Tents at RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anewbiewannabe

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure where to put this.

I had hopes of getting to the 2016 RTR but my year didn't go that way. I'm trying to figure a way that I can get to RTR 2017 and I'm wondering if it is doable in a tent and if others use tents? I won't be in a position to buy a van in the next year that I know of but I'd still really like to figure a way to come.

Thanks!

I think some people slept tents. I know a lot of tents were set up. I didn't even bring a tent, I slept under a tarp. so I vote yes it's doable. highdesertranger

It's definitely doable with a few little mods!

Regular tent stakes WILL NOT work - the ground that is not rock is harder than concrete! Be prepared for really hard ground.

Sleeping even on a mat will probably give you fits. - plan on using a cot that will get you up off the ground. Even rolling off a mat/inflatable mattress will bruise your knees over the course of a few days.

Wind is a likely problem - make sure that your tent is strong enough to withstand a good wind.

While Bob provides a pottie tent, it is right in the middle of the event at the central meeting place and it's meant more IMO for emergencies than for regular use so come prepared with your own pottie facilities that can be put inside your own tent.

I had my Kifaru Tipi set up, but stayed in my cargo trailer. That said, if I didn't have my trailer I would not hesitated to stay in the Tipi. Last year there were a couple people I talked to that stayed in tents. One guy had a pretty good setup where he would use a cheaper dome tent, and wrap it in blue tarps. They added an insulation layer of air, protected it from UV rays, and helped with the wind. The biggest thing I would recommend would be to bring a big piece of cardboard, or a scrap of carpet to put under the tent floor. The Quartszite area of the desert is very rocky ground.

What they said above. 

It needs to be a good tent, heavy duty stakes(and a hammer), tied down well, and probably sleep off the ground.

If you do that it will work perfectly.

IMHO wind will be your biggest concern my friend brought a nice but tall tent and had trouble from day one while my diamond brand USMC tent was more than up to the job, Do it.

Thanks for all the info! :) Lots to consider it seems. Sounds like even though I have lots of camping equipment, I'd need some more or different (heavier tent) that I hadn't planned on getting. I'm trying to find new homes for everything I won't need in a van or keep for other reasons and I have to spend money wisely. I don't know if I'll have a passenger for sure yet---if it was just me I could sleep in my vehicle fine and take care of all I need with it, or adapt some things I already have to make sleeping more comfortable in a tent. I'm no stranger to roughing it but I am not able to rough it quite as much these days.

So, I have metal tent stakes and a hammer, but no longer have a heavy duty tent. I have a tent I wouldn't have to peg but it sounds like I might have to chase it down unless I find some big rocks to tie it to!!! LOL@me running after a tent. :p

I was just thinking I'd need a uhaul to haul all the extra stuff, but hmm, I could possibly rent a trailer one way and we could set it up as our shelter and avoid the tent since it's only necessary for the RTR part of a bucket list trip.

Glad I asked now before putting together a tent plan with what I have. I think it would be best for me to pursue a different direction to make it to the RTR and be comfortable.

Thanks! :)

This year the RTR was fairly warm, but you should be prepared for the upper 20's at night and the mid-80's during the day at extremes.

wagoneer said:
IMHO wind will be your biggest concern my friend brought a nice but tall tent and had trouble from day one while my diamond brand USMC tent was more than up to the job, Do it.

What kind of tent? Can you tell me what to put in the old googler?

John

Hey that's my tent exactly except the camo rain I have the desert tan rain. last tent you will need, got mine at the flea for 30 bucks
But mine is a one man one woman version, pink accents and floral covers, plus a place for a candle

Ken in Anaheim said:
I know these have been "wind tested and APPROVED" at many Burning Man get-to-gethers.
    You get what you pay for :    www.kodiakcanvas.com/flex-bow-tents/

KinA

I never got a chance to meet them, but there was someone at RTR with  Kodiak flex-bow. I've always liked those if you're car camping - to heavy and bulky to pack in with though.

Ken in Anaheim said:
I know these have been "wind tested and APPROVED" at many Burning Man get-to-gethers.
    You get what you pay for :    www.kodiakcanvas.com/flex-bow-tents/

KinA

Looks like a great tent.   I will have to see if there are any real world reviews on youtube for that kind of coin though.

anewbiewannabe The best solution that I have used on rocky ground is to bring an extra tarp to lay down inside the tent and weight the corners with local rocks or camping gear.  Extra buckets can always be filled with sand.  Also said:
Thanks for all the info! :) Lots to consider it seems. Sounds like even though I have lots of camping equipment, I'd need some more or different (heavier tent) that I hadn't planned on getting.  I'm trying to find new homes for everything I won't need in a van or keep for other reasons and I have to spend money wisely. I don't know if I'll have a passenger for sure yet---if it was just me I could sleep in my vehicle fine and take care of all I need with it, or adapt some things I already have to make sleeping more comfortable in a tent. I'm no stranger to roughing it but I am not able to rough it quite as much these days.

So,  I have metal tent stakes and a hammer, but no longer have a heavy duty tent.  I have a tent I wouldn't have to peg but it sounds like I might have to chase it down unless I find some big rocks to tie it to!!! LOL@me running after a tent. :p

I was just thinking I'd need a uhaul to haul all the extra stuff, but hmm, I could possibly rent a trailer one way and we could set it up as our shelter and avoid the tent since it's only necessary for the RTR part of a bucket list trip.

Glad I asked now before putting together a tent plan with what I have.  I think it would be best for me to pursue a different direction to make it to the RTR and be comfortable.

Thanks! :)

yes what ever you go with it must be able to handle wind. cheaper tents will not last long. I bought a el cheapo shower tent for RTR, the thing got thrown out at the end, the wind whipped the hell out of it. a helpful hint on whatever you use, on the guy wires use bungies this way the tent can give in the wind, it's a lot easier on the fabric. another hint use lighter bungies for lighter material and heavy bungies for heavy material. highdesertranger

Yes , yes , yes, bungies on tent and tarps make a huge difference ,not just for wind but for rain too!