The biggest problem with heating a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyl4rk

Reaction score
(This applies to non-forced air heating systems)

The biggest problem with heating a van is air stratification, where air is chilled by the windows or body of the van and it sinks to the floor area.  I have lived in a van and a sailboat with a variety of heating systems, and there is always a pool of cold air from about the knees down.  I tried mounting the heater close to the floor with some success but still, the floor area is cold.  Even a forced air heater has a cold floor problem soon after the fan stops.  My most successful solution is to wear insulated boot liners.

One way to increase comfort might be to mix the air.  Install a dryer duct tube with one end up high above the heat source, and the other end pointing at your feet on the floor.  Use a small pc cooling fan and run the fan when you are heating the van.  I suspect that very little air fow would be needed to mix the hot and cold air to improve feet comfort.  This type of duct could be built into cabinetry, which would look better than dryer duct.

or just run a roof vent fan on low speed (vent closed), just like a ceiling fan at home

Great idea... I simply freeze inside if the temp is below 74. (old guy)

mayble said:
or just run a roof vent fan on low speed (vent closed), just like a ceiling fan at home

I don't know about others, but my model of Fan-Tastic vent won't turn on unless the lid is open. You'd have to cut the tab off the lid that activates a cutoff switch.

MrNoodly said:
I don't know about others, but my model of Fan-Tastic vent won't turn on unless the lid is open. You'd have to cut the tab off the lid that activates a cutoff switch.

another advantage of maxxair i guess - it runs in either direction with the lid closed.  i didn't realize the others wouldn't do that.
can you open the lid but block the opening and still run the fan?

In chilly conditions, wind makes things feel colder. A small fan moving air from the warm rooftop to the feet area would be best. Just enough air movement to break up the pool of cold air around the feet.

If it's really cold I will heat up some water, put it in a plastic bottle and keep it by my feet. It helps a lot.

I know someone who used the PC muffin fan and ducting approach on his small boat. He claims it works well. I used a Caframo 12v fan mounted near the ceilng on mine. Pointed towards the cabin sole, it did a fine job of mixing the air.

What about using hydronic heat in the floors? Then you are heating without drafts, and possibly using the heating loop to store potable water as well :)

You still get stratification but not as bad, at least your feet aren't cold.

Very expensive and complex.

Lose usable van height. Heavy.

Otherwise great.

But no, plain water will quickly start corroding, and I sure wouldn't drink it.

Plus need a heated garage when not in use, or drain it every time.

I was thinking of doing a hydronic system using pex in the floor, then use some type of very small propane water heater. I also have given some thought to, provided the vehicle is well insulated, using some kind of cross-flow heat exchanger system to provide clean fresh preheated air.

The thing I keep thinking about is that the volume of air in a vehicle/van/trailer is fairly small, consequently the small things that I can do to preserve and store that heat in mediums other than air which will radiate heat would be a good choice. So if my floor is warm, that will make my feet warm, which will make me feel warmer. If I use a heating pad on the bed and trap that heat with my comforter while I sleep, I'll stay warmer. If I change out the air inside and extract the heat from it as I pre-warm the incoming cold air, again warmer. I have to heat less air.

Of course I have also thought of just going with some kind of tiny woodstove, lol. Sometimes simple is a good choice as well :)

Another bigly problem with heating a van is the windows. Fortunately, I've just got the front 3. At first, I was a little disappointed, but now am very glad I don't have any more: for heat, cold, & privacy.

One thing I need to check out is tractor tailer drivers use heavy multiple layered sound proof window covers. That seems perfect to sleep well, and why truck drivers innovated them. I think you just find out some good sound proof ones to start with (which is hard to do) and then add your own layers of materials you think that would help you best. They are bulky, but who cares? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

breeze said:
One thing I need to check out is tractor tailer drivers use heavy multiple layered sound proof window covers. That seems perfect to sleep well, and why truck drivers innovated them. I think you just find out some good sound proof ones to start with (which is hard to do) and then add your own layers of materials you think that would help you best. They are bulky, but who cares? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Does anyone have a link for such covers?  
I am preparing for my van conversion and appreciate this thread, as it seems it will be important to provide a place for my elderly dog to rest that is not right on the floor.
If I am just sitting working at my computer or reading, I could put my feet on a piece of Reflectix, put a hot water bottle on the floor, and then drape a blanket over my lap.  That and a small fan somewhere should do the trick even on a cold day.  I appreciate feedback.

suzanne said:
Does anyone have a link for such covers?  
I am preparing for my van conversion and appreciate this thread, as it seems it will be important to provide a place for my elderly dog to rest that is not right on the floor.
If I am just sitting working at my computer or reading, I could put my feet on a piece of Reflectix, put a hot water bottle on the floor, and then drape a blanket over my lap.  That and a small fan somewhere should do the trick even on a cold day.  I appreciate feedback.

http://www.cleanandcool.com/products

Here is one, but no Nissan NV's  :(

http://www.quietride.com/acoustishield.html

above is an interesting composite, although not necessarily for windows,

insulated material

custom window cover

That's a good start anyway, and I'll page mark this post as well for a grouping of possible sites.
It's on my short list!