just put new brakes front and back and new front rotors on the van.  When I get a 3/4 ton van I might add brakes but I am comfortable towing this weight without them.

Ordered the stabilizer jack stands, a foot plate for the tongue jack, a folding step stool for the door and the commode chair, should all arrive tomorrow. 
Picked up the porch and floor paint today.  Want to get two coats on and a couple of days to cure before I start loading.

Attachments

• 20160409_105053-600.jpg
    20160409_105053-600.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 93
The stabilizer jack stands, foot plate for the tongue jack, folding step stool for the door and the commode chair all arrived today.  All four jack stands combined only weigh seven pounds.   Got two coats of paint on the floor and ramp.  It took longer to tape it off than it did to put on the first coat. 

The RV windows are on order and should be here by April 21st. Being lazy I ordered 12" x 24" vertical slider with screen.  That way I will not have to cut any wall studs.  Putting one on each side where our heads will be while in bed.  I'm hoping for some cross ventilation.

I think the next step will be ceiling insulation.  I'm going with 1" blue foam cut to fit between the ceiling joist.  Just going to paint the bottom white.

20160412_162036-600.jpg  20160412_162257-600.jpg

Attachments

• 20160412_162036-600.jpg
    20160412_162036-600.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160412_162257-600.jpg
    20160412_162257-600.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 85
Hello   I'm wondering the manufacturers name...general location...and base price of the trailer....If you mind don't mind telling it?     

Thank You       TJB

This trailer is sold by Home Depot for $3,379.00 .  WERX-1868-lb-Enclosed-Cargo-Trailer  It is actually made by Bravo Trailers in Bristol, IN.  My primary concern is trailer weight and this one only weighs 1,122 pounds. Deck height is also important to me.  Even with 15" wheels the 4" drop axle gives me one step up making it easy for my wife to get in.

Looking good so far. I also went with windows that fit between my studs as mine are only z channel to begin with, so I didn't want to cut them. I'm seriously considering pulling my carpet and painting the floor. It is plush indoor outdoor and feels good on the feet. I have it just laying in there wall to wall with the idea that I can pull it out and clean it. The problem is, I never do as it requires unloading much of the trailer. I clean it well when I get home, but on longer trips it just gets swept and it's hard to keep clean, especially with a Siberian Husky along. It does add some warmth in the Colorado winters, which is why I've kept it so far.

BTW, horse saddle blankets make great throw rugs, can be had in a variety of colors for about $10 on sale, and fit easily in a washer. Their super tough too.

masterplumber said:
Looking good so far. I also went with windows that fit between my studs as mine are only z channel to begin with, so I didn't want to cut them. I'm seriously considering pulling my carpet and painting the floor. It is plush indoor outdoor and feels good on the feet. I have it just laying in there wall to wall with the idea that I can pull it out and clean it. The problem is, I never do as it requires unloading much of the trailer. I clean it well when I get home, but on longer trips it just gets swept and it's hard to keep clean, especially with a Siberian Husky along. It does add some warmth in the Colorado winters, which is why I've kept it so far.

BTW, horse saddle blankets make great throw rugs, can be had in a variety of colors for about $10 on sale, and fit easily in a washer. Their super tough too.

Going to pick up several bath room rugs.  Easy to shake out and can be washed.  One placed between the beds and a couple in the open area.  

This trailer uses 1" squire steel tubing throughout.

Attachments

• 31vbkkuNe6L._SX425_.jpg
    31vbkkuNe6L._SX425_.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 316CD4GwecL._SY450_.jpg
    316CD4GwecL._SY450_.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 27
Picked up my new to me tow vehicle last Saturday, a 2012 Chevy Express 2500 cargo van.  Registered the trailer, got Semi tags.  In Tennessee there are plates that you have to renew each year or you can get semi tags that are permanent.

SEMI TAG.jpg

Got back to work on the trailer today.  Picked up the microwave, air conditioner, 4-drawer Cabinets and TV antenna.   

FRONT WALL 1.jpg

Installed the Electric Cable Hatch.  Cutting that first hole was a little nerve racking.  Drilled a 1/4" pilot hole then used a 3" hole saw.  covered the flange with butyl tape.  Need to get a tube of Acrylic Latex Caulk with Silicone to run a bead around it.

POWER CORD HATCH 1.jpg POWER CORD HATCH 2.jpg POWER CORD HATCH 4.jpg

The next big steps are: install the windows, install the AC and build a counter along the front wall.

Attachments

• FRONT WALL 1.jpg
    FRONT WALL 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 58
  • POWER CORD HATCH 1.jpg
    POWER CORD HATCH 1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 29
  • POWER CORD HATCH 2.jpg
    POWER CORD HATCH 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
  • POWER CORD HATCH 4.jpg
    POWER CORD HATCH 4.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 25
  • SEMI TAG.jpg
    SEMI TAG.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 40
VJG1977 said:
Yes, it is new. I gave up on finding a used one that was as light as this one.  I also wanted over 6 ft interior height, RV door and 15" tires.  If I use it 40 nights it will pay for itself in hotel savings.  I get over 27 vacation, personal and holiday days off each year so in two years I'll come out ahead.

The first picture shows a cargo door, not a RV door. Stock picture?

I was going to ask what you were going to do about the cargo door.

-Wayne

wayne49 said:
The first picture shows a cargo door, not a RV door. Stock picture?

I was going to ask what you were going to do about the cargo door.

-Wayne

Yes, that is a photo from the manufacturer's web site.  Maybe I should have just said side door.  I will add a trailer door padlock hasp latch to the trailer wall next to the door to secure the bar latch in an open position so that I can not be locked in.  

trailer door padlock hasp latch.jpg

Will also install a level latch with dead bolt,  much easier to install than a RV door latch and I think more attractive. Castellan Surface Latch in Satin Nickel

storm door latch with dead bolt 2.jpg

I'll secure the door with the original bar latch while traveling or away from the trailer.  Then lock it open when I arrive at my camp site.

Attachments

• trailer door padlock hasp latch.jpg
    trailer door padlock hasp latch.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 21
  • storm door latch with dead bolt 2.jpg
    storm door latch with dead bolt 2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 21
I do the same thing on my trailer, except I installed an RV latch. It has worked well for a couple years now. You're correct in that the RV latch was a little more difficult to install, and the cutting had to be precise. But once it's done it's done. The trailer is coming along nicely. Congratulations on the new tow vehicle.

masterplumber said:
This is one of the best tips I've heard in a while! :) 
What are saddle blankets generally made from?

VJG1977, I'm definitely going to follow your build. I have a Pace American 10 ft enclosed v nose trailer that I have considered turning into a bug out trailer, and I already got my first good tip from masterplumber. Your idea about the extension cord pass through has merit as well.

I honestly don't know what the saddle blankets are made of, not sure mine have any tags on them but I'll check. They appear to be cotton though, so I always wash on cold and hang to dry.