The As Of Yet Unnamed bus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wires to tail lights are run through 1 inch conduit and rebuilt with adhesive lined heat shrink butt crimps. Since I don't plan to do custom work on wire thicker than 8 awg I bought a good quality crimp set with interchangable heads. The heat shrink/adhesive was set with a butane torch multi tool with a heat shrink shield.
Now that she's running again and the lights all work again I've dropped her off for some TLC at the local diesel shop. She's getting the coolant flush done right with pressure and refill with Catapiller EC-1 Fleet Coolant. 26 quart coolant system means four gallons at $28 a gallon. The thermostat will also be replaced. While he's under the hood he's going to install a set of gauges for coolant temp, oil temp, and volts.
Once she's home I'll drain and replace the transmission fluid and filter. I may see about installing a transmission temp gauge at that point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Help with installing the ceiling is lined up for next week. The internal wiring is going up for lights and outlets as well. The conduit also has co-ax for the external HD-TV antenna.
I have some help starting tomorrow for making screens and curtains.
The final purge of stuff is underway and I am aboit to reenter the hell of selling on Craigslist. My realtor says she can get rid of anything I don't sell, donate, or manage to get to the dump.
Today and tomorrow most lilely will be spent on administrivia, cleaning and a near final sift and purge.
The last bits and pieces are being ordered for the electrical and and other systems. She won't be "done" when I leave and that is just reality. There will be lots of details.to work out but that's OK.
That's all for now. More later once I get more done.

During biopsy it quickly became clear that brake lines and shocks must be replaced. Even if I were capable of doing these repairs, which I doubt I would not be able to do it alone or quickly. The rear brakes have been replaced and the brake lines all look good and the brakes seem OK.

General concensus is that the A/C coolant lines were plumbed by Ford, capped and never used. We should be able to just cut/cap these lines anywhere up to where they enter the rest of the housings. From there we preesurize and hope.

After some bitter negotiatioms we have another contract, due dilligance has ended and closing is on Sept 20. Decisions must be made about residency.

While the rig has been at the shop I have been busy on curtains and screens.

There ain't no bugs on me!

Thats double layers of no-see'um screen with 1" bias tape, double stitched, and form fittted to my drivers side window with a cutout for the mirror. It simply slides over the top of the window like a pillow case.

7 1/2 ofnthe curtain panels are cut and pinned. Now that the drivers screen is done I will change the spool and bobbin and get the curtains sewn in the morning.

Still so much to do!

MUST.GET.PASSPORT.
55626a2ea5f397b2c1ae26e9a086c2cf.jpg
09732c816f40cdfc645adb2984ffea84.jpg
2df6a842eda57a337d715223ff5921f6.jpg
3c3c744bd1c420e35dda5ad86a97c04b.jpg

Progress.

Supports and lower kitchen cabinet is in place and ready to be bolted down. The passenger side windows are framed and ready for the ceiling. All of the insulation is cut and ready to be installed and has been removed for one last check for water tight everything.

The electrical will be a work in progress. The solar is working but I still need to finish the the wiring for lights and outlets. I have a solenoid but have doubts about it being installed before I have to leave.

Major changes in floor plan. I will use less of the cabinets and that is OK. I MAY put them in storage for a little while if I think I will actually use them. So far I like how it's coming together and I never truly believed that I would be able to plan this out before I actually got on the road and living in it.

Plan A:
Leave home and drive to SD to establish residency.
Jamie's "Van Build" thing.
RTR
(some maybes - The Slabs, LA to visit some friends, Mexico to get some dental work)

Plan B:
Drive to Florida and establish residency.
Help my buddy clean up.
?

I may just go sell the car. Maybe to a buddy. He can have the service records and I'll give him a price somewhere between Carmax and Kelly BB. Another option is to have a hitch installed and tow it. I have doubts about flat towing a 2013 Hyundai Elantra so a dolly or trailer would be required. The thought of a trailer is something I've kicked around but have doubts. I'm just not sure.

My neighbor has been calling the bus Lexxi. I've been kicking around Rose, as in "Ramble on Rose", a Grateful Dead song that references a bunch of Sci-Fi and Horror stuff. The last thought is star ship themed. Mothership (bus). Shuttle Craft (hatch back). Scout (motorcycle), etc.

Rest will make for a more effective tomorrow but I want to go back out and work on my rig.

I go full time in 8 days.

Eeek ...

Progress.

Supports and lower kitchen cabinet is in place and ready to be bolted down. The passenger side windows are framed and ready for the ceiling. All of the insulation is cut and ready to be installed and has been removed for one last check for water tight everything.

The electrical will be a work in progress. The solar is working but I still need to finish the the wiring for lights and outlets. I have a solenoid but have doubts about it being installed before I have to leave.

Major changes in floor plan. I will use less of the cabinets and that is OK. I MAY put them in storage for a little while if I think I will actually use them. So far I like how it's coming together and I never truly believed that I would be able to plan this out before I actually got on the road and living in it.

Plan A:
Leave home and drive to SD to establish residency.
Jamie's "Van Build" thing.
RTR
(some maybes - The Slabs, LA to visit some friends, Mexico to get some dental work)

Plan B:
Drive to Florida and establish residency.
Help my buddy clean up.
?

I may just go sell the car. Maybe to a buddy. He can have the service records and I'll give him a price somewhere between Carmax and Kelly BB. Another option is to have a hitch installed and tow it. I have doubts about flat towing a 2013 Hyundai Elantra so a dolly or trailer would be required. The thought of a trailer is something I've kicked around but have doubts. I'm just not sure.

My neighbor has been calling the bus Lexxi. I've been kicking around Rose, as in "Ramble on Rose", a Grateful Dead song that references a bunch of Sci-Fi and Horror stuff. The last thought is star ship themed. Mothership (bus). Shuttle Craft (hatch back). Scout (motorcycle), etc.

Rest will make for a more effective tomorrow but I want to go back out and work on my rig.

I go full time in 8 days.

Eeek ...

Good luck! Here's hoping it goes off well.

Hey Zizzer, how's it going. You on the road?

House is sold. Proceeds deposited. Resadency changed and full time in the rig for the last week.

So far so good. Lots of progress made and I hope to be mobile next week.

Long term plans are a little up in the air but it looks lile FL, NV, AZ in about that order.