Tap a talk

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballenxj

Reaction score
I'm learning to use it now since my internet has gone down. [emoji20]
Any hints for ease of use would be helpful?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There is no ease of use with Tapatalk.

The development is a clown car experience, and they love to change the UI around at random after everyone got over the pain of the last aberation. I bought it and use it, but only when I am desperate.

Thanks folks. I was under the impression that Tapatalk had to be used for forum surfing via cell phone?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Interesting info on that forum page. I found Tap a Talk simply irritatingly limited in capabilities. Had no idea it had become "Ransomeware". Bad JUJU!
I will avoid like the plague.

I don't think they mean "ransomware" in the current black hat sense. IMO the app (as much as I dislike it) does not represent any unusual security risk to the user.

What the forumsphere needs is someone to develop an open source, non-annoying competitor to Tapatalk. One that you could use from a web interface on a PC if you wanted so you could manage all your forums in one place. It's such a neat idea done so very poorly.

I clicked on the link but I can't access it. What's scary about Tapatalk?

In my 24 years in IT, I saw far too many "great ideas poorly implemented".
I called it "programming to the dumbest common denominator".

TooManyDogs said:
I clicked on the link but I can't access it. What's scary about Tapatalk?

"First off, if you do not use Tapatalk to view the forum, disregard this thread. Second, if you don't use Tapatalk but are considering it now that you've heard of it, don't bother.
Very soon, American Adventurist will no longer support Tapatalk.

Why? In a nutshell, because what started out as a great app for forum viewing that helped increase speed while minimizing data use, has steadily gone downhill over the last couple years and has devolved into what we consider to be blatant "Ransom Ware".

As of now, they've become another "pay us or mandatory X" entity. Unwanted ads will be present on the app for our forum, Tapatalk users are (perhaps unknowingly) forced to host       photos/videos on Tapatalk. This creates a black hole for content here - your content intended for AAV is being diverted offsite.

Think about that long term.

Signatures (again, forced) have a Tapatalk addendum on them, and we lose control over the pop-up "Use Tapatalk!" spam on mobile browsers.

It recently came to my attention that Tapatalk even hijacks user accounts (you) and sends spam to other users on your behalf, urging them to use Tapatalk. This is simply unacceptable. And ponder this - if they can hijack your account and send spam PM's... What next?

Now, we can pay them $120 a year to stay their hand in all this nefarious control stuff, but it sticks in my craw. I don't care about paying for a service. What I care about is paying "or        else". It goes against everything this site was founded on. And the fact that they've forcibly done many of these things here already through their EULA says it all to me.

For me as the forum owner and an admin with "god powers" here on AAV, the occasional pop-up on the top of the page and being harassed to upload their app when I open the page is getting old... and the only way I can turn it off is if we pay tribute.

Their lack of business ethics coupled with the aforementioned abuses of power make this an easy decision. Effective 1 February 2017 American Adventurist will no longer support Tapatalk."

Thanks OP. I actually don't mind Tapatalk (much. The ads are annoying and there's been some odd login issues) but I'll definitely think about switching to just using the website.

Got a new oid tablet today, nd busy setting it up, I got around to signing in to this forum. Well, what do ya know? There was tapatalk sitting right in the  of where I needed to sign in! It acted like it was the only y I could get in. I finally figured out there was a little arrow I could hit to get it the hek outta my way.
Humpf!  :dodgy:

Ballenxj said:
Got a new oid tablet today, nd busy setting it up, I got around to signing in to this forum. 

Not old, A n d r o i d! The stupid spell check kept changing it to old