Tent Camping On BLM LTVA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadicguy

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience tent camping on BLM land as an LTVA? I searched this site and could not find anything on boondocking on BLM LTVA.

I really don't consider LTVA as boondocking. I posted the regulations last year I believe. I will try to find them later unless someone beats me to it. if you are not self contained you must stay a certain distance from the outhouses. by self contained they mean a vehicle with a black water tank of a certain size. I have to run to work now but when I get off I will find the regs. highdesertranger

thanks Cyndi that's it. my post was kinda confusing. if you are not self contained you must stay within a certain distance of the restrooms. highdesertranger

Depending on where you are you will find wild things an issue too. Silly burros undid my guy lines more than once!

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_214924.jpg
    IMG_20160403_214924.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 23
The much bigger issue is the wind in the desert. I've known many people who came to the desert to live in tents full-time, I've never known any who did it a second year in a row. In fact, I've only known one whose tent survived the entire first year. If the wind doesn't kill your tent (which unless it's very expensive it will) the suns UV rays will.

Beyond that it's highly unlikely you will be able to sleep in that tent during a wind storm because of the noise and shaking (and cold) even if it does stand up through it.
Bob

I agree with Bob that wind is the big problem. It will blow constantly for days at a time. Even if it leaves your tent intact, your nerves will be frazzled.

I totally understand the wind thing. drives most people crazy, makes everything dusty including your food(Boy Scout pepper). for me though I just go with the flow. doesn't really bother me, it's mother nature, embrace it. I kinda like the rustling of tents and tarps. I know I am sick. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I totally understand the wind thing.  drives most people crazy,  makes everything dusty including your food(Boy Scout pepper).  for me though I just go with the flow.  doesn't really bother me,  it's mother nature, embrace it.  I kinda like the rustling of tents and tarps.  I know I am sick.  highdesertranger

I have camped in the desert and I'm aware of the wind issue, thanks for bringing that up, I had forgotten about it. Hmmmmm. I wonder if a TeePee Tent would make less noise, probably not.

There are a lot on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/teepee-tent

What do you experienced nomads think? I think I would get used to it, I would have to do a short test run. Just trying to keep my expenses as low as possible but at the same time be comfortable.
You know what that's all about.

I can't wait to head up North for a week or 2, the heat in Mesa AZ is getting to me.

A good dome tent spills the wind well.

I set up this teepee tent at the RTR and afterward, it did okay but the flpping is really bad and it destroyed the zipper very quickly:
http://amzn.to/2aKwQ4R

I'd consider a true 4 season mountaineering tent designed to be set up on top of Everest or Denali with the knowledge if it failed you died.

Figure on spending $600, it will not be big, and the UV rays from the sun will destroy it just as fast.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I set up this teepee tent at the RTR and afterward, it did okay but the flpping is really bad and it destroyed the zipper very quickly:
http://amzn.to/2aKwQ4R

I'd consider a true 4 season mountaineering tent designed to be set up on top of Everest or Denali with the knowledge if it failed you died.

Figure on spending $600, it will not be big, and the UV rays from the sun will destroy it just as fast.
Bob

Thanks Bob, you are right, the UV rays destroy everything out here in the desert. Sounds like a tent may not be an option.

Latest posts