Tell us your FUEL ECONOMY for your setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<span id="post_message_1277263863">1996 Chevy Express van<br><br>Low top; Regency conversion (upfitted with wood trim, etc.)<br><br>350 5.7L V8 gasoline engine<br><br>Standard length (17 feet, I think)<br><br>Rear sofa bed and captains seats removed.&nbsp; No heavy framing inside.&nbsp; No tanks or battery banks.<br><br id="post_message_1277263863">Have not towed with it.<br><br>Mixed highway and town driving with a combination of flat and mountainous areas yields 17-19 mpg.<br>City only in congested area yields 14-15 mpg.<br><br>Surprisingly, running the A/C makes little if any difference.&nbsp; Clean air filter, correctly inflated tires, and properly maintained wheel bearings have made a difference.&nbsp; I drive relatively slowly, but consistent speed seems to matter more.<br><br>Vickie<br><br></span>

Good point, Vickie: we set our speeds by using the tach and engine speed. 39 does better than 35, for example, because the engine shifts to a higher gear around 39 mph, and the engine turns more slowly holding 39mph than it would 35 mph. Going faster for less fuel usage. 59 is better than 65 on the highway: slower rpm at 59, and less wind reaistance to overcome. Slow acceleration when speeding up keeps the top rpm below 2000 rpm, and saves fuel. That's just for our vehicle.

Is everyone using the same method for calculating fuel economy?<br><br>Step 1: Fill up your tank.&nbsp; (I don't keep pumping to round off the total, once it "clicks off" i squeeze it one more time until it "clicks off" again.)<br><br>Step 2: Reset your trip odometer or record your odometer reading.<br><br>Step 3: Drive<br><br>Step 4: Repeat Step 1<br><br>Step 5: Calculate your miles driven since your last fill-up and divide that number by the number of gallons you just pumped to refill the tank<br><br><br>I am pleasantly surprised to see the fuel economy some of you are reporting with gas V8 engines.&nbsp; If I can get 10mpg out of my Class A, I will be thrilled.&nbsp; I plan to fill up the tank in a week or so and take it at least 150 miles round trip.&nbsp; I'll report back.&nbsp; Whatever the number is from my first trip, I am confident I can improve on that number once I go through the engine and do a much needed tune-up.

Duramax 6.6L turbo diesel with an Allison transmission.

That's how I figure fuel mileage as well.

<span style="font-size: xx-small;"><strong>2005 3/4 ton extended crew cargo van here with 4.6L small block gas engine loaded ....</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><strong>hwy .... 17-18 mp</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><strong>local commuting .... 15 mpg</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><strong>local necessities 200 miles a month .... 10 mpg</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><strong>blkjak ....<br><br>
392550276.jpg
</strong></span>

I thought I would bump this thread in case anyone else has numbers they can share.

1982 Ford Econoline E-350 Transvan 24 ft., 460 ci, carburetor V-8, towing a 1996 Tracker/Sidekick.

I added a Gear Vendor overdrive to the 3 speed automatic, now a six speed and second over is a big help in the mountains.

Prior to Gear Vendor upgrade I got between 7 and 8 mpg, after upgrade mileage is between 10 and 12 mpg.

I drive at 55 because of towed, if I go up to 65, mileage drops by 3 to 3.5 mpg due to wind resistance. Mileage is the same with or without towed vehicle, speed is the variable that makes the difference.

Corky

@ Corky, How do you like the gear venders O/D?

'93 Jeep Cherokee, still get 20+ mpg with over 350,000 miles, she's earned her retirement, soon to get a van/ step van Duane

saldogwood said:
If I can get 10mpg out of my Class A, I will be thrilled.&nbsp; I plan to fill up the tank in a week or so and take it at least 150 miles round trip.&nbsp; I'll report back.&nbsp;

Hmmmmm......never updated his findings, and seeing that he's got a 454, I'm curious at how he came out.

I'm at the finishing stages of building a 1-ton hot-rod Peterbilt (YES, you heard that right).
It's built on an '84 Chevy six-pac chassis, and has the 454 w/ matching 400 turbo/auto. Seeing that I removed the original steel 4 door crew cab, front clip, and that huge bed, and that my Pete's cab, sleeper, and front clip are all aluminum...(so I've shed a ton of weight)...I'm realy hoping I can squeeze some deceint fuel mileage outta this.

The original pick-up was a toter for a huge 5th wheel, and I've still got the hitch set-up from it, so I've got ideas for a cool 5th wheel custom trailer/toy hauler to match my truck. :cool:

Patrick, Pictures, I've seen pics and sure many of us here would like to see more of your "Pete". I was wunderin' where you were goin' with the project. 5th wheel toter, Cool !

454, 28' class A weighing in around 13500. We get 8 on a real good day.
Before traveling again in spring we'll do a tune-up/carb adj and change all the filters in hopes of getting a couple more MPGs out of this thirsty hog. 10-11 would make us happy as a pig in muck.

Have an 88 Coachman High top on a Chevy G20 chassis. The VIN # says it has a 305 in it but there is a note hand written in the back of the owners manual referring to a 350. I haven't checked the engine number yet to see what it actually has. I just added up my miles driven in 2013 and divided it by the fuel bought in 2013 to get an overall average just a whisker under 12 mpg. Like 11.997. Usually drive at 55 to 60 mph.

1989 Dodge B150 Shorty. 5.2L injected V8 (wish it was a slant-6!) and 904 3-speed. 92,000 miles. About 10 in the city and 15 on the freeway if I stick to 65mph.

My 79 Dodge 4x4 van: 5.9L 4bbl with a A518 and BW1356. 8 in town, 10 on the freeway.

1989 Ford 3/4 ton E250 2wd. Rebuilt 302 to 9.3:1 compression with RV type cam with old mustang early heads. Ripped out old fuel injection and put on Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock 625 carb. City-14, highway upwards of 17mpg-19mpg on the flats... Have aod trans also.

I have a ford E350 extended van with the biggest hightop available with a 460 engine. It was a former handicap patient hauler with wheel chair lift. All that has been removed and fully converted inside. I have 700 watts if solar on top. It runs about 10 mpg in city driving and typically around 12 mpg on the open road.

Patrick

'84 Chevy Citation II V6 carbureted 4-door hatchback, carrying 1 man 1 dog and a minimum of gear for urban semi-stealth. When parked and tucked down, everything but the cooler is below the window line and people typically have to be right up on us to know we're in there. I get 25 MPG HWY @ 80 MPH. I did rebuild that carburetor, cleaned out a lot of junk from the EGR valve, other work over the past 7 years, yadda, but the carburetor, EGR, and that $20 tuning tool were the things that mainly brought the car to health. Would say 17 MPG on nasty forest service roads just barely crawling along. It's not meant for the woods but you'd be surprised what an old POS can do if you drive slowly and carefully. Anyone else know "the pothole dodge," LOL.

Sorry I missed that bit about "no cars." At least you know what you're missing. :)

Latest posts