TECHNO-GYPSIES

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelc

Reaction score
As I said the other day, I'm remodeling my Element as  micro-camper and going on the road. During trial runs I found there are many of us - maybe thousands- doing this. Most are skilled or professional and technically savvy. We aren't "homeless", just "houseless". Our reasons, gender, and status are all over the place. But we are learning to cope and setting up contacts and codes.

The hing is, I've become interested in this as a coherent community with it's on life style. I think it's a major wave of the future and I want to document it. I call it "The Third Estate", or "Techno-Gypsies".

I'd like to hear from/contact people interested in this, here or on the "Chatz" site under, Techno-Gypsies.

Happy Trails Ya'all.

Cool names.

My initial reaction is that it's best to keep the lifestyle as fluid/vague/under the radar as possible. The more 'concrete' and identifiable it becomes, the easier (and more tempting to power hungry politicians) it becomes to regulate.

(I could be absolutely off base and ridiculous)

I'm confused, what are you saying or what are you asking?

Major wave of the future? People have been living this lifestyle forever and it's become more popular over the years.

Please clarify what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm one of the originals.
Traveling around the country using electronic gear to make quiet sounds loud and bad sounds good !
Skuh kuh kuh kuh
Many of the first digital devices were found in my box of tricks and early uses of computers appeared in proprietary form in those little black boxes.
And of course I got paid incredibly large amounts of cash for doing it !!!
And also of course it now is worth less than the tax I paid on the original price.....
Techno gypsies.......hmmm we just called ourselves the band.

I think the Chatzy chatroom group discussion could help define the most common factions among us.  That should be a first big step.  (call those demographics if you like)  Retired Grandparents full timing,  Nomadic Bohemians,  Wanderers,  2-2-2'ers   New Starters, Techno-Gypsies,  etc.   Perhaps generate a questionnaire to test and measure people's interest and motives for going on the road. 

I would think this would be a beginning for Michaelc is seeking to do.  

I can understand the confusion as most of us just get into doing this and find our own way as we go. 

I've done it that way myself back when I was doing it.  Still I'd like to return to doing it before long. 

In the lower link in my signature line I've included a link to the Chatzy chatroom for anyone wishing to join in
any chat or discussion. 

Michaelc,  I'll send you a PM soon.

The real gypsies are the ROMA, and they are persecuted worldwide. There are over 1 million American Roma which 90% of live under the poverty level. They don't conform to our laws and ways, so they basically hide in plain sight.
I am currently "houseless" and hip deep in a Van build. I hope to be full time by next Spring. Since the work I do is easily done in a mobile platform, my rig will be an office when it suits me, and a vacation vehicle the rest of the time. I don't plan on advertising I live in my van, and hope to slip through the cracks in the laws.
This forum and the many you tube videos on the subject are all the publicity needed. rina is right, vague keeps people guessing and fewer laws enacted to try and regulate our lifestyles.

Cheli said:
I'm confused, what are you saying or what are you asking?

Major wave of the future?  People have been living this lifestyle forever and it's become more popular over the years.

Please clarify what you are trying to accomplish.

Yeah. To all the above. I'm saying, I'm a retired psychologist and scientist. I see many, maybe thousands, taking their model from the original Gypsies to cope with a new situation. The original gypsies survived (survive) by slipping through the cracks in their societies.
We are choosing this life style for a variety of reasons, but basically we can't or refuse the alternatives in modern society. We aren't advocating it for everybody. We're not proselytizing. It just happens a lot of us are moving in this same direction. 

Me? I just want to live this way peacefully and have others that understand to communicate with. Also, I'd like to study the development of this movement. That seems enough of an accomplishment.
II'd like to stay in touch.
Happy Trails.     M.

Gadget728 said:
The real gypsies are the ROMA, and they are persecuted worldwide.  There are over 1 million American Roma which 90% of live under the poverty level. They don't conform to our laws and ways, so they basically hide in plain sight.
I am currently "houseless" and hip deep in a Van build. I hope to be full time by next Spring. Since the work I do is  easily done in a mobile platform, my rig will be an office when it suits me, and a vacation vehicle the rest of the time. I don't plan on advertising I live in my van, and hope to slip through the cracks in the laws.
This forum and the many you tube videos on the subject are all the publicity needed. rina is right, vague keeps people guessing and fewer laws enacted to try and regulate our lifestyles.

Congratulations! Me too! Like the original gypsies, we hide in plain sight. If we became obvious, we' be persecuted too. I live under the "poverty" level - I'm not poor. In spite of having completed 2 full time careers, I just don't have much money. At 77 I dropped out.
Our situations are similar. I write some, barter some, and work if it is off the grid. I agree, anonymity is one of our safe guards. We don't need to advertise, or have distinctive clothes or customs - or volunteer where we live. We have distinctive minds and values - with the computers, smart phones, and a GPS, we can form our own "techno-society".

Humph, gypsy, roma, romani, nomadic, those are not all that dissimilar. For my 2¢ I'd go with a less stigmatized version and marry Geek and Nomad.
"Nomadeek"
Ok, now that I typed it I'm not so sure.

Third estate is a term already attributed the a government entity, the British house of commons, with the media being considered the fourth estate
not sure it's applicable to a bunch of free wheeling free thinkers

Gnomads ? Ticked off lawn ornaments....................

Maybe just stick with OP's title.

Matlock said:
Humph, gypsy, roma, romani, nomadic, those are not all that dissimilar. For my 2¢ I'd go with a less stigmatized version and marry Geek and Nomad.
"Nomadeek"
Ok, now that I typed it I'm not so sure.

Hey Matlock - I don't thin "gypsy" is that much  a pejorative any more - "geek"is now more so. The ones I've met are not really poor - just not much money. (The "Techno" part is critical. Those with no technology tend to be poor nomads - hobos.) Obviously you have E-technology tools.

rvpopeye said:
Gnomads ?          Ticked off lawn ornaments....................

Maybe just stick with OP's title.

I thought "Gnomads" were Harry Potter characters.  ; - )>

rvpopeye said:
I'm one of the originals.
Traveling around the country using electronic gear to make quiet sounds loud and bad sounds good !
Skuh kuh kuh kuh
Many of the first digital devices were found in my box of tricks and early uses of computers appeared in proprietary form in those little black boxes.
And of course I got paid incredibly large amounts of cash for doing it !!!
And also of course it now is worth less than the tax I paid on the original price.....
Techno gypsies.......hmmm we just called ourselves the band.

Yes. But you were one band - not a part of a nation wide group, and you used the electronics for money (music). We are technologically savvy people who use that to keep in touch, share information, and profit (may be money), AND we wander because it suits us and to stay off the radar.

Hippies 2.0    LOL

I can see a lot of "clean cuts" moaning....."OMG....they're back" !   (Please don't let it be the 60's again)