SUV High Top??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traveler933

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of someone attaching a high top to an SUV? Specifically a Subaru Outback? Might be moving in to my outback and it would be amazing to increase the head space! I could even DIY this thing if needed, but then the question becomes, do you know if I can chop the roof off? I would need to do this behind the moon roof for the chopping portion which is fine. I would be ok with just the back 50/60% raised. 

I'm looking to do about 2 feet. Generally from floor to ceiling there is about 30in of head space. with my mattress that lowers to 26in :( 

Thank you all soooo much for any tips/tricks/advice you have! You all have been a treasure trove of knowledge for me thus far!

-Kurt

There is a lot of strange mods out there. A company overseas is selling something that is basically an addon that attaches to the rear, sort of a sleeper condo on a semi truck, fiberglass that is built on a hitch rack and I believe it it expands when parked. Cutting the top on a unibody car can cause some real problems. Why not put an enclosed box over the moon roof or replace it with a pop top you could open when parked?

yeah, I agree with Bullfrog, Structurally your looking at major issues with the vehicle you have, I have an 06 grand caravan(little headspace).. the idea is to make a living space outside of the vehicle with an awing system

You can not cut the roof off a unibody. Well you can but it would be very unwise. With a unibody the roof is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle. Highdesertranger

When fitting a high top to a vehicle the installer would bolt in a metal frame to support the opening, this can be angle iron bolted or welded together.

With the opening supported and reinforced a roof top cargo box can be bolted to the roof with a suitable silicone or rubber gasket to stop leaks and squeaks. Obviously, the base of the roof top cargo box is cut out to provide extra height.

The cargo box acts as a compact high top to which could be fitted waterproof fabric or plastic panels to make a soft sided or hard sided pop top.

Alternatively, an existing roof top tent can be bolted onto the roof (with a gasket) and the tent base panel removed to allow for standing height.

The roof top tent adaption would cost more than the roof cargo box because the former are more costly than the latter.

I intend to use a variation of the roof top cargo box method to build a hard sided high top, but instead of a roof top cargo box, I'll be bolting on a marine plywood roof built using the stitch and glue method of boat building, with the roof being the equivalent of an upside down tiny boat built to fit the roof opening!

All unibody high top installers reinforce and strengthen the roof opening prior to fitting the new roof, this is obviously important.

As described above, this can be done quite economically by oneself, without any welding being necessary.

Alternatively, one could have the roof reinforcement professionally made and fitted, it all depends on your budget and commitment.

I hope this helps.

Yes! Thank you all. I was going for more "stealth" by also using the trick of making up magnetic company logos to seem like i was able to move things for people. I wanted a high top instead of a pop up tent because it would look purpose built as opposed to the tent obviously looking like a tent. For the duration that I will be doing this, I might just get an awning of some sort or one of those tents that hook up to the trunk when i want extra headspace. I think that would be easier for a shorter time. I'll be urban stealth camping in different spots around the portland metro area and they have super crazy strict car camping rules... Surprisingly. Out of the 4 nights I've stayed in my car so far, I've gotten the knock once. I don't like those odds. Stepping up my spot selection and stealth!

I really appreciate your comments! I wasn't sure if the roof was structurally important because the dealerships thought i was pranking them.

If you seriously need/want a high top, you would be much better of to start with a van that has a high top.. even if your thought was possible, the cost alone to do it would be immense

Traveler933 said:
I'm outfitting a 2015 Subaru Forester for part-time use. One of the attractions of this model is the large sunroof. It sounds like you're looking for something more substantial, but this could be a cheap interim measure. I'm going to try one of these picnic food tents for some extra headroom, at least when its not raining. It certainly won't help with your stealth concerns. I've looked for one that includes a rain cover, doesn't seem to be any such thing. This one seems to have the most headroom. It looks like it has a swewn-in floor, cut be easily removed and might be helpful for a good seal (thinking magnets.) There are plenty of smaller, simpler ones on Amazon, but this looks well made. https://picnicpal.com/product/picnicpal-plus/ 
PP-image.jpg