Survey Results: What Do Americans Think about Van Life during COVID?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting data presented in that.   I'm sure there will be other reports on this subject to come now that this one has been published. 

I'd like to see a study like that on what the most livable rig would be viewed as being for a full time Nomad.

Thanks for posting that.

I’m sure a lot of people do van life for a lot less than most of those in the survey out of necessity. I always feel slighted as couples especially older couples are often in RVs and manage to live almost as cheaply as one person in a van. Vans in general have gotten expensive to repair and maintain. Old pickup trucks are more plentiful, cheaper and easier to repair and maintain. Cargo trailers cost about the same or a little more than vans to build out and the same skills are necessary. Even old poorly built camping trailers if they have been kept dry are much cheaper to buy than a van which has to be built out. Almost any place it is legal to park a van and live in it is possible to do so in a pickup with a small cargo or camping trailer. For a couple that require slightly more room than a single van can offer it is much cheaper to live this way than maintaining and building out two vans. I think we will be seeing more and more families needing to live our lifestyle cheaply after this pandemic has caused so many evictions. Recommending a van is a good solution for one person but we need to be more open to other solutions for couples, especially couples with families. I think HOWA would be wise to do assembly line type basic box builds that could be installed into a standard cargo trailer or on a standard utility trailer. The simple minivan builds are great for individuals but something larger for couples and families should be looked into as well.

That is very interesting. I’d like to know how many were surveyed when they say hundreds and was it done as a professional scientific survey., And What were the democratics of those surveyed. If you ask a lot of younger people there’s much more awareness of van dwelling. Among older Americans a lot of people think it’s still the old fashion idea of the poor man who can’t survive any other way. I don’t think that this demographic is aware of how up-to-date our vans are with solar and refrigeration and other improvements. I think most Americans are not aware of the vast number of people who live in their vehicles including RVs. The younger generation spend more time on their screens for entertainment see the glamorous Young van dwellers. These “dwellers” are the ones that I call the bikini Van dwellers. They sell views of the young lady with as much skin as possible to get more hits on YouTube. My opinion is these people aren’t even real van dwellers for the most part. It is interesting to me in this era of “ Me too“ that they prostitute them selfs this way. Yes it may be unpopular but I believe it is a form of prostitution. It sure is taking advantage of the sexuality of a woman and profiting from it. But I guess I’m getting off subject. it sure is an interesting article I wonder how far and wide it was read.

"35% would live in their van by the beach". The naive dream. Sounds great, until you get to almost any beach and find out no camping is allowed.

Texas has camping on the beach but I won't camp there. I hate the clammy feeling the salt air gives me and heaven knows what the salt does to my vehicle (and SAND).

I love down by the river (or lake, or stream).

Sand flies will eat you alive. They are little clouds of hell, make mosquitoes almost pleasant. I usually walk above the beach, don’t even bother with the walking path because too many bikes go into the walking path but sometimes I take off my shoes and walk at the water until I can’t stand it anymore (about 3 minutes) Maybe other states don’t have them? Plus the air is hot and clammy in the summer and in winter freezing at night. Grew up sailing and I know people don’t know how cold the ocean (and desert) get at night. Lots of romantic notions floating around.
Maybe I’m doing the same thing with my WNY fantasies. But I can always live in a van in the winter in a warm place while my pipes freeze. And get your mind out of the gutter Mr. Sturgis. ?

I think we will see more people living in autos by necessity.This pandemic has thrown a lot of people out of work and out of their homes.It's not going to get better anytime soon.

Although the writer references choosing to live in a van due to pressures from the pandemic, he does not discuss difficulties of travelling during a pandemic, like lockdowns, campgrounds and other businesses closed, 14 day quarantine after arriving at a destination, paying tickets because you travelled during a curfew, etc. 

Also I thought the writer overstated the van prices. Aren't most conversions built on used vans? Most of the build threads on here discuss starting with a used vehicle.

Otherwise, an interesting article.  -crofter

Lol so true. I was looking locally on Craigslist (in my county) for RVs and found a built out van in Hollywood WITHOUT a bathroom for $75 said:
Yeah...  'down by the river' is much more likely.

The $/square footage argument is irrelevant. It's about monthly/annual costs. Mortgage/rent vs. vehicle payment (if any). Utilities, insurance, etc.

So true, I consider my annual costs when doing the budget, not square footage.    -crofter

@LERCA
The $75k Hollywood instagram van without a bathroom works because virtual dwellers use the virtual bathroom instead.  -crofter

Living in the van will save me $180 a month, provided my gas expense is about $300 a month.
That's not really any significant amount of savings, considering you give up unlimited water and house comforts, but seeing the country and going to places I have never been, is the main motivation.

MrNoodly said:
The $/square footage argument is irrelevant. It's about monthly/annual costs. Mortgage/rent vs. vehicle payment (if any). Utilities, insurance, etc.
Agree... The article also fails to factor cubic feet when it comes to van builds. Not sure if they have ever seen a van build before.

Sofisintown said:
Living in the van will save me $180 a month, provided my gas expense is about $300 a month.
Ill get to realize a monthly savings of pertneer:) 1000$!/ Month.... depending on driving.

It's an easy choice.
I'm ready!

We are staying put at the S&B for now, a difficult decision for sure since the weather is just about perfect in these parts.  A minor accident, medical issue or mechanical breakdown could have consequences for us, as well as stressed support systems in the small towns we like to travel through.  Since we can exercise that option, we will.  We have been slipping out to local parks for walks and sweet naps in the van under trees, because we are van spoiled!

As for beach camping, our limited experiences in Florida and Texas have been like out of a dream.  Really.  Sometimes we watch videos we've shot, look at one another and say:  "That will never, ever happen again, will it?"  I'm talking 65 degrees, no wind, no bugs and not a soul in sight up or down the beach.