Taking over a pet from a deceased RVer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaBLOOnie Boonster

Reaction score
At some point in life, we have to wonder whether it is a good idea to get a new pet. Will I outlive the pet?

Maybe it makes more sense to let people know that I am willing to take over the pet of an RVer who has died, and whose pet needs a place to continue being spoiled, living outdoors, and with their human 24/7/365.

I am convinced this is a good idea, but how could I make it practical? My offer would quickly drop into the charnel house of long-forgotten posts, so who would even know about it, after a week or two?

That is most kind of you.. So many pets get dropped at the pound or simply left to roam when their human companions pass...

I've made plans for my dog if anything should happen to me.

I'm not sure how to go about letting people know that you're willing to give an animal a home. It's a wonderful gesture though

One of my big fears is dying and leaving my Coco without anyone to care for her. ..Willy.

People have not been shy about telling me that if something happens to me, they want my dog. I think they are a bit more fond of her than me. Kinda like drop dead fool, I want the dog. Lol. I got her from an animal shelter a little over 8 years ago. She is a sweetheart. Back when I was working as a reefer mechanic she would go with me on road calls. Customers would call the shop and say send Nikki, (my dog). I would be outside in the heat, she would be inside with the secretaries sharing their lunch.

When you pass an RV park, stop at the office and ask if they allow pets. Then post a notice there. Keep track of all the places you post, so you can call them and ask them to take it down after you find your pup.

Willy said:
One of my big fears is dying and leaving my Coco without anyone to care for her. ..Willy.

It's one of my main concerns too. I have it all spelled out in my will but I worry about the time between when I croak and shelter for her (my cat). I've thought about rehomeing her now. 

Rob

Gunny said:
It's one of my main concerns too. I have it all spelled out in my will but I worry about the time between when I croak and shelter for her (my cat). I've thought about rehomeing her now. 

Rob

I had a heart attack 12 years ago. My biggest worry in the emergency room was I was living on a boat and had a cat locked up inside. After I got ahold of a friend to care for him I was OK. I was in CCU for about a week, then had 3 stents put in. I now have a dog. Who will outlive who is debateable, but until one of us goes, we are both going to have a wonderful life.

We adopted a senior dog about 5 years ago, estimated by me to be about 13 now. I am not planning to get more dogs when she and Rinnie, who will be 12 in May pass on to their just rewards but if I did, I would adopt a senior, lots of them available thru animal control. Yellow Dog came housebroken, leash trained and crate trained - who could ask for anything more. I had an older friend in her 80s who told me that she had arranged for her dog to be put to sleep (if it didn't go first) and buried with her when she passed away, she was adamant about this as she was seeing the result of what happens to the dogs of others. She was leaving her house and belongings to a niece since she had no children. Know what, if you couldn't be insisting that you wanted my care for my dog until its death, you wouldn't be inheriting squat from me, I'd give it to an animal welfare organization that would care for my dog.

I think if enough people read a post like the OPs, they'll remember it for some time as a possible resource if someone is looking for that situation.

I'd leave the house and my remaining estate to the dog, with the estate paying for food and the care for the dog earning it's caregiver free rent (but not ownership in any case) for the life of the dog
When the dog dies, the caregiver gets the boot
now that'd be a motivated caregiver :D

If something happens to you, the authorities will go through your wallet (unless someone steals it first). Put it in writing (maybe in several places) about who to contact regarding the pet.

ArtW, I think I read where leaving your 'estate' to a pet can't be done. Arrangements can be made, but you have to make them by including a person or persons.

Also, I read a book many years ago about a person who arranged what you had in mind, for a dog and a nice place on the beach in Malibu, CA. The caretaker was taking good care of the dog, but it was getting old. OLD, like about 20. It turned out that the original dog had gotten out the first year or so, and hit by a car. The caretaker buried the dog and got a lookalike from a shelter or somewhere, changed vets, and just kept going. The lawyer/executor never knew the difference.

I'd also 2nd taking a senior dog from a rescue or shelter. They rarely get adopted and spend years confined in them. I'm actually thinking about rescuing another dog and if I do it's going to be a raggedy old one no one else would take.

Shelter dogs would be a better deal if they knew something about them, esp for RVers.  As it is, they just take them in and send them out.  Biters, was never housebroken, child face-rippers, attack anyone in a uniform, get loose and they run like they were shot from a gun, escape artists, attack other pets or livestock or wildlife, chases cars and people, destructive, etc.  Just what's the plan if the dog isn't what you expected?  If it's aggressive? If it tears your rig apart? Just dump it back into another shelter? That's not a solution, you're just adding to the problem.

I've had dogs all my life.  The one time that I kept a found dog (after advertising) was mainly because she wasn't housebroken and she was a fence-climber.  She refused to be housebroken.  The local shelter has the policy of euthanizing dogs that are returned twice.  She's very sweet and non-aggressive (except for rodents), doesn't bother the cats or the chickens or ducks.  She is simply either the most stubborn or most stupid dog I've ever met.  Chow X Pomeranian, vet said about 8 yrs old when I got her, 16 now.  I hope to hit the road this summer; if she's still alive, she goes with me.  But she can't be let loose under any circumstances.  She has to be tethered indoors so she won't pee.  But there are worse types of dogs.

It would REALLY be better to know what you're getting.

I have already talked to my family about this event and I have no shortage of offers for my two pups. However, my family who wants them live in the UK and it is costly to ship animals from the US to the UK, not to mention the import requirements.

As such I have a small life-insurance policy set up with specific instructions that the money from that should be used to take care of getting my dogs from here to the family that they know and love across the pond.