T-1.5 Weeks Until Vandwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nominous

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a soon-to-be digital nomad from Maryland and I'm looking to journey west in order to boondock on BLM lands and live the rent-free dream. My lease is up in a week and a half and I've been doing a lot of research these past few months into vandwelling/vanlife. Like a sponge, I've soaked up as much knowledge as possible from online resources such as the vandwellers, vanlife, askmechanics, and other subreddits, the RV and vandwellers wiki, and Youtube channels such as CheapRVLiving, MoBangFoYoBuck, Will Prowse, etc.

In order to save money, I've adopted a DIYer mindset and started repairing my gen 2 Toyota Sienna with hardly any auto repair experience beforehand. I've replaced head/tail/license plate lights, both rear drum brakes, and an inner tie rod end. The suspension-related jobs were a pain in the ass and some of the most difficult things I've ever done, but I'm happy that I probably saved at least $1k in parts and labor by doing them myself lol. I still have to replace the outer tie rod end, front L and rear R wheel speed sensors, and get an alignment before I get a safety inspection and permanent tags.

I should've done these repairs sooner since I haven't even started working on the camper conversion yet. Oh well, no use crying about it. As a digital nomad, I'll need a lot of power to power a laptop for about ten hours daily--preferably at least a 2,000~ Wh LiFePo4 battery. Instead of spending about $800 on a portable power station, I'm heavily considering building one myself using milk crates instead of plywood boards since I wanna limit the amount of holes I'd have to drill in my minivan. I've already learned how to do DIY auto repairs, so electrical systems shouldn't be too hard to learn from Will Prowse, Frater Secessus, etc. In order to charge the battery, I plan to add 400 W of monocrystalline solar to my roof racks and install a 50 or 60 A DC to DC charger (150 A alternator).

Concerning the interior conversions such as bed frame and cabinets... I guess I'll figure those out after actually living in the van and go through various iterations over time like I see some Youtubers doing. 😅 But yeah, lots to do and thankfully there's a ton of online resources available for adopting this lifestyle. Nice to meet you guys!

And welcome to the forum.

We had a little delay getting Nominous on-board with us but hopefully the wait will be worth it...

Thanks for joining the forum, Nominous!

Thank you guys, much appreciated. :)

Just going down the rabbit hole of DIY electrical systems and choosing which components I need. The portable power station I was eyeing became unavailable recently, so it was the final straw that convinced me to go the DIY route. I bought 4 x 100 W monocrystalline panels that I'm gonna mount like youtuber vuaeco did on his Sienna using aluminum angle. Milk crates won't fit the 3,584 Wh LiFePo4 battery and 1,500 W inverter I chose, so instead of trying to make a portable power system, I'm gonna go with a large piece of plywood after all. Not sure if I'll be able to attach it to a wall without screwing into the trim. Maybe lay it down flat instead and use ratchet straps? I'll guess I'll watch more Youtube vids to see how others do theirs.

The parts arrived for my ABS wheel speed sensors and rear wheel hub assembly, which I'll hopefully get done tomorrow. Suspension repairs have taken me a lot longer to do than expected since some problems always seem to arise lmao.

...DIY route. I bought 4 x 100 W monocrystalline panels... Milk crates won't fit the 3,584 Wh LiFePo4 battery and 1,500 W inverter I chose, so instead of trying to make a portable power system, I'm gonna go with a large piece of plywood... and use ratchet straps? I'l...
In our ExpeditionVehicle, we carry a crate of rat-sh*t straps.
Commercial-grade milk-crate style crates are usually available at your local Farm Ranch Supply.
We use the six-gallon rectangle crates.
Eugene Oregon.
We took our specifications to MAC'S BATTERIES AND SOLAR.
In three days, they assembled our sturdy new bank, and built a lovely new cabinet, then installed our sturdy new bank in the lovely new cabinet.
https://macsbatteries.com

In our ExpeditionVehicle, we carry a crate of rat-sh*t straps.
Commercial-grade milk-crate style crates are usually available at your local Farm Ranch Supply.
We use the six-gallon rectangle crates.
Eugene Oregon.
We took our specifications to MAC'S BATTERIES AND SOLAR.
In three days, they assembled our sturdy new bank, and built a lovely new cabinet, then installed our sturdy new bank in the lovely new cabinet.
https://macsbatteries.com
Nice, thank you for the tips. I plan on taking out all the seats in my Sienna besides the driver's one permanently and the mounting points on the floor for them seem to be the obvious areas to use ratchet straps on. I've marked them here on this image I found online:

sienna 2007 ratchet strap points 1.jpg

I guess I shouldn't think too hard about where to use ratchet straps and such until I get all the repairs done and I'm ready to start building the interior. The layout of everything from the bed frame, storage containers, electrical system, etc. will naturally determine it. Good call on the farm/ranch supply stores. Since I'm on a tight budget, I won't be able to make use of build services, but I'll keep them in mind. :)

Welcome …ready or not here you come 🥳

A great many folks are not 100% fully build finished in their nomadic life setups when they close the door on their sticks and bricks former homes.