Taking the plunge. Van purchase done!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optionsexplored

Reaction score
Well we are officially starting! The van purchase papers have been signed, we just have to so the $ part.

Nervous, excited, and other mixed emotions. 

The van is already built, so only minor stuff we want to do would be required. 

It's a super low mile 1996 Dodge Sportsmobile with pop up top. I've attached a picture and we have some more on our blog which we will try to update regularly. I say try because I've done blogging before and have not been super motivated to write. But we will give it another go!

Attachments

• FE58A77C-A633-45AB-BDF0-D4B31E42502B.jpeg
    FE58A77C-A633-45AB-BDF0-D4B31E42502B.jpeg
    95 KB
Welcome to the CRVL forums optionsexplored! Your van looks great! I've removed the link to your blog due to forum rules but please continue posting on the forum. Links are permitted once you've made at least 10 posts. We'll all enjoy seeing more of your van and following along on your travels!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

that should make for a very pleasant mobile lifestyle van

Nice looking van! I've seen one like that parked at our local Walmart during the last month. Where are you planning to travel to?

travelaround said:
Nice looking van! I've seen one like that parked at our local Walmart during the last month. Where are you planning to travel to?

Thank you!

We don't have any real plans yet, besides some general areas that we want to check out. Just going to go wandering and see where that takes us.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums optionsexplored! Your van looks great! I've removed the link to your blog due to forum rules but please continue posting on the forum. Links are permitted once you've made at least 10 posts. We'll all enjoy seeing more of your van and following along on your travels!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.  

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Sorry.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums.   

That is a very nice rig you have to get started with.  Mine has a fiberglass high top which is fixed and I love the headroom but I pay for it in gas mileage.   It does cut down some on fuel efficiency.

With that pop up top you will likely get better gas mileage while under way and once you stop and set up camp you will
have the headroom most of the rest of us with conventional Vans would love to have. 

I could see that pop up being the new must have for a lot of those here with plain Vans.  Thus having a convertible high top.

Is there a sticker with the name of the manufacturer of the popup located on it some place?

Thanks! We are very excited to get started but still a few months away due to some obligations that need addressing first.

I am not 100% sure if the pop top is made in house at Sportsmobile but it sounds like it is if you read on their forums and watch factory tour videos. One other option I have seen is Colorado Camper Van, but be prepared for sticker shock! I've read a build or two where someone found an old van with one and moved it over but that sounds like a big job.

Some people who stealth camp have suggested that it isn't too stealth, at least in the up position. But we'll probably not deploy it in situations where stealth is necessary.

LOL,  yeah I went there on Pinterest while ago.   :rolleyes:

You could buy an older high top Van for that roof top addition cost. :p

It would be interesting to see a universal kit made that attaches to the roof and includes
the canvas etc.  The part that would  be custom ordered would be the "Lid" that the mechanisms
attach to.  Thus when buying the kit you would specify Ford, Dodge, or GM so that you would have
the roof top that matched the contour of the Van's Roof to seal against it.  

A angle grinder with 6 inch diameter 1/16 inch thick disc could cut the hole in the roof.   Some silicone RTV and a 
few special pieces to fit into the roof arches (cut thru) could anchor the adapter in place and add to the structural integrity of the original roof structure. 

If I were doing it all over again I'd go this way.  In high winds and storms my fiberglass high top acts like a sail when the wind comes across it from the sides.   I cannot pull it down.  So I'm stuck trying to park facing the prevailing winds.

That is good info. We were originally looking for a high top so knowing the cons is helpful.

How are your tires and suspension? Do you have a good heavy duty setup? I am wondering if that would help at all.

I saw a high-top swap and they used some kind of oscillating cutter. They said it was way better than a grinder. No sparks and easy to control. Looked kind of like motorized scissors meets sewing machine meets grinder. I don't know what you'd call it. It was pneumatic and they got it for less than $200 from harbor freight.

I don't think it would be too hard to build your own fiberglass top for the contour. Some boat fiberglass people could probably do it too, way cheaper than these guys. The harder par to me is the mechanism. 

The top mold is probably the same for most full size vans. Only the contour is different and that appears to be more about how it's cut/radiused. It would be an interesting project. Wonder how strong gas struts would do? 4 of these maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/inch-Prop-Spring-Strut-Heavy/dp/B00Y3H319S

That thing is beautiful!! Sportsmobiles are great and often have heavy duty suspensions and 4 wheel drive added. Doesn't look like a 4x4 but maybe has heavy duty springs?

Yes it's just 2WD. No real easy path to change that but we will start with it and see how we like full time in a van and go from there.

It does have air bags added to the back suspension.

I would go with a heavy duty truck tire suitable for off road when you need new tires. That should extend your off road range and help prevent a blow out from a sliced tire.

Yeah. It has nearly new "Backcountry ATs" on there now, a Les Schwab brand. I'm considering what to do - may try them out and if I don't like them swap for something else. I'm a fan of the BFGs and Bridgestone AT Revos and would prefer to have them, especially since we won't be in the Les Schwab service area for all that long and I'd rather have something I can get shipped anywhere relatively easily.

I'm running General Grabber AT right now. Very rugged but getting a little slick in the wet after 20k miles even though the tread looks almost new. I'm thinking about trying Cooper tires next time.