Take-with list... in reverse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
I'm not finding this in a search so I'll ask here.

Ok some folks call it a bug-out bag (BoB) that you grab and go when the stuff hits the fan departing a S&B. I'm looking for a list and container or type of bag that you keep certain stuff in ... if, let's say your vehicle catches on fire and you have 15 seconds to abandon ship. Additional thought, this might also apply to a accident situation where the vehicle needs to be towed or it does not start and you need to lock it up and leave it unattended for some time frame, say a week. Also I should include a Zombie.. you know ....thing.....?

What stuff would you grab and what would you keep it in to make a really quick exit? We should assume that people/pets are #1.
I'll start, in no particular order,

Pants w/Wallet
Cell phone/mobile hotspot/charger
Laptop
Keys
Flash drives
Top 20 important papers; insurance, titles, passport, deeds, will, warranties, kept in a binder.
Six-pack of Snickers
All in a backpack.

I'm doing this now and am looking for anything you might see that I'm missing. And yes I take this with me into a restaurant as a rule just to lessen the possible vehicle break-in trauma.

Side note and maybe obvious to some, I do tend to over think things. But, it has been a lifelong burden so....

Sorry, but if I knew there was a six pack of Snickers in there it would never last. I prefer the emergency ration type bars. They are edible, but just barely. If you are hungry enough you'll eat it, but you have to be pretty desperate.

Good list though. Hope to see what others contribute.

A lot of variables in this:

Say your van catches fire and you have to bail out in 20 seconds.

If boondocking in the middle of nowhere, you may need some survival gear - a map and compass, water and water purification, some way to start a fire, maybe a sleeping bag.  Hopefully, you are wearing good, strong walking shoes and not flip-flops.

If it catches fire in the middle of an urban setting, all you really need is a credit card to pay for a motel room.

Time of year and climate?  Clothing needed for MT in the winter will be completely different than for AZ in summer.

Do you carry all your cash in your bail out bag, or leave some of it in a lock box in the van?  If you've got it all in your BOB, and you routinely take it with you to restaurants and such for "security", what happens if someone sticks a gun in your face and steals it?  If you leave most of it in the van, can it survive a van fire? 

Maybe you need more than one bag.  A small daypack holding minimal survival gear, which you can also carry on hikes away from the vehicle.  A nylon briefcase with your laptop, important documents, etc.   

Have you heard of the phrase EDC gear?  As in Every Day Carry gear? 

Maybe what you need is to wear cargo pants full time.  The large side pockets can carry a useful amount of stuff you don't want to be without.  Your cell phone.  A flashlight and lighter.  A leatherman tool. etc.  A whistle and small signal mirror are cheap and light.

Regards
John

daily medications

a  personal water filtering system like "life straw"

small metal can or cup.....can be used to heat water or soup

a folding drinking cup or pet bowl

a thin silver  "survival" blanket

fish hook. cord & .bobbers 

a small sharp folding knife 

ciggy  lighters and matches

If you google "prepper" or e.d.c bags or b.o.b bags you should find a lot of info

I watch jnull0 on you tube videos  he is a prepper/homesteader/hunter/former biker/family guy with a very interesting life story.......has a out take video showing some mistakes/ boo boo's caught while recording that always cracks me up.......oh yeah he has a hog named pork chop

Texas Jbird  and Queenie

These emergency rations are quite good so I added a pack to each of my recipes of bug-out bags I put together

*** Altoids tin survival kit *** as shown at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/emergency-altoids-tin/

Altoids tin or equal
Tin foil
3X5 card
Small lighter
razor or exacto blade
paper clips
safety pins
dental floss
bandaids
antibacterial wipes
pencil
water purification tablets
cotton balls or guaze
crazy glue
sewing needle
thread
matches & striker

Optional
fishing hooks, line, & weights
10 feet of 24 guage snare wire
section of a hacksaw blade

*** Every-day carry bag (my 24-48 hour bag) ***
Altoids tin survival kit plus...
watch
multitool
"wetfire" fire starter
can opener
flashlight
headlamp
poncho
pen, pencil, & sharpie
notepad
bandana
Ibuprofen & alergy pills
nail clippers
small first aid kit (more guaze, bandages, ointments, etc)
scissors
knife
hat
dog food
extra leash
USB flash drive with important docs
extra batteries for lights
cell phone charger
rubber gloves
dust mask
energy bars, peanuts, jerky
collapsible water bottle
extra glasses, medication, etc
emergency blanket
compass

*** 72 hour bag ***
watch
Multitool
Flashlight + batteries
headlamp + batteries
lighter & matches
can opener
"wetfire" fire starter
Poncho
Gloves
Hat
notepad, pencil, pen, & sharpie
various zip ties
paracord
long rope
hand warmers
two emergency blankets
duct tape
rubber gloves & masks
first aid kit
collapsable water bottles (1 to drink from, one for treating water)
fork & spoon & small pot or metal bowl
bandana
small tarp
hatchet
wire-type saw
light sleeping bag
Hygiene products: soap, wipes, sanatizer, ointments, nail clippers, sunscreen, tums, ibuprofen, toothbrush, toothpaste
Clothing: (oversizes so you can wear it over your current layer) long sleeve shirt, long underwear, two pairs of socks, sweatshirt
Food/Water: 1 gallon of water or more if possible, energy bars, jerkey, nuts, dog food