The Colorado mid/late summer RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I won't be able to attend the late spring RTR in Flagstaff and have suggested a regional RTR here in Colorado. Later in the season is more comfortable where I camp in the Pike NF anyways.

The area I have in mind is the Rock Creek road area in the South park rangers district. It has some larger clearings, some shaded, some open for solar. It's not hard to get to with access from Denver, Colorado Springs and whatever 285 connects to south of the area. Food, gas and beer is close by but bring your water and take your trash with you.

This is of course just a suggestion. Other members that are here may have better places in mind and we have plenty of time to work it out.

So who may be interested? What dates will be best for you? What area?

Once we start getting things firmed up I will start gathering info, maps and what not. Any help would be appreciated.

jimindenver said:
Food, gas and beer is close

This was my first question (is there good beer there). Higher hopes for Colorado than Arizona!

I will be in the Woodland Park/Pike NF area in beginning to mid July. My only deadline is I have to be in SD sometime in August to register vehicles, mail forwarding, DL etc. I will be meandering after that, so I'm flexible.

I'm going to throw out the idea of having the mid/late summer RTR in the Gunnison area.  Gunnison Co is at 7700 feet and is super nice in the first half of August.  Loads of dispersed camping.

Crested Butte is just up the road for those who really need to get their high country fix.  Like myself.  The Monarch Pass is nearby and offers huge views along the Monarch Crest trail.

Yes, I  am a mountain biker, and Crested Butte is a world wide destination for high country MTB single track junkies.  Hartman Rocks, near Gunnison, has great MTB riding as well.  A bit more tame than the gnar that draws those so inclined from around the world to CB.

There is lots of motorized exploring to be had in the area and now the FS has specific maps for that purpose.

I'm up for anything as long as we can get the rig there. Some of our more remote spots take 4x4 low now so I'm not too worried.

Gunnison/CB is just a bit farther down 285 for me. I've been wanting to push down that way anyways. 7700 feet is certainly easier on those not accustom to high altitude. last year I felt the effects for the first time in 31 years of living here, it's not pleasant. That's funny considering I already live at what most would consider high altitude, a mile high.

Bob mentioned Leadville so if I can get you both to let me know the general area, I can start doing some leg work. I'll be able to drive the areas when we start camping here soon to get a good idea of clearings, conditions and what's to be had near by. I'll post what I can about those and any suggested areas.

Having never been to a RTR, I have no idea of what to do or expect. I am sure we will figure it out as things take shape.

Things needed.  Parking (camping) area.  Possible spot for a fire.  Room to set up chairs and gab. Access for any kind of vehicle.

I think that about covers it.  :D

Let me know.  I would like to run away again. :cool:

I will be living in gunnison national forest from May-October so I can scope out a bunch of spots to see if any are good enough for a meeting spot.

What would be all the requirements it has to meet?

If things go according to plan for me, I'll be out in Denver with my van in July, and would probably come :)

If it winds up in the gunni area or on the western slope(between 50 and 141 on the plateau but that's more remote) I can probably make it for at least a quick stop to meet some of you, as long as it's not during August. I've never done research on dispersed camping there but around Taylor Park is pretty cool.

I'll be watching this thread

For me late July through August would work the best.Be aware that Colorado Archery Season starts August 27th and Gunnison National Forest is a prime archery area. I can do some weekend sorties to scope out places once we have a short list. I can get there cheap and quick on my KLR. I like all the suggestions so far. I didn't think too much about altitude as I live here and it doesn't start to affect me unless I'm hiking above 11,000 feet anymore, but I remember what it was like when I first moved here 25 years ago and we should definitely consider it for those coming form elsewhere. I also have Verizon so I can check that out also.

Another good area might be south of Poncha Pass on 285, before Villa Grove. Lots of wide open areas near the highway so larger rigs can make it. Close to Salida and not to far from Buena Vista, Mount Princeton Hot Springs, Monarch Pass, Sand Dunes National Park, etc. A lot of the best that Colorado has to offer. Oh yeah, and the alligator farm in Hopper!

akrvbob said:
Verizon internet is critical for me. I can't come without it.
Bob

I'll be able to report on all four services in the ares we check, both with and without the Sleek.

By the time we all get done checking out areas we will have compiled a good sized boondockers special report and we have only been talking a small area of whats available. Northern Colorado has its secrets too.

I'm interested. If I can get away from work.... I'm just getting started , so I would love to meet some of the people I correspond with. I'm up for wherever

Pat

highdesertranger said:
Bob don't they have a pill for that nowadays?  lol  highdesertranger

Ok, HDR, I truly did sit here and laugh out loud at that, though I had to read all of Bob's comments twice to get it.

I see that my first post had been moved so just wanting to post in this thread that I will come. Most dates are open fo me now.

Sue

I am facing a bit of uncertainty and may need more help with the RTR.

Last week my legs went numb and yesterday they added paralysis to the growing list of crap I have to deal with. I'll know more after a MRI but right now I am restricted to 10 pounds and they don't want me to work. I know there is some real downtime coming, I just don't know when. I'll let everyone know when I do.

Jim, I know I'll be among dozens here who are sending you positive, healing thoughts at this odd turn of events. Concentrate on getting well and don't give a thought to organizing stuff until you are feeling good again.

Latest posts