The Cube, U-Haul to RV camper conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baloo said:
Looks great!
Thanks, It's a slow process but well worth the effort.

WriterMs said:
Wow. A step right up and come on in door. Terrific job.
Thank you!
I do need to address that first step though. It's 18" up to the bumper.

B and C said:
Congrats on a job well done.  Now for that pesky screen door.
The main reason I wanted this type of door is the screen door. I know it won't be used for any stealth parking but otherwise will keep the larger flying critters at bay.

highdesertranger said:
nice job,  a proper RV door too.  I was afraid you were going house door in.  RV door that's the way to go,  with the radius corners,  much stronger and  you won't get stress cracks at the 90 degree corners.  highdesertranger
Thanks HDS, I debated over a wooden split "barn door" vs "RV door". I liked the idea of just opening the top half of a barn door for fresh air and leaving the bottom closed for a bit more privacy. The screen was the issue. I couldn't figure out how to build/install a DIY screen section that would be sealed and quiet when traveling and easy opening as a complete door when parked.

As usual, I over-thought the whole thing until I gave up and just cut an installed the RV door I bought back in May. This whole retirement thing plays hell with me. Way too much time to think before I do.

I like your RV door!

I'm doing a build on a cube van as well, and so far haven't been able to locate a decent sized, decent priced RV door.
Up here they want around $800 for a new small RV door, and $4-500 for a used one.
I'll probably have to put a house door on mine for this winter.

ahh_me2 said:
I like your RV door!

I'm doing a build on a cube van as well, and so far haven't been able to locate a decent sized, decent priced RV door.
Up here they want around $800 for a new small RV door, and $4-500 for a used one.

Ahh me - I found some on local Kijiji for $100. but that won't do you much good, you're out west somewhere IIRC.

Have you tried regular auto wrecking yards - most of them have a couple of RV's out there in the yard because there is no special RV yards. They have no idea what the parts are worth so you can usually get them cheap because they have no known market for them.

Almost There said:
Ahh me - I found some on local Kijiji for $100. but that won't do you much good, you're out west somewhere IIRC.

Have you tried regular auto wrecking yards - most of them have a couple of RV's out there in the yard because there is no special RV yards. They have no idea what the parts are worth so you can usually get them cheap because they have no known market for them.

AT, I've been watching kijiji on a daily basis for doors and other stuff, and our local junkyards are kind of greedy!
But I haven't given up hope yet, still have a few weeks before I have to commit to a door!
Yeah, I'm in Alberta

Thanks!

ahh_me2 said:
I like your RV door!

I spent time looking for a used one but nothing was available close to me. I got lucky the day I stopped by a local dealer looking to buy some Geocel roof sealer. They had this right hand hinged door that was ordered for a customer. ( I really wanted a left hinge) For whatever reason he decided not to take it so there it sat. I made an offer and we haggled a bit but I bought it for $225.
A house door would work and you could probably get one that has some insulation, but keeping it sealed up might be an issue. That was my thought and why I ended up installing this one.

Worth looking into though.

I have posted this on here several times. we might want this as a sticky. it's a list of RV junk yards through out the country. here's a link when I posted it with it's own thread. https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-used-rv-parts?highlight=used+rv+parts . you do know you can haggle the price at most junk yards, I do it all the time. have you checked Craig's List. find an RV that's being parted out or find an old junker pull of what you want and sell it to a junk yard. just throwing out some ideas. imho you want to stay away from house doors and windows. highdesertranger

Nice Job! I kind of wish I had a regular RV door on my trailer, just so I can have a regular screen door. with my standard cargo trailer door and hinges I can't figure an elegant way to make it work.

Matlock said:
I spent time looking for a used one but nothing was available close to me. I got lucky the day I stopped by a local dealer looking to buy some Geocel roof sealer. They had this right hand hinged door that was ordered for a customer. ( I really wanted a left hinge) For whatever reason he decided not to take it so there it sat. I made an offer and we haggled a bit but I bought it for $225.  
A house door would work and you could probably get one that has some insulation, but keeping it sealed up might be an issue.  That was my thought and why I ended up installing this one.

Worth looking into though.

Great job Matlock! Too bad you had to cut that 5" off your door, seems like a pain. How did you weatherproof that FRP? The only ones I've seen are rated for interior use only. Also, how does the door between the cab and box work? I've thought about buying a used U-haul and cutting an access door, but am concerned about the articulation between the cab and box. Are they already attached on these moving vans and so cutting a doorway doesn't affect anything?

