Tension rod shelves?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyK

Reaction score
I know many of you use horizontal tension rods for curtains. Do you think they would work vertically to support shelves? I am trying to make my initial build as adaptable as possible, mostly using things from my house, but will not have quite enough storage with the shelves I have on hand.  I wonder if tension rod shelves would be a way to use vertical space to store lightweight, bulky things like toilet paper, paper towels, etc.—things that wouldn’t hurt anyone if they went flying. Once I’ve been in the van for a while, I can add more permanent shelving if/as needed.

This is something like what I have in mind, though the construction technique may vary. They use their shelves in a popup, though, and have to take them down for travel—and of course travel is the big concern. Thank you in advance for your advice.

https://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop-up-camper-maintenance/tension-rod-shelving/

I have used the wire shelving but used straps and self tapping screws to secure it. It works well but setting things on it like drink cups needs a flat surface, so some have thin plastic or plywood bottoms. I would think as long as everything was secured firmly it would work but I have never used tension rods nor would recommend them as everything I have is firmly screw or bolted to the floor, roof or walls.

Maybe you could get everything set in place and then put a screw through each rod so they don't compress. If you ever want to take them out later, just remove a screw from each rod.

This really doesn't sound very sturdy to me. Short term you would be better served by totes.

Thank you all, both for your skepticism and for your helpful suggestions on how to improve on this not-so-sturdy idea. I think skepticism wins.