The Girl's Room?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For women: Vote for a title to the sub-forum currently the "Girls' Room" --

• Women's Forum

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Women's Room

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Women's Issues

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Remain as Girl's Room

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • It doesn't matter to me

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Ladies Room

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AD64

Reaction score
So just because I don't think of any of you, or myself, as a girl any longer ... I want to start a conversation about changing the title of the women's forum to something more true to who we are. 

I don't know if there has been any conversation about a name change in the past, nor do I know if it is possible. So, I thought to ask all of you. 

I could even start a poll, I think; just need to figure out the logistics.

Could we call this "The Women's Forum" instead? 

Thank you,

AD the new rabble rouser

I would much prefer The Women's Room, as I've not been a girl in a very long time.  I have strong feelings about this, but Mayim Bialik addresses why language matters far more articulately than I ever could.

I have strong feelings too, Queen. Yet am feeling into how conversation and hearing many sides of a story, many points of view helps me learn and appreciate our diversity, in it's unfolding.

Will look at the video now. Thanks for sharing it.

We'll keep this thread going for about a day. If there's not any opposition or need for discussion regarding the change from "Girls" to "Women" by the women here on the forum, the change will be made. Thanks

That video says it all, in less than five minutes ....

I completely agree.

One thing that I find helpful is to think of myself as I want to be, what I want to become and not let my fears hold me back, make me small. To think of myself, and all of you as women, is to regard each of you with respect, kindness, and speaks to who we actually are as women on the road.

Thank you for listening.

AD

My vote is for Ladies Room, as in ladies and gentlemen.  I like to think most of us fall into either category.

VanDwellerMod said:
We'll keep this thread going for about a day.  If there's not any opposition or need for discussion regarding the change from "Girls" to "Women" by the women here on the forum, the change will be made.  Thanks

Hi Mod. Thanks for this. 

One request regarding the timing though; since it is a long holiday weekend and many of us will be out on the road and perhaps in remote places without access to the forums, could we keep the thread going through the weekend so more women have a chance to weigh in?

I vote for Women's Room or maybe Women's Issues - that will have the guys running the other way instead of arguing about why they aren't allowed to post in this forum. :-D

I like Woman's Room but I really don't care if it stays the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong support for the Women's Room from me too. I've toyed with the idea of making the request myself, so thanks!

tonyandkaren said:
I vote for Women's Room or maybe Women's Issues - that will have the guys running the other way instead of arguing about why they aren't allowed to post in this forum. :-D

If you *really* want to discourage them, make it "Womyn's" ;)

I added a poll to AD's original post that lists the suggestions made so far. It will will remain active until Tuesday. Thanks

Thanks for the poll and the Admin support.

I voted to stay the same. In reading the definitions, I came across exactly what I was looking for, my way of thinking, per dictionary.com, "Some adult women are offended if referred to as a girl, or informally as a gal. However, a group of adult female friends often refer to themselves as the girls and the "girls' night out" implies the company of adult females."

Maybe the word "women" just has too much baggage to suit me. Women are.............. and women are..........., all too often a negative attached to that. To me, "girls" leaves all the women baggage behind. Yeah, I worked in my life almost exclusively with males, had a brother, husband, 2 sons and women.............. I don't get hung up on labels. Call me what you must, I can handle it!

First of all, I think the subject is petty and there are more important things in this world to concern yourself with.  Second, I added an option to amuse myself, but it wasn't even added in consideration o your "poll".  Why not?  Count me out of this entire thread, sorry I bit the bait.  Does it REALLY MATTER?

I'm in favor of women's forum or women's room but not lady's room as that is a term often used for a bathroom. I think Woman to Woman would be a great title or Wandering Women.

XFILE36 said:
First of all, I think the subject is petty and there are more important things in this world to concern yourself with.  Second, I added an option to amuse myself, but it wasn't even added in consideration o your "poll".  Why not?  Count me out of this entire thread, sorry I bit the bait.  Does it REALLY MATTER?

I wish your suggestion had been added to the poll. Mod, can you add this option too? 

Thanks,

AD

To be honest, I'm not keen on having a separate area. As I said, I have worked almost exclusively with men. Pretty much discussed "everything" with them I would discuss with "women" and they did the same, it was, I believe a very mentally and emotionally healthy exchange, and we all "grew" that way. I have this "thing" about segregation of any kind, it is a major issue with me. Generally don't come in, same with another website where I frequent that has some kind of female more or less exclusive area, I think they talk about recipes or something????? I see myself as "generic" which has always allowed me to do well in most groups of whatever someone labeled them. Probably another issue for me is "labels", I don't relate to "labels" others put on me or others.