The Bob Wells i like

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary68

Reaction score
[video=youtube]

different era-in jr/high school my #1 pick for the basketball team was a girl,she was a ringer,if you had her on your team you won

rtr,2000+ total miles $1000 in fuel,i have about 5 minutes of socializing in me

rtr with preplanned organized stations,an electrical station,interior station,mechanical station to help those in need and i can show up and change water pumps and shocks for a few days without some youtuber buzzing around then...

but this video is why i am on Bob Wells forum,well done sir

Gary68 said:
[video=youtube]

rtr,2000+ total miles $1000 in fuel,i have about 5 minutes of socializing in me

rtr with preplanned organized stations,an electrical station,interior station,mechanical station to help

Gary68,

Thanks for posting the video.  I too am introverted, so much that I dropped offline for 8 plus months just to get out of the habit of replying to posts.  I don't have the desire to do what Bob does with his forums and videos and messages etc. but am thankful he and some others are doing it. I've noticed that HDR, Got Smart, Mr Noodly, Cindy, Chico, Sternwake and several other regular contributors go out of their way to be helpful (all I can remember now, don't get offended if left off).  

Nor would I attend an RTR, just too many people too close together.

Anyway, I concur that to benefit people at the RTR it would be good to identify sections where help could be given in different areas.  The difficulty is materials, I've never visited Quartsite but doubt there's a box store very close.

So thumbs up to Bob for being willing to help. :angel:   As far as women needing more assistance I think they have better connections and more social ties than men do.  95% (unscientific) of the wanderers with backpacks/on the street corner with signs that I see are male.  I see maybe 2 females a month here in Phoenix looking homeless vs maybe 50+ men.  Guys are more antisocial or willing to say "screw it and everybody" than women.

I will likely continue to lurk and not reply much in the future, yet do appreciate Bob's videos, to include the "I can't handle the music" one.  Vandwellers seem to be a bit closer to the anarchist side of the spectrum than other groups, so to try and enforce rules at an RTR sounds like a tough job.  :huh: While many vd'ers may be great at rule following and preferring order, its got to attract more than the average of the others.

Nothings against those who are faithful attendees. Glad you like it, to each his/her own...

Dang but wasn't that rain loud in his video?   :-/

Dusty

I think Bob has done a remarkable service for many people which is no accident.  It's just what he intended to do.
He got a bit crabby over the music and was a good sport and got over it and said so.  He then moved to a quieter area at day's end.   A for real grown up.
Here's to you Bob :)

That's a good reason and my hat's off to you, Bob. I'm not a crowd fan either.

Laudable motivations and a good video mostly, but kinda devolved into something strange as the clock ticked on...

I believe Bob when he says compassion motivated him, however now that it has this much momentum, I think if Bob decided it was too much or he died tomorrow the RTR would still happen next year with or without him, by watching some of those videos there appears to be some people already putting their hands up to take it over.

I once tried to drum up some support for Bob and the website in the form of donations, and when it gained some momentum, Bob stepped in and categorically refused, saying he would refund any money sent to him. So I can't question that Bob's motivation is to help people and I tell the same to anyone who does.

But it seems to me that while advertising the RTR on YouTube etc, the majority of people in attendance are not currently in these desperate circumstances, but rather people who are involved with the lifestyle and want to be part of the event. Maybe next year have one side of camp for people who want to celebrate the lifestyle, and another side of camp for people who want to learn and keep to themselves? I'm not sure that's the solution, just pointing out the different demographics.

Bob is truly generous and kind. I have known many people that give millions away a year, yet it will never impact them in a negative way. Bob helps many while being outside his comfort zone, it does impact him, it is a sacrifice. Me personally, without him, his site and those that participate, I would still be in a abusive situation in more ways than one. I owe him and all of you a great deal for showing me a way out was possible and supporting me. Someday I hope to find a way to help others enough to express my gratitude.

jimindenver said:
Bob is truly generous and kind. I have known many people that give millions away a year, yet it will never impact them in a negative way. Bob helps many while being outside his comfort zone, it does impact him, it is a sacrifice. Me personally, without him, his site and those that participate, I would still be in a abusive situation in more ways than one. I owe him and all of you a great deal for showing me a way out was possible and supporting me. Someday I hope to find a way to help others enough to express my gratitude.

What Jim said...I doubt I would be here either.  I've found where I belong. Thanks, Bob.

I watched this video last night and became quite emotional.   Ironically,  just yesterday I got the dreaded letter from my landlord raising ny rent $225 per month. I would have been in a tailspin of pure panic if not for Bob and the support I have had here.  I have spent the last year reading and planning and learning how to survive houseless and while doing all this I found myself to be quite excited about this adventure. And I feel like am making a choice and not falling victim to a greedy landlord in a local housing crisis...pretty empowering.

Now I am not saying it isn't a little scary but I know I will not only make it but I will feel like one of the lucky ones. Hell...I already feel lucky.

I hope to be able to thank Bob one day and many of you if I am able to meet you face to face but for now hope this little ol post helps me to do that.

Looks like I will be launching a little sooner than expected.   :heart: