Taking the seats out

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderin.pat

Reaction score
Southern NM... currently living in an RV park
The question comes up every few days in this forum.  

Here's my perspective:  

In the early 80's, I had a job briefly where I had to pack a bunch of photo equipment, as well as my own personal stuff in a Fiat 128.  It was the "entry level" model.  Didn't even have a radio.  Point:  It was very small.  I took the front seat and back seats out.  I accepted that it would not be a car that I would pick up hitchhiker with ... or take a lady on a date.  

if you're trying to get as much stuff into whatever car you have, taking the seats out seems to be a new-brainer.  
If you have a dog , you'll probably want to consider keeping the front seat out.  

I've been forced to give up the truck and trailer I've been using for almost 2 years.  And to do tent-camping.  I've already taken out the rear bench seats, and if I push the passenger front-seat as far forward as I can while I'm camping, I can sleep there. I will crawl into the back with my dog. I want a place to retreat if the weather gets really bad.  

Hope this helps,

WP

I took back seat out of my 2006 Toyota Matrix to have additional room for my house battery and solar setup. I was going to trade in for Ford Transit Connect XLT to convert to camper van but wanted to tryout in the car first. Since I bought the car new and has less than 45K miles (I live in NYC and don't drive much) I figured if the car has major breakdown, I can junk it and buy a van. Trade in was offer at $5K so I figured it's worth experiment with the car that I own rather than buying a new van and realized living in a vehicle isn't for me.

I haven't completed the renovation but will do in the spring when weather becomes warmer. I bought most of the stuff except wood to make small cabinets. I bought 200Ah lithium iron battery, 100 watt solar panel which I'll connecting house battery to alternator for charging while driving to a camp site. Over the winter, I'll be testing out lithium battery in my apartment to see the performance while operation electrical appliance through inverter. I have AC charger with the battery.

I'm looking forward to next year where I can start testing phase of vehicle living.

the edit function works for everyone, no 10 post minimum. there is a 15 minute window when you are allowed to edit, after that you need a Moderator to do it for you. highdesertranger