The Fat Van rides again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup , turn the big red knob till you can push down the little red knob.

That opens the gas to the pilot light. Use a BBQ lighter to touch that off and keep holding the small red knob for a while till the pilot stays on when you release the small red knob. (you may need to relight the pilot)

At that point turn the big red knob to the on position , you'll hear and see the main burner ignite .It will burn until the set temp is reached.(the little knob on the front adjusts the set temp).

I usually turn off the main burner after the shower and reheat cycle is done. The pilot alone keeps the water hot for washing hands etc. It will even get it up to shower temp in a day or so. (Saves a LOT of propane and kills the "Jet Engine" at night so you ,and your neighbors sleep better !)

If the pilot won't stay lit no matter how long you wait , the thermocouple needs replacing.......

One other thing...
The thermocouple needs to be in the pilot flame...... ;)

no where on the instructions does it say"bring your own flame"just says hold down the little red button till pilot is lit
which begs the question,what were they using in 1977? zippo?
so i guess i cant test till i have propane,oh well

a couple days from taking out giant windows,i want to tint them and after 2 days of research i know what i want,if i can afford it
huper optik ceramic 30% or so,it's the best for uv and infrared blocking but it turns out they only sell to select shop,no retail, so if anyone know a pro tinter that can get it lmk

an awesome score today thanks to Doug-abnorm

MJnpxcs.jpg

not sure exactly how i will incorporate them but they will add some cool character

it's giant,it's huge,it's impractically big
i'm looking at ceramic film and thinking of plywooding over half,i don't know,it's enormous

I'd make a cover for part of it with polyiso and luan.
That way , if you go anyplace with a great view (why go anywhere else?)
you can take it down and get you some panOrama!!

touch n seal 110bf 2 parts closed cell spray foam

before
WXlUlNM.jpg

fAZJabs.jpg

ARHHiTf.jpg

just after
D56GV4N.jpg

3kmy9WO.jpg

after some putty knife and fine tooth wood saw
8ywrHbL.jpg

gjaOzhp.jpg

worked out great and stiffened the walls up too
dont get to fancy,see the last pic upper right,i tried to do around the wire harness and it expanded,now i have to go in and cut some out

got myself dressed up like a mummy,drench in sweat,didnt get a drop of overspray on me

of course they screwed me with the windows,so they had 5/8" plywood and the 1/8" paneling so when i replaced the rot i used 3/4" wood and was going to place 1/8 material on the rest of the plywood to get back to specs but it turns out they were 1/8 short and made it up with 2 layers of 1/8" thick butyl tape
so i ended up using 1/4" plywood(the old water tank cover)on the existing plywood and 1/8" on the wood to get to about 1/16" larger then the window frame

anyway widows in good butyl squish all around

zL95wBN.jpg

bonus feature of giant windows,screens slide open
WbhdrOA.jpg

the butyl tape to buy
http://shop.marinehowto.com/products/bed-it-tape

shade tree hack tip-by the time i got to cutting off the extra butyl it had been in direct sun and was the consistency of bubblegum so i hit it with the water hose and it turned back rubbery and was much easier to peel off and work with
keep the butyl coolish

bonus pic

patiently waiting

IHm5d3V.jpg

the one next to it is a little different ,bloomed earlier and has been devoured

am i going to seal the plywood floor with something or not? thoughts?

^^^ That depends on what flooring you're planning on putting down over top of it.

If you're putting wood laminate or carpet down, I'd seal it.

If you're putting vinyl or vinyl laminate down, wouldn't worry about it.

Or you can seal it well, paint it with outdoor deck paint, put throw rugs down and call it good. You could even get decorative with the floor paint if you wanted to.

It's a high traffic area HDR - if you're going to paint it with anything you want something that is going to stand up to the wear and tear of being walked on, things dropped on it, water/coffee etc spilled on it.

Regular inside house paint ain't gonna cut it. Deck Paint is meant to take a beating!

Latest posts