Mango said:
Great job Matlock! Too bad you had to cut that 5" off your door, seems like a pain. How did you weatherproof that FRP? The only ones I've seen are rated for interior use only. Also, how does the door between the cab and box work? I've thought about buying a used U-haul and cutting an access door, but am concerned about the articulation between the cab and box. Are they already attached on these moving vans and so cutting a doorway doesn't affect anything?

Thanks Mango,
It wasn't so much a pain cutting the door as it was the frame. Just took some time and patience.
Once glued I sealed the edge of the FRP and the marine plywood it's stuck to with clear Geocel. I'll paint the entire surface with exterior epoxy paint this spring. The FRP would eventually yellow and become brittle with UV and temperature change. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it holds up.
My cab access door cut-out is about 50" X 20". There is no articulation, the cab and cube move as one piece. Whoever builds these for the rental companies has a good process going. I might be concerned if I removed a larger section to make a bigger door but that wasn't necessary for my needs.

Thanks, that's good to know cutting the pass through has no adverse affects. It opens up a whole lot more buying options if the door doesn't need to be there already. I'm looking at smaller box trucks, like 10-12', for moving/travelling cross-country and a lot of them have no pass through.

Matlock said:
I'm pleased with how it came out.
The door shuts tight and was easier to do than I thought.

I don't have the screen door installed in this photo but its held on with 9 screws.

I thought about a door similar to yours for my Grumman Olson step van as it has a roll up door in the back.  I decided not to use it for security reasons.

Break the glass, reach in, unlock door.   Had that happen to a 5th wheel of mine, so yes, I'm paranoid.

Remove trim strip, remove phillips head screws with a battery powered drill, and the whole door comes off.

RVs are designed for comfort and convenience, not security.

The roll up door may rattle, but it is more secure.

66788 said:
The roll up door may rattle, but it is more secure.

If I wanted inside a vehicle I'd break a window, unlock the door and open it.
Every vehicle has it's vulnerabilities as do the areas you choose to park in.

Matlock said:
If I wanted inside a vehicle I'd break a window, unlock the door and open it.
Every vehicle has it's vulnerabilities as do the areas you choose to park in.

That is what full coverage insurance is for!

I love reading threads like this one. Thank you for journaling your U-haul conversion process. I envy people who know how to do this sort of stuff.

I wanted to add a few after the fact photo's of the rollup door removal and it's replacement. Started with this;
1 Rollup.jpg
Wanted something like this after I removed the door;
2 Rollup idea.jpg
Built this sandwich from plywood and FRP to cover the opening.
3.5 FRP sandwich.jpg
Here's the finished product. Includes a Fantastic Fan and a bolted down $15 Igloo cooler with a hinged lid for things that have odors... :rolleyes:
3 Added Fan and storage box.jpg

Attachments

• 1 Rollup.jpg
    1 Rollup.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2 Rollup idea.jpg
    2 Rollup idea.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.5 FRP sandwich.jpg
    3.5 FRP sandwich.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 26
  • 3 Added Fan and storage box.jpg
    3 Added Fan and storage box.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 61
Matlock: great design and nicely done! I have enjoyed the pictures of your build.

Ballenxj said:
That door remodel is a nice improvement. :)
Thanks, and the best part is I've got a screen door now.

speedhighway46 said:
Matlock: great design and nicely done! I have enjoyed the pictures of your build.

Thank you for the compliment. Some things do look better from a distance though.

Some after the fact updates.

Once I determined which battery type I wanted to use I could build a box that they would fit in.
I bought two 6V GC2 Energizer batteries, 225Amp-Hour at the 20 hour rate at Sam's Club.  Manufactured by Johnson Controls in Mexico. So they say.
I wired them in series for 12V - 225AH.
I opted for the cheap battery as I have no faith in me not destroying them in short order. I will try and use less than 25% of that available AH per day and use the PD 9245 charger from available shore power as well as solar and The Kid MPPT off line. If I monitor the Trimetric I may be fine for a couple years with these batteries, maybe. See voltage charge chart
Volt Charge Chart.gif

Attachments

• Volt Charge Chart.gif
    Volt Charge Chart.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 14