Temporary curtain solution

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FortWorthVanNoob

Reaction score
My apartment lease was up and I had to move out. I'm still working on getting a quote for railing and real curtains so I had to improvise.

If you need a quick and dirty privacy solution go down to Lowes or home depot and find some of this stuff: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visqueen 

It is used by painters to keep the carpet clean and I'm sure many other applications. 

Here it is "installed:"

You could tape it up there if your surface allows, mine didn't so I used the panel screws.

Could be good for temporary but might be noisy driving with front windows down.

Some folks I've seen buy a set of pre-made curtains (2 pieces) the right length and cut them in half to make 2 sets.

We have pieces of Reflectics (silver insulation) that are cut to fit each window. Some remain in place all the time and the rest press into place or have magnets to hold them.
Keeps out summer heat and keeps in winter warmth while providing max privacy. The pieces store easily between the bed and wall.

Thanks for the link & info. I always like to see what others come up with. Good to know that stuff comes in silver. I'll look at it the next time I'm at the hardware store to see how reflective it is and how thick. Might come in handy as a temp shade tarp when I park for more than a day at friend's place that have no shade.

Like binding&us said, this is what I ordered:
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/22226063/components/1/43601769

I plan on cutting them off so that I have extra material. I'll put them up with either a tension rod or wire, whichever is easier & less expensive. They should arrive by mail this week. These will be for the divider between cab and back. A friend gave me some awesome material to use but it's heavy so I need a little time to work out how to hang correctly. This will be a temp solution.

I also have actual blackout material that I bought at the fabric store but I miscalculated the amount I would need so I needed a quick, inexpensive & easy solution. The blackout material still needs to be sewn into curtain form. Right now neodymium magnets are holding it up. Works while it's sitting in my parking spot at my apartment but need to get them more finished before I try urban camping in my neighborhood.

I looked at rails and 'regular' ways to hold up curtains in a motorhome or conversion van. Too pricy for me. I'd rather put the $ into something else. Plus, my experience is the sliding rail system doesn't work very well after a short time.

Thanks for sharing.

Gypsychic, I used cheap blackout curtains and a cheap shower curtain rod from Kmart. Probably cd have gotten it cheaper in a city, but I live rural, and Kmart is it.

Gypsychic...Reflectix (I had misspelled it) comes in a roll at different widths (16"/24"/48") and is reflective silver on both sides with bubble stuff sandwiched between. Its nearly 1/4" thick and fairly stiff (will stand by itself).
Its easy to cut to size and stays in place in our windows by press fit or magnets depending on the case.
I like it much better than those thin windshield sun screens.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13353-56291...cs&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=reflectics&facetInfo=

Some of our windows are covered in a semi-permanent manner by loosening interior trim and tucking the Reflectix in behind and tightening the screws.
I did a video on that....

Binder clips clipped to where the walls meet the ceiling work well for stringing twine to hang curtains on.